• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What to do with this console?

JohnMac

Addicted Member
About a year ago my neighbor asked if I would get this out of her house. I resisted, but then yesterday an audio buddy was over so we carried it home.

The only ID I can find is that it says Ambassador on the control panel. I was told it was made in Canada and purchased in '63. The only reference that I found to Ambassador was a Fisher model but I doubt if this is Fisher. It has a Gerrard changer in it.

There is a pair of RCA 12AT7s and a pair of 6GW8s. I don't know much about tube types. What should I do with this thing?

John
 

Attachments

  • console 001.jpg
    console 001.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 68
  • console 002.jpg
    console 002.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 117
  • console 003.jpg
    console 003.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 120
Register to hide this ad
Ambassador could be the cabinet model and sounds like it could have been made by Kindel. I dismantled an 'Imperator' cabinet by Kindel, sold by RCA/Victor to salvage the amp, a couple of weeks ago.

az
 
LOL, that's funny. I thought the avatar pic looked familiar.

By the way your console reminds me of a Clairtone which I think were Canadian made. What brand tubes in it? Might be a clue.
 
The tubes are RCA and GE. I pulled it out, cleaned the controls and tube sockets, brought it up with a variac and it works. Sounds like crap though. I'll probably pull the tubes and trannys and figure out what to do with the cabinet. More trouble than it's worth but still an experience for me.
 
That's definitely a Clairtone. I just pulled the tubes from a very similar Clairtone receiver the other day. I was going to offer the receiver here on AK, but the faceplate was a bit corroded, and then I accidentally removed some of the print on the dial. It's kind of a shame because I think those face-plates are kind of neat they way they're built. ....... very small output transformers, Though.
 
I broke down the cabinet but kept the arched panels. The latice is made of real wood strips. I liked the cabinet too. Very simple with no knobs or handles.
 
Back
Top Bottom