• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What to look for when buying speakers?

How many people have actually compared the sound of speakers to the sound of amps/receivers? Until a few weeks ago, I'd never had the opportunity to do this, and found there to be considerable differences among the sound of several receivers. Enough of a difference that you'd think you were listening to different speakers.

For the longest time I'd only had a H/K receiver for my theatre and a Yamaha for my pc set-up. Both of these amps have a similar enough sound, with the H/K being my favorite of the two (Yamaha is a bit "warmer"). I then bought a Sony ES reciever, hooked them up and heard a very different sound. Much, much warmer sound from the Sony vs H/K or Yamaha. The last receiver I bought was an old Pioneer, and this unit provides a "live" sound (for lack of better terms).

Hearing the same source with my speakers in the same position gave me 3 very different sounds from the 4 receivers. You can mix & match tones from speakers and amps endlessly (I'd imagine) to try and find a mix you like. But now I've realized that when auditioning speakers, there's more to it than "speakers", as changing the amplifier can really bring a different sound out of them.

THC
 
I've realized that when auditioning speakers, there's more to it than "speakers", as changing the amplifier can really bring a different sound out of them.

I agree 100% however.... I would offer this twist.

Take a 3" speaker out of a 1970's transister radio and connect it to a $50 or then a $500,000 set of electronics ahead of it.... you might hear a difference but not much. It's still a 3" speaker.

Now, take the same transister radio and hook it up to a pair of HPM 100's and then hook it up to a pair of Khorns.

I'd suggest that you will hear a larger difference in the 2nd situation than you will in the first. Adding in expensive electronics to the 2nd situation only makes it that much better however, you must first have a solid foundation in the speakers.

Put differently.... I think someone will find a larger change in their sound by changing speakers than they will changing electronics. To me, changing the electronics is more akin to adding salt & pepper. It can make a difference but it's not like moving from a hamburger to a NY strip which a change in speakers can be.
 
Back
Top Bottom