• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What speakers should I pair with a Realistic STA-90 receiver?

djt64r

New Member
I've inherited my dad's old Realistic STA-90 receiver, but have no speakers for it at the moment. In general, what should I look for in a pair of new speakers that would pair well with this particular receiver. I mainly listen to vinyl on a Technics SL-B2 TT. The receiver has an output of 45W RMS, correct? So I am guessing a speaker in that RMS ballpark, but I am looking for suggestions!
 
Register to hide this ad
45 watts will run almost anything, so I'd start by hitting thrift sales & the local sale sites like CL, if you're on FB (unlike me) marketplace, garage sales, flea markets (take yer VOM or DMM to test for continuity). Couple years back, I found a Fisher CA-880 integrated amp & a pair of Klipsch Synergy B-3's at a local non-profit's yard sale for $30. Everything good, those speakers are mind-blowers for their size. Perhaps a larger-size set of bookshelf monitor-type speakers would be a good start. Be sure, if looking at used speakers, that you inspect all woofer surrounds, anything with foam is already or going to need refoamed at some point. Happy hunting! And welcome here, there's a separate welcome/introductory forum for that, you missed it. This should be your second post after that.:D
 
Thanks for the replies! I’m not opposed to buying a new pair of speakers either. If I went this route, should I just make sure the new set are around 45W rms and 8 ohm? Is there anything else to look out for in a new set of speakers?
 
Don't get hung up on the speaker watts number. ANY receiver can drive ANY speaker as long as you follow this simple rule. "If it starts to sound strained, funky, or just plain bad, turn it down IMMEDIATELY!!!"

FWIW, the STA-90 is a great receiver. I sold more than a few of the back in the day.
 
How about get a kit and build your own. Human Speakers sells kits I believe...

Also maybe some of the older Genesis or EPI speakers. Solid choice but may need refoaming...
 
Back
Top Bottom