• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What The Heck Happened?

steveh1155

Active Member
Have a Bell 2425 receiver that I thought I would try out some other output tubes (uses 4X RCA 6V6GTA, and as I was powering it up today, I was watching the tube filaments start to glow and about 10 sec into it (about the time the plate voltage came up I suppose) I heard a pop from the right channel and the tube I had stuck in as a replacement started to glow blue inside the plate structure - within 1 sec I hit he power off. Now I'm too freaked out about it to put the old tube back in and try it again. What's the likelyhood of this just being a tube failure? I have a Triplett 3423 tester and the tube checked out fine - no shorts, leakage or gas and normal conductance. It was a Silvertone 6V6GT. (without the A on the end). I replaced all 6 coupling caps with orange drops a couple months ago, so I wouldn't think one of those failed already. Are the GTA tubes rated a little different than the regular GT?
 
Register to hide this ad
Had similar experience with a 6L6 organ amp...sounds in one channel and fireworks in one 6L6 tube. Replaced with another 6L6 tube, all fine. I'm no expert so can't comment further, hope it's as easy in your case as it was in mine.
 
Back
Top Bottom