• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What SS Integrated Amp to Buy

I have a Rotel RA-1070 that I think very highly of. Had it five years, no problems, love it. Very neutral sound which I like and I bought the matching tuner to go with it. The phono stage is good for a modern integrated but I bought a tube pre-amp so it doesn't matter anymore. Rotel makes a really good product. If you want vintage SS go for the 70's Pioneer SX's or Sansui's.
 
Hi, I am new to this forum and found this forum to be great for information.

PR Audio, have you consider the Pioneer A-400? Not the other models that follows after this model... example the A-400X... etc.
A-400 has a little of everything and a good all rounder in my opinion, a musical amp too. I have one and could not part with it, even I have move on to others, as it still never fail to provide me with a smile.

I have an AudioLab 800A too, also a keeper that I stay with... but my preference is still over the A-400.
 
Here is the deal:

The Rotel went for $85.00 + freight, and I think that it was too much for Rotel, considering their resale value. The Creek I slept too much on it, when I was going to Buy It Now it had sold a few minutes before. So, I made an offer to the guy with the NAD 3150, let's see if he accepts. If he doesn't the hunt continues, so keep your suggestions coming, and remember that the budget is $200.00 tops with freight.
 
Here is the deal:

The Rotel went for $85.00 + freight, and I think that it was too much for Rotel, considering their resale value. The Creek I slept too much on it, when I was going to Buy It Now it had sold a few minutes before. So, I made an offer to the guy with the NAD 3150, let's see if he accepts. If he doesn't the hunt continues, so keep your suggestions coming, and remember that the budget is $200.00 tops with freight.

There's a PM 665 currently listed at auction on eBay; starting bid $150, no bids last time I checked...
 
NAD 3150 is being considered due to it's sound and excellent phono stage; though reliability is a concern.

Reliability should be a concern for all units listed. Old stuff is old, and its going to fail a lot sooner now that when it was new.

I'd go with the NAD, its newer.
 
...and isnt anyone going to mention the Kenwood KA 7100?..this is a powerhouse amp,solid as a rock,better than average phono stage, with that sweet kenny sound...and still reasonable on EBAY...you might find a Kenwood KA 8100 if you look...Ok theres another "IMHO" for ya...
 
i think you can gather from the OP that 70s silver-faced gear probably isn't what he's looking for.
 
kenwood, sansui, pioneer, all made fine Integ SS amps. Had a KA7100 60 watts and have a Sansui AU517 at 65 watts. Both sounded excellent. Am Keeping the Sui. Very "tuber" sounding
 
There's also a Harman Kardon PM655vxi (90 WPC, "champagne" face) on the 'Bay, $139 BIN with free shipping. I was tempted, but I just scored a Denon PRA-1100/POA-2200 set off my local CL, so I have my amplifier fix for the nonce!

I also found a blackface PM645vxi for $145 BIN, $20 flat-rate shipping.

I'm deleting my "harman amplifier" searches so no more HK spam from me in your thread...
 
There's a PM 665 currently listed at auction on eBay; starting bid $150, no bids last time I checked...

Watching it, recently purchased an HK 330B receiver for my office, at around $40.00 with shipping I consider it a great deal, as it sound excellent.

i think you can gather from the OP that 70s silver-faced gear probably isn't what he's looking for.

You are right, and I like it when people stay within the OP's needs. But, after researching, and from past experiences I am including some vintage "silver faces" in my list. Among them is the HK PM-665, Marantz 1060 (high on the list), some Sansui's, and though looking for an int amp, have added Pioneer SX-980 to the list.

I'm a sucker for Marantz!

I'm deleting my "harman amplifier" searches so no more HK spam from me in your thread...

Actually enjoy the suggestions...The "hunt" is the fun part, once I hear them I start thinking what will be the next prey. I see a Creek in my future, just need to find the right one. This one is to give to my father as a gift, to go along with the Pioneer PL-518 TT I just gave him.
 
Last edited:
Denon PMA-900V. A really nice sounding with lots of power, MC and MM, and lots of inputs.

Just google it, and look at these forums. Its a awsome amp.
 
Reliability should be a concern for all units listed. Old stuff is old, and its going to fail a lot sooner now that when it was new.

I'd go with the NAD, its newer.

Understand your point, but can always fix. Anyways, knowing how things are I'm sure that whatever I get will end up under surgery with caps, resistors, power cable, etc. being "upgraded".
 
Well won the Marantz 1060 (wooden case missing). Besides missing the wood case, it is in very good condition, so a 1060 it is. My father loves to do woodwork (a way to keep my mother of his back), so I'm sure he will enjoy fabricating a case similar to the original one.

From what I have read the 1060 has one of the best MM phono stages in the business.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom