• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's the best way to needle drop "for science"?

hugz

Well-Known Member
I'm a big "audiophile doubter" and I'd love to do some recordings for the purpose of testing various popular modifications.

For example, do a recording, stick on a big fat record weight (or change platter mats) and record again.

What's the right way to do this? Connect the turntable RCAs directly to a soundcard and apply RIAA equalisation there? Or connect the soundcard to the preamp-out? That adds colourisation, but gives line level...

Any "affordable" soundcard recommendations? preferably USB
 
Register to hide this ad
Just make sure whatever you use is consistent except for the variable you want to change. So if you want to test the impact that a mat has on sound, use the same turntable, cartridge/stylus, etc.. Do them one after another, so one doesn't have the disadvantage of a worn stylus. Use the same record.

There's many methods of needledropping using a computer. My preference is to use an ART Phono USB Plus. It's a decent phono preamp; uncolored if that makes a difference. Then from my computer, I use a Schiit DAC + headphone amp. It provides a very clean and uncolored sound.
 
While I search for an appropriate USB interface- are those cheap Behringer UFO202 no good?
 
While I search for an appropriate USB interface- are those cheap Behringer UFO202 no good?

I've used a similar model (UCA202) that didn't include a phono preamp, but did optical output. I've only needle dropped it once or twice. I bought it to use with a mixer for recording music. Sound quality is fine, I can't tell if it's all that different from my ART Phono USB, which I've also used for recording music prior to buying the Behringer.

One interesting thing I found with the Behringer is that it does D->A conversion, which the ART doesn't.
 
Back
Top Bottom