• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What to do with my AR11s?

StrychnineCB

New Member
So i have a pair of AR11s I bought cheap-ish and in a hurry.

They're a nightmare, some lunatic glued in a pair of JL car audio subs, which means I can't get at the non functioning crossover.

With the help of an angle grinder and a claw hammer, I got the offending woofers out today.

Now I have a pair of AR11s with no woofers, and modified, possibly comprimised baffles.

Do I try to find another suitable replacement woofer to fit into the original cabinet?

Or do I simply take whatever bass driver i can find, build a new box with the appropriate volume/porting for that woofer and put the AR11 mids tweets and crossover in that?

Or does someone have a better plan?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reuben
 
Register to hide this ad
So i have a pair of AR11s I bought cheap-ish and in a hurry.

They're a nightmare, some lunatic glued in a pair of JL car audio subs, which means I can't get at the non functioning crossover.

With the help of an angle grinder and a claw hammer, I got the offending woofers out today.

Now I have a pair of AR11s with no woofers, and modified, possibly comprimised baffles.

Do I try to find another suitable replacement woofer to fit into the original cabinet?

Or do I simply take whatever bass driver i can find, build a new box with the appropriate volume/porting for that woofer and put the AR11 mids tweets and crossover in that?

Or does someone have a better plan?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reuben

I can say without a doubt that you should try to find the original type woofer. They do pop up, it is very possible the later AR3a woofer is the same or similar. The baffle board can be patched or replaced if you have carpentry skills or know a good cabinet guy. I have two pair of 11's, they are gems in the audio world.
 
Yeah, the original mids and tweets work perfectly.

I just had to get the JLs out because one of the crossovers wasn't sending treble. Turns out a cap had exploded.
 
original woofers are available on ebay often. expect to pay about $100 each. The 11 is perhaps the best 3 way AR ever made. Worth fixing. Pm me if you are uninterested in fixing them yourself.
 
I see the woofers and other drivers pop up now and again..not too long ago on local cl, definitly save them..great speakers.
 
The AR11's are definitely keepers. Keep a lookout for drivers on the bay and Barter Town. You might want to try a WTB thread to see if can find any. I have had good luck in the past finding parts through that route.
 
Is the area where the woofers mounted messed up? Is the cabinet otherwise in good condition?

As other have said, They are well worth restoring. I run a pair of AR-10pi's so I am biased.
 
Aside from cosmetics, the main issue will be to make sure the replacement woofers fit with an air tight seal.
 
FIX them properly with the correct woofers. Worth it.

There's a pair currently listed for 650.00

There's also 3a woofers listed. I'm not sure they are the same as the 11's though.

Roy C. will know.

Glenn
 
Back
Top Bottom