• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's Your Favorite 6V6gt Current Production Tube?

Harlon

Active Member
Title pretty much spells it out. Just picked up a V-M 6V6 PP amp and preamp combo. It can with a mix of V-M and Westinghouse GT and GTA tubes. I'd like to swap them out for a fresh matched quad.

Most of the stuff I've found online is based on their use in guitar amps. Looking for some audio opinions on best new production 6V6gt/gta tubes. The guitar guys seem to lean toward the Electro-Harmonex, JJ and TADs. I like the apparent GTAesque 14Watt PP capabilities of these tubes.

What's the forum think?
 
Register to hide this ad
I prefer Tung Sol for hifi, but for all I know EH and TS are the same tube.
 
I've sort of wondered about the stuff coming out of the New Sensor factory. Multiple brands of the same tube from the same factory, how different are they really? Wouldn't remotely surprise me if Tung Sol and Electro Harmonix is the same thing with a different label. I'd pretty much expect it TBH.

Anyway, me being a cheapwad, I'd make sure the tubes in it actually need replacing. I have a lot of stuff with old tubes that are just fine.
 
Haven't you posted to enough of my threads to know I'm always looking for a way to keep this amp hobby going. If I have to replace the existing tubes then I'll have a tube or two laying around for the next project. It's all part of the plan.
 
Title pretty much spells it out. Just picked up a V-M 6V6 PP amp and preamp combo. It can with a mix of V-M and Westinghouse GT and GTA tubes. I'd like to swap them out for a fresh matched quad.

Most of the stuff I've found online is based on their use in guitar amps. Looking for some audio opinions on best new production 6V6gt/gta tubes. The guitar guys seem to lean toward the Electro-Harmonex, JJ and TADs. I like the apparent GTAesque 14Watt PP capabilities of these tubes.

What's the forum think?
 
New production, I like the Tung-Sol ReIssues in my 1951 FISHER Coronet. Good Bass, outstanding Mid's, and high's that aren't shrill (although I think that's more the circuit than the tube....) Good all around tube.

The T-S is a little more punchy than the equivalent EH, although I wouldn't toss the EH's. Some amps the EH's will excell , and some the T-S's will excell.

Larry
 
Does anyone have any experience with the Genalex Gold Lion 6V6GT? They seem to have a similar structure to the GTA and are purportedly a premium tube. Are they any better of a tube than the standard EH or TS tubes?
 
Back
Top Bottom