• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What to do with Dead Sony SCD 777ES

acass

Active Member
What do you do with a Sony SCD 777ES that has ceased to work, it reads "No Disc". It's too big for a door stop and I don't have a boat that needs an anchor. I love this machine and would like to fix it but who knows how?

I read the parts are unobtainium. Can parts from another player be used?

Anybody got ideas?

Thanks.

Alan.
 
Register to hide this ad
Grease the rods under the optical bloc with "White Lithium Grease Tube" after cleaning the rods and optical lens with ethyl alcohol.

The winning solution...
 
Last edited:
Sadly it won't read anything. I'm a bit wary of taking it apart but nothing ventured nothing gained, so I'll give it a shot.
 
Note: You can probably push forward and backward on the optical block to clean and grease properly.

Do it with your player disconnected from wall, beware for your eyes with the laser.
 
That unit has two lasers. One for SACD and one for red book. It’s unlikely that both failed simultaneously. Also the laser is stationary and the CDs are moved on a sled over them. The gears that drive the sled can develop high friction at their axles and the rails can also.
You can access the sled unit by removing the whole top of the player.
There are some more details on the lubrication process if you spend a while searching the net.
 
Do this player have a bottom cover you can open ?

Maybe you can do everything from top side if you remove the black plastic thing ?

But wait, go to the store for White Lithium Grease, you cannot use anything else just because it's marked Grease on it.

White lithium grease is 100% safe on plastics.
 
Last edited:
I've been looking at various thread describing what to do but this is the first real picture of the inside that I have seen. I was hoping for a video, no such luck, I think Sony must have vacuumed them all up so you have to send it to Sony for fixing.
 
We have a proverb, On est jamais si bien servi que par soi même, We are never so well served as by ourselves.
 
Here’s a closer one of the transport.
I recently had one that was dropped open.
The impact with the ground cracked a dozen connections with the front display.
B3BA1A87-F1B3-4451-9AF8-52C9F4B41F5F.jpeg
 
I can't believe this.

I took the player out of my system 4 or 5 months ago and moved it to a corner of the spare bedroom where it has sat untouched till today when I took the top Plate off just to have a look inside it to see how complex the job was. Then I put the top plate back on and snugged down the Allen screws finger tight and before I put it back in its corner and covered it with a dust cover I thought while I've got it plugged in why not try it again, So I went and got a CD put it in pressed the lid closed button and it went through its long process and instead of "no disc" it started to play. Not having it hooked up to any thing I don't know if music came out of it but I bet it would have if it had been hooked up to a system. I thought it was playing tricks on my so I went and got an SACD and low and behold it read that and went into the play mode.

What the hell do I do now? Get it up for sale while it still runs? Take it to bits and clean and lubricate the gears and rails? Drag it back to my music system and see if it plays in the real world?

It makes me wonder if I could get DSD out of it to feed into a stand alone DAC and change the RCA jacks to XLR. Whoa! Slow down your getting carried away, try it again tomorrow and see if it still works.

I think a delicate cleaning is the way to go and then a serious discussion with myself as to keeping it or selling it. When it packed up I got an Innuos Zen Mini 3 and a Denafrips Pontus II and put all my CD's on the Innuos, I put the SACD's onto my computer and am still trying to figure out how to get them onto the Innuos.

Well that's the story so far, we will see what tomorrow brings.

Alan. I should put a smilie face here somehow.
 
Well now you know that both lasers work.
That almost certainly points to the issue being mechanical. Since others have found lubrication is a solution and that the sled motor that drives the gear train can be damaged from overload your path forward seems obvious.
Lube it, or sell it. I suppose you could use it until it acts up again but that’s more risky.
 
I put it back in the system but it's playing up. On some SACD's it will show "No Disc" and then when I open and close the drawer it plays it and on one Hybrid it changed itself from SACD to CD and played it then another time with the same disc on SACD it showed "No Disk" and would not play. So I don't know what to think.
 
Optical bloc support rods are gummy

Laser lens is dusty

Very common problems.

And if you don't grease the optical bloc support rods, but only clean them, you will have a bad surprise :(
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom