• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's the deal with EL86 amps - Lafayette 250A etc?

loomis

bland
I just picked up at an estate sale a Lafayette 250A integrated amp for fifty bucks. I have no clue how people determine if it's a KT-250A or an LA-250A. It doesn't say. Is this Japanese or US-built?

Anyhow, it's an EL86 Mullard amp with 7199's. What's the deal with EL86 / 6CW5 amps? Why weren't more made? Seems kinda odd.

And what is the consensus with swapping out the 7199's with 6GH8A's? I see adaptors on ebay. Yes I read the thread here about a seemingly failed attempt to swap to a 6U8, and that was just sorta unresolved...

Curious to know about this amp other that the couple old threads on here. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
The 6GH8 and 6U8 are approximately similar designs to the 7199, being a pentode/triode tube with similar characteristics. 7199's are expensive compared to either of the other two so some folks modify things to take a much cheaper tube.

Only thing I've ever seen with an EL86 is my Norelco tabletop radio. it uses an EL84/EL86 pair in a strange cathode follower configuration along with no output transformer, a big coupling cap, and 800 ohm speakers. I've never run across anything that used them for output tubes in the more conventional sense. I believe Phillips was the only outfit that made a lot of OTL designs that used the EL84/EL86 pairing in that way.
 
Wonder why the EL86 wasn't used more? It seems like a good performer.

And why haven't 7199's been remanufactured exactly?
 
6CW5s can actually deliver more power than 6BQ5s, but it would take class AB with fixed bias, and ideally a regulated screen supply. I think the simplicity of 6BQ5 cathode bias won...

As for the 7199, I've converted several amps successfully to 6U8 or 6GH8, and have more in the wings... my Stromberg ASR-880 may keep the original 719s, probably nothing else will. I have heard that the Russian 7199s (now obsolete...) were repinned 6BL8s - another 6U8 sub.
 
. I have no clue how people determine if it's a KT-250A or an LA-250A. It doesn't say. Is this Japanese or US-built?*

Kt would be a kit and la would be factory assembled. Tell tale signs would be rivited sockets for the factory assembled but is not a gaurentee.
 
Yeah, Sovtek offered 7199's for a while. Probably quit making them because no current-production equip. uses that tube.
 
Back
Top Bottom