• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's So Special About This Marantz 2330B?

Register to hide this ad
I used to own one of these. It was one of their models that was closer to the top of the line. It produced 130 watts into 8 ohms or 180 watts into 4 ohms, so by some definitions it could be considered one of the "monster receivers" that were so popular then. It was a competitor to the Pioneer SX-1080 and the Sansui G-8000. Many AK'ers think it sounds different from the "house sound" most of the earlier Marantz receivers, not nearly as warm and I tend to agree. Some would say the sound is somewhat 'sterile', but I would say that 'neutral' is probably a better descriptor.
 
I used to own one of these. It was one of their models that was closer to the top of the line. It produced 130 watts into 8 ohms or 180 watts into 4 ohms, so by some definitions it could be considered one of the "monster receivers" that were so popular then. It was a competitor to the Pioneer SX-1080 and the Sansui G-8000.

This pretty much sums it up. Also, I notice when things are from the original owner, stuff seems to sell for a bit more in some cases.
 
A behemoth of the 70s (mid to late 70s), Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, also had big power receivers.

Over 800.00$ for this receiver, too much me think, but lots of folks are ready to pay this much, and sometime well over 1K .
The big power caps are not made anymore, this could be a problem in the future.
 
Oops, I'm sorry, I wrongly thought 30 in the model name meant it had 30 watts.

The 2230 and 2230B are rated at 30 watts. The 22##-series receivers usually derive their names by adding 2200 to the watts-per-channel (into 8 ohms) that they deliver. This can be confusing when the power exceeds 100 watts, or with models like the 2600 that deliver 400 watts into 4 ohms.

And I agree with moinau, some of the lower powered models sound better than many of the higher powered ones. The 2230, 2240 and the 2270 come to mind.
 
To me me no receiver is worth that kind of money but people pay big for the Marantz name deservedly so or not.I had one of these in wood.
 
Big Marantz, and some not so big are selling for big $$$ now.
I saw 2 2270s with claimed " restore" on eBay for $1700.

They don't make them anymore.
They sound great.
New stuff is sketchy, even big $$$ fancy stuff.
They are pretty.

$800 is not out of line for get-it-now type availability.
Too many "scores" here have made us think stuff is cheap.
 
Marantz 2330B is next to TOTL 2385 and quite rare.
If in good condition, it routinely sold above $1,000 on eBay.

Heck, small and common, BOTL 2230B sometimes sold for $500 on eBay.
In this respect, 2330B looks kind of undervalued.
 
People seem to want the big receivers rather than the arguably better separate amps and pre-amps. I asked a local dealer about this, and his opinion was that it was all about the lights, the dials, and the meters.

I had a 2330, liked it, but ended up selling it about 6 or 8 years ago for $450 US. Mine was in maybe slightly better condition than the one on eBay mentioned in this thread. I guess I shoulda held on to it.
 
People seem to want the big receivers rather than the arguably better separate amps and pre-amps. I asked a local dealer about this, and his opinion was that it was all about the lights, the dials, and the meters.

I had a 2330, liked it, but ended up selling it about 6 or 8 years ago for $450 US. Mine was in maybe slightly better condition than the one on eBay mentioned in this thread. I guess I shoulda held on to it.

I agree that people want the big receivers and pay big money for them in the beginning.If you get into audio deeper then you realize that separates are the way to go.It took me a bit to realize that fact but better late than never.One thing about these monsters is you will almost always get your money back should you decide to sell,especially Marantz.The only one I lost money on was a Kenwood.
 
I too, am starting to finally come around on this, superdog. Older thread, I know, but I was reading up on the Marantz and saw your comment. I've been running a 9090db for awhile, and switched it out with a lower power Onkyo Model A-10, integrated. That was the only component switched out, and it sounded noticably cleaner. And the Sansui DOES sound good, but the A-10 bested it. Recently aquire a really nice pair of PSB Gold Stratus, that I'm going to run through a Bose 1801 amp. Still tryino to figure out what I'm gonna use for a pre. When I bought the amp, it came with a Realistic 2100D that he was using for a pre. Might start out with that.
 
