• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's a Fair Offer for ADS 1590/2

62sunbeam

Raconteur
What's a fair offer for a pair of ADS 1590/2s in 7-8 out of 10 (sellers description) with manuals, tweeter and mid covers and bags finished in blonde rosewood. Claimed to be 100% functional.

Do you think they will outperform my DQ-20s?

Thanks

Eric
 
Register to hide this ad
They are the "L" variant. Is this good or bad?

And actually I do believe they are done in Teak veneer.

$400? I would have figured higher as the 1290s sell for double that.

Thanks

Eric
 
Maybe in teak, but, I think L1290's are more likely going for 300-400 depending on condition in my area. I would expect 1590's to be more, they also come along much less frequently than the 1290's.
 
I agree...that sounds like a great deal even if they need new foam. If one of the tweets are blown it's another C note to replace one at the most. I can't comment on the comparison to your speakers but the 1590's I have heard were very good with clear highs, well defined mids & tight bass.
 
Around 400. As for blowing the dahlquist away, hell yes they will. I just got rid of one set in favor of ADS L1290. ADS are more efficient, smoother, and warmer. The bass is tighter too.
 
L1590 or 1590/2 are going for several hundred $$ these days more often than not. $400 is a decent price on the 1290 or 1290/2 esp. if it has wood veneer vs. the black utility cabs (though I like those myself).

Saw the now deleted CL post in Google... did those really go for $200 as listed? Holy schmoly if so!

John
 
L1590 or 1590/2 are going for several hundred $$ these days more often than not. $400 is a decent price on the 1290 or 1290/2 esp. if it has wood veneer vs. the black utility cabs (though I like those myself).

Saw the now deleted CL post in Google... did those really go for $200 as listed? Holy schmoly if so!

John

These were they.

Carver Amazings for 100 the day before.
 
Last edited:
Around 400. As for blowing the dahlquist away, hell yes they will. I just got rid of one set in favor of ADS L1290. ADS are more efficient, smoother, and warmer. The bass is tighter too.

Quite frankly I find them not as smooth or as warm as my DQ-20s and not as open sounding. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice but they don't have the broad sound stage or the imaging of the Dahlquists which are more lush as well. The 1590s are more monitor like in their sound. If that makes any sense.

Interesting thing is I don't listen to music very loudly and that may be part of it. I think the forte of the 1590s lie in the dynamics they produce at higher listening levels.

I'm tempted to put them out on my patio next weekend and crank them up. I think I will be suitably impressed:D

Thanks

Eric
 
DQ-20 sold on eBay $299 with local pickup.

ADS 1590 recently sold on eBay $1,250 + a couple of hundred dollars for shipping. They are one of the best speakers ever, very rare, especially in real wood cabinet.

I have 1290/2 (walnut) and I never sell them for $400.

I had DQ-10. DQ-10 has so low WAF that it's beyond believe. One of the lowest WAF ever. DQ-20 maybe a bit better.

Contrary, ADS 1290 / 1590 have great WAF, one of the best in classic speakers.
 
Quite frankly I find them not as smooth or as warm as my DQ-20s and not as open sounding. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice but they don't have the broad sound stage or the imaging of the Dahlquists which are more lush as well. The 1590s are more monitor like in their sound. If that makes any sense.

Interesting thing is I don't listen to music very loudly and that may be part of it. I think the forte of the 1590s lie in the dynamics they produce at higher listening levels.

I'm tempted to put them out on my patio next weekend and crank them up. I think I will be suitably impressed:D

Thanks

Eric[/QUOT

Different equipment and different taste. DQ 20 didn't sound right where i wanted to be which turned me off.
 
Quite frankly I find them not as smooth or as warm as my DQ-20s and not as open sounding. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice but they don't have the broad sound stage or the imaging of the Dahlquists which are more lush as well. The 1590s are more monitor like in their sound. If that makes any sense.

Interesting thing is I don't listen to music very loudly and that may be part of it. I think the forte of the 1590s lie in the dynamics they produce at higher listening levels.

I'm tempted to put them out on my patio next weekend and crank them up. I think I will be suitably impressed:D

Thanks

Eric

Eric, you and I are so close in our taste and assessments of various gear it`s uncanny. I have DQ-10s, DQM-9s, L-1090/2s, and I think you`re spot-on with your descriptions of the speakers discussed here. No way ADS are warmer than Dahlquists given if they`re pushed by similar amps IMO, and I don`t tend to think of any in the DQ line as warm to begin with, that would be more like a AR3a or early KLH. I listen to my DQM-9s and 1090s nearly every day, often blended together, sometimes just one set, and both pushed by similar Carver amps, which are a fantastic match for either line. I tend not to listen to music very loud either, just a moderate level.

Now, the DQ-10 rules in the imaging dept, but a bit bass-shy. As for WAF, mine is only concerned if a youngun can damage or tip a speaker over (which has happened w/1090- oops). The DQM-9 beats the 1090 in bass ever so slightly, though the latter presents the mids and highs a bit more prevalent. Both are about equal in efficiency, but a 1590 will suck more juice than either, but definitely less than a DQ-10. I have heard the 1590 lacks some of the subtleties of the 1290 or 1090, but gives the AR-9 a run for the money in overall presentation. I would like to hear that comparison! Glad you got them Eric and sounds like a great deal to boot. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom