• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What would this Fisher Console be worth?

hammr7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Saw this ad locally (no affiliation, etc.):

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/1077107170.html

It is obviously overpriced, but the question is how much would the unit be worth in its current state?

The unit is actually a 1965 unit in French Provincial finish. It has the hybrid tube/transistor amp (A-59) as well as an all-tube tuner (T-59). The turntable is a Dual 1009, in need of a stylus. The amp needs 4 power transistors. The entire unit probably needs recapping and refurbishment.

The seller claims the unit cost $2500 in 1965 (the price of a Presidential) and that his mother was offered $5,000 in the 1990's. My feeling is that in its current shape it is worth closer to $100 - $200.

Is there any logical reason why this unit would command any premium?
 
Register to hide this ad
Having Bought an all tube 61' unit 3 weeks ago for $450 and a 66' SS that looked exactly the same for free last november.... Id say what ever the SA can get for it.
Unless you can see that the power amp is usable as a standalone (maybe $100) or unless you have an affliction for this particular Console (maybe $150).
Other than that, this guy will soon learn its value. Dual 1009 parts are hard to find.
He's deluded.
 
Last edited:
Plus, the turntable needs a "stylist." That alone will set you back, like, a couple hundred bucks a week.
 
Careful, he has a temper!

I tried to point out the likely true value, referencing Ebay and other sources. I even tried to encourage him to keep and refurbish it if it had sentimental value to him and his family.

I think he's been living the dream of a windfall. I can't post his response without upsetting the admins of this site.
 
A turntable/changer stylist gotta be one of those very rare specialties and I could see them requiring a contract for a couple of hundred a week.

I wonder if they massage the mat and stroke the stylus? Lube the shafts? Push the right buttons?
 
Actualy, I'd never make it in the business. I actually took a Laughter course in undergrad school, the only basket weaving course I ever took but I needed a LA course to graduate and it was the only thing open. It was touaght by a writer for the Jack Benny television show and Candid Camera. His only comment as to my humor was that I could teach the Brits what British humor is. Funny, my wife also says I have British humor. I always thought I was just a serious guy with a warped streak of odd thoughts from time to time.
 
Back
Top Bottom