• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's with vintage headphones?

Ok, I'll bite, I'm curious.
I've never been much of a headphone user, but did have Koss Pro4AAs that I tossed after hearing and buying a pair of Sony MDR-7s (back in early - all metal - Walkman days).
I doubt I've worn them for even 50hrs total, but did replace the foam earpieces at some point.
I can't find any (first 5 page) giggle search results on 'em, but did see a pair sell for an insane amount on eb a while back.
I did recently try them in comparison to JBL LSR305s, and was really surprised at how deep they go, and otherwise super clean and crisp, but haven't done anything further with 'em - I just don't like 'wiars dangling from my head'!
IMG_20180929_075717409.jpg
Are any of you headphone experts familiar with these, or can point me to other resources about them?
Mostly I'm curious if they are 'good enough' (I think they are) to justify getting a USB DAC with headphone outputs next time around....:) (Currently using a Topping D50 with the LSR305s.)
Thanks!
 
Since we are talking vintage headphones can anyone identify this model? Trying to refurbish !
 

Attachments

  • C69C5586-FD63-469A-AE12-B7F4D94723C2.png
    C69C5586-FD63-469A-AE12-B7F4D94723C2.png
    408 KB · Views: 5
I collect vintage headphones. The best sounding ones I have are the Koss 4AA's. But they are quite uncomfortable. I now have a pair of sealed, over ear Sennheisers that I used a lot in my practice room until I found these:
1686852615317.png

Bass goes deep but is not at all boomy, and the highs sound great as well. I've powered them with my phone, my practice amp and even my 1970's Hitachi separates system. I liked them so much I bought five pair. On sale they were $19 a pair. They are over ear and extremely light. I can wear them for hours - and have.
 
Ok, it´s a very old thread. However since I love headphones I´d like to share my sentiments on this theme. First of all, I´d like to "complete" MrParsnips list which I fully endorse: AKG K400 and 500, Beyer DT 880 M (also from the 80ies), the Yamaha orthodynamics and their originals, the Peerless Mikrophonbau (PMB) 6, 8 and 100. PMB built the Yamahas. Sennheiser HD 414 and 424 from the first and perhaps second series. Later on they were lookalikes that sounded much worse. My 1968 414, the first HiFi item I bought at all, beats my much later 424 by far. And Sennheiser HD-25 is already in the vintage range also.

My favourite still is the HD-250 Linear 600 Ohm.
 
Back
Top Bottom