• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What would you guys rather have?

vintagelubbr

Certified Clown
What would you guys rather have?

A perfectly working Rabco SL8E linear toneram or an Infintiy Black Widow tonearm?

I ask because a buddy has both and is willing to give me one (no turntable included) in exchange for work on his motorcycle. Which would you guys pick?
 
Register to hide this ad
My preference would be for the SL8E...but ONLY if it is "perfectly working". They can be a PITA otherwise.
 
My preference would be for the SL8E...but ONLY if it is "perfectly working". They can be a PITA otherwise.

That might be sufficient reason to go with the Infinity. The SL8E might become problematic down the road even if it's not now. :dunno:

Plus, the Black Widow is so cool looking!

John
 
I'd think about what cart you would be using with it. The Infinity will need a high compliance cart.

I don't know the Rabco, but if it is working correctly why would it cause problems later? Maybe your buddy would let you try each before you decide?
 
Take the Black Widow. I have a Rabco with tracking issues, and it seems the rubber tracking roller is unobtanium.
 
Infinity, the SL-8e won't be perfectly working for long.
Hmmm...don't think I could agree with that, if the arm is working as it should, then I have not found them to be unusually problematic. Yes... people (some that I know) have had their share of problems, but these problems were generally inherited with the purchase of abused/neglected or poorly modded arms... These are excellent arms that relieve the owner of many of the associated draw-backs of conventional arms. I regret selling my last one, but I didn't at the time have a t/t to put it on, a friend had more of a need for it and still enjoys it.
 
I've owned both versions of the Black Widow and liked them. My present TTs are mostly linear trackers, I must have at least 8 of those around here along with a few regular TTs.
If you are fixing a motorcycle then I assume you are mechanically 'handy' and competent. Therefore the RABCO would have greater interest and if you 'do' electrical you should have no problems.
Frontload yourself on it here; http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttrabco.html
 
Last edited:
FWIW, the RABCO SL-8 was the first marketed servo-correcting linear tracking arm and the result of a well-respected seminal study on the distortions and other problems of pivoted arms by J. Rabinow and E. Codier.
 
Last edited:
Which cartridge would be a good "affordable" candidate for the Infinity Black Widow tone arm?

How about the AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-150MLX ?

Is it still in production ? :scratch2:
 
DL-160 is out of production, the next logical step would be the O'fon MC-3 HOMC which I use in a Souther SLA-3 low-mass LT arm.
 
Which cartridge would be a good "affordable" candidate for the Infinity Black Widow tone arm?

How about the AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-150MLX ?

Is it still in production ? :scratch2:


:yes: Sounds great together even though the 150 is at the weight limit of the BW.



attachment.php



attachment.php



Steve
 
Given the choice, I'd probably try the linear tracking tonearm. I used a Beogram TX-2 for years (linear tracker) and its performance was superb, hands down the best tracker I ever owned.

That Black Widow looks nice too..... tough choice!
 
Back
Top Bottom