• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What started you on your audio journey?

Before I joined the service. Dad picked up a Yamaha CR-620,YP701 and NS-690's.I threw on my new DSOTM album.. The rest is history..:music::rockon: Then I got stationed overseas in Germany . Ohh Yeah...BX and Audio/Photo Club....:banana:
 
I remember being a Kid in the Sound of Music Store Dad opened in Nassau, The Bahamas, prob late '60's
He was in the Canadian Navy as a radio tech, returned home to work at the National Telecommunications company (late 50's).
Was one of a gang of 3 who built a couple AM radio stations for the country out of left over US military gear left behind post WW2.
Later he introduced Phillips Equipment to the Bahamas, and we always had music playing, as there was no TV to speak of.
3-4 Miami Fla Stations could be received on occasion (Good weather) via 60 ft tower and a multi element antenna and booster.
He would take me to any one of the three Drive in Theaters when they called him to fix a buzz/humm in their sound system. Night time service calls!
Same with the regular Movie theaters. And not to forget the pre-Christmas Record Player Tune-ups he did for a whole slew of older folks. New Needles and belts.
He also Fixed, on occasion, the Pipe Organ Mum played at Church for better than 40 years. I Went with her to practice on Thursdays, would sit in the middle gobbling up the sound.
Dad would always leave his Phillips Tube amp playing at night, quietly, on a timer, so I grew up listening to "WLYF" from Miami, easy listening station on FM, via the tall TV antenna.
Reel to Reel players would come out on Sundays, I remember an Elizabethan RTR, tubes. And a Phillips.
So the Music bug came from Both Mum and Dad, the gear bug from Dad. I still listen to easy listening music on Sundays. Big Band through Brubeck, Englebert to Mancini.
 
My 10 year older brother and his band jamming in the house (c1976...9 years old) was a definite influence...woke up one night to the sound of a funkin' alien invasion...Edgar Winter's Frankenstein would be my guess...an 8-track deck had somehow been plugged into the Magnavox (?) furniture looking thing in the living room...other memories include listening to DSOTM on a nice rack system in some teacher's apartment in 9th grade while smoking some dope....teacher wasn't there so that might have been a little B&E since no sane person gives the keys to bunch of unsupervised teenagers :beatnik:
 
Mid to late 70's, everyone had a stereo. Some were better than others. Friend subscribed to Stereo Review and passed his copies on to me.
I started with low $ so-so components and have progressed through the years to better components to separates to where I am now. Mid-fi, but I'm happy.
 
Dad had a crappy Motorola console. Still, I figured out the sweet spot as a pre-schooler. By junior high, the tweets and midranges were blown...not my doing. Bought a cheap system in college, brought it home over Christmas. Dad upgraded soon after. It's been a long and winding road extending over half a century.
 
In high school in the 60's. a friend's father had a TV repair shop and had a home system that had an AR turntable, a Dynaco preamp and power amp, and a pair of AR3's. That was all it took
 
I've told the story more than a few times. Not much music in the house growing up but my dad had a great tube stereo that he'd play music on at Christmas and Easter. In HS, my sister would have parties at the house when my parents were away, the stereo they had rocked! College years-bought a pair of New Large Advents and a JVC receiver-came to appreciate jazz because of a roommate, had many many cassettes I recorded on a TEAC deck. College, marriage, kids-wandered through the BPC era with receivers hooked up to the TV and lots of CD's (tossed my cassette collection :no:).

Have a good friend Pat who had a gathering at his house several years back. Pat collects vinyl ("LP's, records not vinyls"). Those present were arguing the fine points of solid state vs tube superiority. I mentioned that I had my dad's tube gear in my garage after he passed away, thought it was made by Marantz. Pat said "Leave now, go home and call us with the make and model number". I left, called back to say "Marantz 7/8b?" He said "Google it". The rest is history. Started at the top and went all sorts of directions from there. Built a collection of gear to work on in retirement in a few years. Still have my Advents, dad's Marantz gear, his Roberts RTR, and his Bozak 302a's. Upgraded the Garrard to a Thorens, not doing much with cassettes these days.
 
The Magnavox Astrosonic console that my dad purchased in the mid ‘60’s. I was fascinated with how it produced music from a vinyl disc. I could watch and listen all day. I was also intrigued by the 12” woofers and horns when I took the back off one day. Dad was pretty cool about that! I’m still fascinated.
 
Back
Top Bottom