• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What to use to remove old glue holding down electrolitic caps on circuit boards

lopezluna

Active Member
Hi Ak members. I am about to beging a restoration on my realistic sta-2100 receiver and I am wondering if anyone knows what the best thing to use to remove the old glue holding down the electrolitic capacitors to the boards. I have heard ot is a pain to remove the old glue. Thanks in advance for any info, lopezluna
 
Register to hide this ad
i use acetone on a qtip to soften it then scrape with my finger nail. i have yet to damage silkscreening although i have heard of others that have. i wet it down pretty good myself so it could come down to manufacturers methods of screening/ink used and maybe i just haven't come across weak ink yet.
 
i use acetone on a qtip to soften it then scrape with my finger nail. i have yet to damage silkscreening although i have heard of others that have. i wet it down pretty good myself so it could come down to manufacturers methods of screening/ink used and maybe i just haven't come across weak ink yet.
Thank you, I will try that method. Thanks again
 
rubbing alcohol never even touches the glue i have come across but definately try milder solvents first.

99% alcohol doesn't even touch it.
 
Acetone it is. Isopropyl alcohol didnt do a thig. Started to slowly remove it with some acetone and no damage to the print on the board. Thanks everyone for your advice
 
Acetone it is. Isopropyl alcohol didnt do a thig. Started to slowly remove it with some acetone and no damage to the print on the board. Thanks everyone for your advice
Small dental scalers/picks work pretty well for me. The down side is some very minor cosmetic damage to the printing on the board. For me, it is still preferable to chemical methods.
 
First, heat gun which softens it ALOT ...lets you get the cap out safely. Then while its soft , PLASTIC scraper. you may have to reheat a few times but if alcohol doesnt cut it, its safer than acetone, But yes, I have used acetone too :-)
 
Small dental scalers/picks work pretty well for me. The down side is some very minor cosmetic damage to the printing on the board. For me, it is still preferable to chemical methods.
I ended up using exacto knife on bottom of bigger caps to break the seal then once the caps were removed I used a small flat blade screwdriver to pry old glue off. I ended up not using any chemicals. Thanks, Lopezluna
 
Back
Top Bottom