Hey guys,
I just purchased a ortfon 2m red to try out on my JVC QL-y66f on the straightarm it came with. The wires were slightly damaged on it to begin with so I decided to remove a screw at the base of the arm tube and slide off the connection point between the arm and the arm base. This connection point has the 5 tone-arm wires attached to it. Well since I'm such a noob I didn't know there was that 5th wire inside my tonearm so when I pulled this connection out, which also pulled the other 4 wires out of the tone arm like I wanted to do, a 5th wire suddenly appeared! It looks like the 5th black ground wire must have been attached to this small v shaped piece of metal I can see towards the back end of the tone arm tube. I haven't tried to get that piece out yet because it is in there pretty snug, I think it is a tension clip that expands after sliding it in the tonearm tube. Well the 5th black ground wire is just open at the end with clean copper wire exposed. There is no way I will be able to reattach it to that v-clip inside the tonearm unless I can manage to get it out. Can I ground it to the tone-arm tube any other way? It's a fairly short wire and only goes in to the tone-arm tube about 2-3". Does the wire simply have to make a snug connection with the tonearm tube itself?
I just purchased a ortfon 2m red to try out on my JVC QL-y66f on the straightarm it came with. The wires were slightly damaged on it to begin with so I decided to remove a screw at the base of the arm tube and slide off the connection point between the arm and the arm base. This connection point has the 5 tone-arm wires attached to it. Well since I'm such a noob I didn't know there was that 5th wire inside my tonearm so when I pulled this connection out, which also pulled the other 4 wires out of the tone arm like I wanted to do, a 5th wire suddenly appeared! It looks like the 5th black ground wire must have been attached to this small v shaped piece of metal I can see towards the back end of the tone arm tube. I haven't tried to get that piece out yet because it is in there pretty snug, I think it is a tension clip that expands after sliding it in the tonearm tube. Well the 5th black ground wire is just open at the end with clean copper wire exposed. There is no way I will be able to reattach it to that v-clip inside the tonearm unless I can manage to get it out. Can I ground it to the tone-arm tube any other way? It's a fairly short wire and only goes in to the tone-arm tube about 2-3". Does the wire simply have to make a snug connection with the tonearm tube itself?