• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What to Do If You Suspect Seller Of Shilling His Own Item

Stanton681EEES

Addicted Member
May be a mooot point cause I can't really proof it other than the shill bidder signed up day auction ended and hasn't bid since on any items and we are talking about two weeks since auction ended.
Do you think ebay would look into it.
Plus if i report seller to ebay due I have anything to fear from seller
Because he already left me positive feedback, but I'd be most worried about threats and nasty phone calls and what ever else he could do.

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
What to Do If You Suspect Seller Of Shilling His Own Item
Most importantly, DO NOT BID!

Since your's will be the only report regarding this seller/item, ebay will likely dismiss the report as "bidder's remorse", which is exactly how this appears since you completed a transaction.

just my .02 ya understand?
 
It seems like everytime people end up paying more than they really wanted to they suspect some sort of fraud. I suspect this is happening much more often than it really is.
 
Sometimes I might make 2 or 3 sucessive bids in small increments just to get a feel on high bidder? Is this someone who sets a bid in the minimum amount over the last one? Or is this a bidder who actually sets his buying price and leaves it. Helps me decide if I bother watching the auction or not.

Is this shill bidding?
 
willyrover said:
Sometimes I might make 2 or 3 sucessive bids in small increments just to get a feel on high bidder? Is this someone who sets a bid in the minimum amount over the last one? Or is this a bidder who actually sets his buying price and leaves it. Helps me decide if I bother watching the auction or not.

Is this shill bidding?

As long as you're not the seller, no.:D
 
I have a few sellers in my favorites that always have good equipment to sell. I do as Willy and bid incrementally to a point, and then usually bid an amount that I can afford. A few of these sellers end their auctions late at night, and I am usually in bed. Good for me because then I am not tempted to bid higher than I wanted, but I usually lose. But looks like I might be bidding it up, but like someone said, only bid what you are willing to pay.

I have had auctions where there were no bids, and somebody with no prior transactions would come in and bid, and then wouldn't bid at the end. Looks suspicous, but knowing that ebay is like gambling to some people. I am not always sure now.
 
bowtie427ss said:
Most importantly, DO NOT BID!

Since your's will be the only report regarding this seller/item, ebay will likely dismiss the report as "bidder's remorse", which is exactly how this appears since you completed a transaction.

just my .02 ya understand?
There were 3 total bids first bidder bid early and was only bid till what I'm suspecting is the shill bid then I bid with 12 seconds to go and won.

Thanks.
 
What I do sometimes if I suspect shill bidding, is look at some of the persons other auctions. You would be surprised at what you might find. Even the same user names at times driving the price up. I just do not bid if I suspect a shill is up.
 
"What I do sometimes if I suspect shill bidding, is look at some of the persons other auctions. You would be surprised at what you might find. Even the same user names at times driving the price up. I just do not bid if I suspect a shill is up."

That may not work because I have at least 20 comeback customers who want to bid on my items. Well... just don't bid then. My key in bidding an item is what price I am willing to pay for it, NOT the cheapest price I hope I can get. That way shilling or not won't affect the outcome.
 
"What I do sometimes if I suspect shill bidding, is look at some of the persons other auctions. You would be surprised at what you might find. Even the same user names at times driving the price up. I just do not bid if I suspect a shill is up."

That may not work because I have at least 20 comeback customers who want to bid on my items. Well... just don't bid then. My key in bidding an item is what price I am willing to pay for it, NOT the cheapest price I hope I can get. That way shilling or not won't affect the outcome.
Agreed, many times what looks like shilling activity really isn't. I too have several return customers, What can make a legitimate situation even more suspicious is that some of my return customers will bid higher on my item since they trust my description and feel more comfortable than they might with a different seller.

The only time i get suspicious anymore is when the suspected shill has been the seller's high bidder in other auctions where the item mysteriously reappears for auction again a week later.

I think kbott put the best perspective on this "if you got what you wanted/expected at a price you were willing to pay", then by all means don't worry, be happy.

I would also take into consideration the fact that the seller has already left you positive feedback, this to me indicates an above average seller with nothing to hide.
 
Shill bidding is a cheap mans reserve. Not saying it's right or wrong, but i am saying who cares? If an item goes past what your willing to pay who cares who is bidding.
 
hmmmshai_hulud said:
Shill bidding is a cheap mans reserve. Not saying it's right or wrong, but i am saying who cares? If an item goes past what your willing to pay who cares who is bidding.
I care that's who.
Because if said seller wants a certain price then put a reserve on it don't shill your own auctions
My hole point in asking this question was SHOULD I contact Ebay with my concerns or would I just be pissing in the wind.
 
Because if said seller wants a certain price then put a reserve on it don't shill your own auctions
My hole point in asking this question was SHOULD I contact Ebay with my concerns or would I just be pissing in the wind.
I agree with your concern, and you were right to come here seeking advice.

In your case i doubt there was any shilling going on. Consider that many folks are using snipe programs or outside bidding services (thats me) that cause several bids to be placed in the last few seconds of the auction.

It has appeared to me in the past that even in cases of obvious shilling, if the seller is completing enough "good" transactions thus creating "good" income for ebay, then reporting the sellers questionable activity has about the same exact effect as pissing in the wind"

These days most of my bids are placed by a 3rd party service. I enter a bid that represents what i'm willing to pay based on the item description and seller's feedback. I either win, or i don't, and i seldom look any deeper into the auction because "getting what you want at a price you're willing to pay" is the single most important factor, and the whole reason for using ebay in the first place.

In general dishonest seller's practices affect me more as a seller by driving up the cost of listing fees and reserve fees, kind of similar to the effect of "employee theft"
 
Stanton681EEES said:
I care that's who.
Because if said seller wants a certain price then put a reserve on it don't shill your own auctions
My hole point in asking this question was SHOULD I contact Ebay with my concerns or would I just be pissing in the wind.

You've already purchased the item. It's been 2 weeks. I don't think Ebay will do anything. It's up to you if you want to contact them. If you do, I don't think Ebay will do anything, especially if the seller has a lot of feedback.
 
Back
Top Bottom