• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's so special about the MR-78 tuner?

I think the person who sold these Mc's was a complete idiot or someone selling off their ex's stuff for revenge. I have heard stories of women scorned selling their ex husbands jaguars for 10 dollars to the nice boy down the street but man.......
That is the find of a lifetime. I don't think you will ever get as lucky again.
 
McGlentosh said:
Thank you, Samuel, for the excellent and thorough information. You've given me food for thought (three main courses) that I will carefully chew on before deciding. The Audio Classics option sounds intriguing, with the added Modiferri bonus. Where does Terry Dewick live? Mileage may be a deciding factor.

I also have a C32 that needs some repair, one of which involves, coincidently, the power push-button. So, Audio Classics just may be the front runner at this point.

Glen
First, a gentle correction: Samuel P. Huntington is the author of the quote I use as my "signature." I am "Vinyl Rules!" because of my love for LPs (22,000+ and still growing, and FM tuners).

Secondly, Terry is located in Knoxville, TN. Please scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on his icon to read more about him and his services. :cool:
 
Usually in, or availible in the shop 10am to 10pm 7 days a week, nice to have my shop at home.
 
arm013 said:
I think the person who sold these Mc's was a complete idiot or someone selling off their ex's stuff for revenge. I have heard stories of women scorned selling their ex husbands jaguars for 10 dollars to the nice boy down the street but man.......
That is the find of a lifetime. I don't think you will ever get as lucky again.
Here is the story:
I guess the lady's husband died of a heart attack three years ago and she was clearing out some of his old stuff. I knew the equipment was nice because I'd had a MAC 4100 receiver that I had to sell. I just hooked up the pre-amp/ amplifier and it sounds terrific! There is static in one button, but that's it. I check the completed items on ebay and found that the tuner sells for $900.00- $1600.00 by itself!!!! This stuff is flat out flawless! I must be in heaven man! I've got to run. It's time for another Mirror Pond Pale Ale. It's drink night at my house tonight.



Carl
 
Oops! Sorry, Vinyl Rules! No offense intended. My bad.

BTW, I grew up listening to vinyl records (reel-to-reel tape was the only other medium in the 60's, which was good for archiving, but little else) and still have quite a collection, or so I thought! At maybe 1000 or so, it is dwarfed by yours. I snapped up the MX135 when I heard it had a phono section, trading in my MX134, which didn't. I hooked up my Luxman PD-121 and savor the sweet sound of vinyl, crackles and pops and all!

Glen
 
McGlentosh said:
Oops! Sorry, Vinyl Rules! No offense intended. My bad.

BTW, I grew up listening to vinyl records (reel-to-reel tape was the only other medium in the 60's, which was good for archiving, but little else) and still have quite a collection, or so I thought! At maybe 1000 or so, it is dwarfed by yours. I snapped up the MX135 when I heard it had a phono section, trading in my MX134, which didn't. I hooked up my Luxman PD-121 and savor the sweet sound of vinyl, crackles and pops and all!

Glen
Glen,

Invest in a good record cleaner that uses record cleaning liquid and has a vacuum, like a Nitty Gritty or VPI and you can get rid of many of the crackles and pops if they're from trash not embedded in the vinyl grooves. You have to scrub the LP with the brush that comes with your cleaner and not get the label wet. After cleaning, keep the record in a rice paper or equivalent sleeve and use a static gun. Yeah, it's more trouble than playing a CD but there's a lot of material on LP that will never make it to CD.

A Shibata shaped stylus helps, too, as it gets you deeper into the groove and below some of the scratches on your records. But the records have to be cleaned first.

About 99% of what I buy is used, but I only buy stuff that looks good with no bad scratches, and dust and mold clean off easily, and I end up with very quiet surfaces. If you like vinyl and want to grow your collection, start buying and clean and listen to the LPs when you get home and you'll soon learn what to look for when you examine a used record, and what will clean up and what will not. For some, it becomes an addiction. :)

Mandatory tuner input: One of the stations I listen to on my tuner actually plays vinyl on occasion and will sometimes announce they're playing an LP. :cool:
 
There's a channel on Sirius satellite radio called "Classic Vinyl." They play mostly 60's and 70's rock, ostensibly on vinyl. I believe I've heard some ticks and pops, so it must be true!

A far as record cleaners, I use Discwasher liquid and felt brush and zap the static charge buildup with a Zerostat "pistol." I have washed really dirty ones with soap and water, too. I never got a Nitty Gritty vacuum machine, but I understand they work well.
 
McGlentosh said:
There's a channel on Sirius satellite radio called "Classic Vinyl." They play mostly 60's and 70's rock, ostensibly on vinyl. I believe I've heard some ticks and pops, so it must be true!

A far as record cleaners, I use Discwasher liquid and felt brush and zap the static charge buildup with a Zerostat "pistol." I have washed really dirty ones with soap and water, too. I never got a Nitty Gritty vacuum machine, but I understand they work well.
Glen,

Please don't be insulted, but there is a world of difference in how records end up sounding when you compare a vacuum-cleaned record with a non-vacuum cleaned record.

The only good record cleaning system that doen't use a vacuum is the Disc Doctor system (http://discdoc.com/) and (http://www.tracertek.com/discdoctor.htm), but we still think vaccum cleaning gets all the trash out of the grooves. YMMV, of course.

I used to use a Discwasher and found that over time, it made my records worse by pushng crud deeper into the grooves. :cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom