• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's a Mag Amp Transformer Good For - or, Wasting Time and Thought on a Boat Anchor

unga-unga

Active Member
This might be completely un-interesting, but in a lot of old WWII era transformers, I got this hunky UTC transformer that I wasn't sure was useful, and it's been sitting..

About 12 pounds (very dense, amongst potted transformers), here is a photo of it, beer for scale:

IMG_20250121_155715_778.jpg

And a clearer photo of the very necessary labeling (I would never have figured it out otherwise):

IMG_20250121_155701_704.jpg

I've read these are constructed differently, intending for saturation, I don't know the voltage and current tolerances, and generally it seems like a silly thing to try to use but... I was still curious to ask if anyone else has tinkered with one for any reason.

I just like wasting my time with junk, okay?? We could tie together the AC coils and have a... pretty decent choke, I guess.

What could I do with this that would be INTERESTING though? I don't think I'm gonna build a radar, or a missle guidance system lol... Are there any real applications for magnetic amplifier circuits in audio? Or do I have something with high current tolerance, that I could abuse as a choke in parafeed or something? I really don't know, but it sure is heavy. Finding schematics for circuits where a transformer like this is used has been difficult. Must be classified...

Nah it's just because nobody is interested in it... No gooble results. And I don't really know what I'm looking for, a magnetic amplifier would usually be a component of a larger circuit, right? And what kind of circuit this came from, I just don't know.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
After doing some more reading, it eventually sunk-into my dense brain that what makes this object interesting, also makes it useless in the typical applications of coils in audio circuits - blocking AC.

But I did enjoy my learning experience... This was probably the best & most comprehensive article I read, from 1960 Popular Electronics:


I really don't know what the original application of this unit was, but the context of the other transformers I bought in the lot make me think it was something involved with radio transmission. I might see if anyone teaching high-school physics in my area wants it, or I'll try to give it away at the next ham-fest I go to... I don't know the tolerances etc, but if you wanted to demonstrate mag amps with low-ish voltage and current, I'm sure it would work.

But I pretty quickly convinced myself that there isn't a direct application in audio, outside of mains voltage regulation (which I'm... I don't think that's what this unit was for, at all... Probably high frequency something or other ...)

I probably didn't need to make a whole thread for this, but... Maybe I should post to a ham radio, or even a physics or EE forum, maybe someone somewhere really wants a unit like this. It almost definitely was for a radio device, and I would imagine that such things are ridiculously scarce. Probably dates to the 50's or so, early post war.
 
Last edited:
I don't know much about them but have seen them used in SMPS. Also, I remembered that use as an audio amp was possible (though not necessarily practical or desireable). A quick search yielded this circuit,
audio mag amp.png
 
Back
Top Bottom