• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

what's the best mcreceiver?

... And in 30 years of knob-turning I have never found an FM tuning mechanism that rivals the Marantz thumb-wheel.
I'm awfully partial to the heavy flywheel assisted Mc tuning mechanism, although restringing a busted dial cord is a cast iron nightmare on most of 'em.

FWIW I do not recall a vintage Marantz unit that had horizontal-slider tone controls. I remember them having matching thick knobs for all functions across the face-plate, with a single slider for balance control...
It was that sliding balance control I was cueing in on visually speaking. And I always thought that the "swoopy" thingie between the "MAC" and the "1900" was sort of visually equivalent to the Marantz script. Odd little associations the brain makes, huh?

I'm starting to get frustrated, though, with the intermittent panel LEDs on my 4100. Pulling it all apart and cleaning/straightening all the connnector pins on the harness to the LED board doesn't seem to help all that much. The darn thing SOUNDS so good; I'd just all the pretty lights to work! :-)
 
Certainly the Mac1500 has to compete for the top of anyone's list of Mac receivers, no? Which brings me to a short story. About 30 minutes ago a group of colleagues were meeting with me in my office, and as the meeting broke up one of them noticed my Mac1500. He told me that he had the same unit, and that he had found it, intact, in someone's trash at streetside, pulled it and spent about $100 to get it up to snuff, and now it looks and sounds great. Do some guys have all the luck or what?!
 
Hi,

I own both a MAC 1900 and a MAC 4100 myself. The MAC 4100 I still have is brand new in box and is my spare. Both are superb units and a joy to hear. Superb AM and FM tuner sections in both. Plenty of power and that nice McIntosh sound.
 
I second this thought

For looks you can't do better than the Mac 1700, afaic. no mistaking it for a Marantz--classic Mc styling all around. Sounds pretty damn good, too.
My MAC 1700 is a solid performer, quality build, great vintage looks and warm full sound. You definitely won't mistake it for a Marantz...or anything else!
 
Certainly the Mac1500 has to compete for the top of anyone's list of Mac receivers, no? Which brings me to a short story. About 30 minutes ago a group of colleagues were meeting with me in my office, and as the meeting broke up one of them noticed my Mac1500. He told me that he had the same unit, and that he had found it, intact, in someone's trash at streetside, pulled it and spent about $100 to get it up to snuff, and now it looks and sounds great. Do some guys have all the luck or what?!

The pity here is that some fool trashed it!

Like antique cars, I am thrilled it did not become landfill!
 
Back
Top Bottom