I too, am starting to finally come around on this, superdog. Older thread, I know, but I was reading up on the Marantz and saw your comment. I've been running a 9090db for awhile, and switched it out with a lower power Onkyo Model A-10, integrated. That was the only component switched out, and it sounded noticably cleaner. And the Sansui DOES sound good, but the A-10 bested it. Recently aquire a really nice pair of PSB Gold Stratus, that I'm going to run through a Bose 1801 amp. Still tryino to figure out what I'm gonna use for a pre. When I bought the amp, it came with a Realistic 2100D that he was using for a pre. Might start out with that.

I have a couple of 1801s that I’m driving with a 4401. I did try a McIntosh C24 with one of them and it sounded very good! I also used my c26 with the two 1801s when I thought I had a problem with the preamp and pulled it out. Turns out I have a stepson who poked around with the wiring and partially pulled out a connection. The PSB should sound excellent through the 1801!
 
I too, am starting to finally come around on this, superdog. Older thread, I know, but I was reading up on the Marantz and saw your comment. I've been running a 9090db for awhile, and switched it out with a lower power Onkyo Model A-10, integrated. That was the only component switched out, and it sounded noticably cleaner. And the Sansui DOES sound good, but the A-10 bested it. Recently aquire a really nice pair of PSB Gold Stratus, that I'm going to run through a Bose 1801 amp. Still tryino to figure out what I'm gonna use for a pre. When I bought the amp, it came with a Realistic 2100D that he was using for a pre. Might start out with that.

As others said that combo of the 1801 with the psb gold speakers should be wonderful. I had psb silvers a while back which sounded great other than the lowest octave. I bet the gold get it all down perfectly.

Yeah use the receiver as a pre for now. Then try other options and find out what you like best.

Should be a great system when done.
 
I too, am starting to finally come around on this, superdog. Older thread, I know, but I was reading up on the Marantz and saw your comment. I've been running a 9090db for awhile, and switched it out with a lower power Onkyo Model A-10, integrated. That was the only component switched out, and it sounded noticably cleaner. And the Sansui DOES sound good, but the A-10 bested it. Recently aquire a really nice pair of PSB Gold Stratus, that I'm going to run through a Bose 1801 amp. Still tryino to figure out what I'm gonna use for a pre. When I bought the amp, it came with a Realistic 2100D that he was using for a pre. Might start out with that.
I too, am starting to finally come around on this, superdog. Older thread, I know, but I was reading up on the Marantz and saw your comment. I've been running a 9090db for awhile, and switched it out with a lower power Onkyo Model A-10, integrated. That was the only component switched out, and it sounded noticably cleaner. And the Sansui DOES sound good, but the A-10 bested it. Recently aquire a really nice pair of PSB Gold Stratus, that I'm going to run through a Bose 1801 amp. Still tryino to figure out what I'm gonna use for a pre. When I bought the amp, it came with a Realistic 2100D that he was using for a pre. Might start out with that.
,In the five years since I wrote that post I have said its their money,their stereo and their ears.Everybody has their own agenda.I don't give two hoots anymore what people buy or the amount they spend.I will say that the 2330b I had was a beautiful receiver but it didn't stand out against other similar units so it was sold.
 
I purchased a marantz 2330b back in 2012 or 11. Price was 450 then. I also bought a marantz 2325 with the wood case for 450 in 2012. So yeah, prices for these Marantz units are steadily going up.
 
Older thread but still relevant I guess. I bought a perfect one-owner 2330b for around $450 back in 2006, didn’t like it very much so I sold it for a bit more about a month later. It did have an excellent FM tuner section, but to me the amp sounded kind of lifeless and flat like a PA amp plus it was really huge and had too many useless controls and signal path switches. Of all the Marantz receivers I’ve had my favorite is still the 2245, more buttons and more power doesn’t necessarily equate to better sound IMO.

What I consider my best system (down in the basement) is all separates, but a receiver fits best in the upstairs space where the Marantz was. It was replaced with a “smaller” Pioneer SX-950 that fits on the shelf and sounds awesome, and that’s how it’s been ever since. By the time you get to something as big as the 2330b you could probably fit separates in its place and get better performance in the same amount of space.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom