• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What the hell is up with APO SACD's

grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
So I have a few of the older Analogue Productions SACD and the cases all measure the "standard" 4 15/16th. Basically the same standard height as any CD. Well I got a couple of new APO's yesterday and the dam things measure 5 3/8ths tall. How in the sam hell are these supposed to fit in my rack which is a pretty standard height of 5 1/8th.

Switching to the new format cases that are nearly 1/2" bigger was a silly move on their part ! I am not going to buy new racks just to accomodate the APO's. Why in the world the size change ??
 
Register to hide this ad
More than likely to differentiate CD's from SACD's.

SACD have always had a slightly longer case with the words SACD on the inside front spine. Why change it now is what id like to know.
 
I've a few CD box sets where the outer box is too wide.

As do I but mostly imports. Still don't get why they did away with the Jewel case and went with a much larger Paper cover.
 
I've observed that jewel boxes are prone to cracking when not shipped in a box. Also, someones are probably making money with the change.
 
They might not fit in your old rack but they still fit in my hard drives no matter the size of the packaging.
 
I just made myself a "flexi" CD rack. Good thing I looked at all my CD's before setting the height because most of Ty Segall's output on Drag City are a smidgen under 5.5" tall. None are SACD though. I could have probably gotten one more shelf in if I could have gone to 5" height. That's the price to pay for listening to the Gawd of Garage Rock. :)
 
I ended up setting aside one shelf for those ... better than having to revamp the entire storage system so I could keep them in correct order ... (mumble grumble). Mostly DVDa and other such video concerts ...

They're doing the same thing with books as well ... pure dumb luck I left some extra height when building the cases ... that was originally planned to let the books "breathe" a bit in storage ... also helps that I made the shelves adjustable, so there's a bit of wiggle room built in.

Wouldn't be so bad if they'd decide on a new size though ... looks like my "book of the month" club has gone to more of a "size of the month" club, all from the same publisher. With over a thousand books now, I can see where that could get ... complicated over time as the collection grows ... (mutter mutter grouse)

bedroom-library.jpg


PS ... the missing book. Currently re-reading The Expanse series while watching the SyFy series ... so far, the show is staying pretty close to the original ... highly recommended! :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
I slide 'em in sideways or put them on top of the rack. Where there is a will and all of that. Personally, I like the fact that the cases vary in size. Kind of like books they add interest visually.
 
I'll shoot some tomorrow showing the diff in cases.
 
The AP Beach Boys I bought a few months back all came in standard heigh jewel cases.
 
The people that make a living in marketing just make **** up so its "new and improved" and then sell that crap to the retailers.

Too damn many morons needing jobs.
 
Back
Top Bottom