• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What's your favorite cartridge on SME 3009 series 2 non-improved

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm getting the itch to try another cartridge on my Thorens TD125 with SME 3009 S2 not improved. I started restoring my TD125 late last year and finished up around February. I documented my restoration in a thread here on AK. The table got a full recap, new plinth, new bearings, new belt, and a fully rebuilt SME 3009 S@. The S2 is a very early S2 serial number, not the improved version. The table looks and sounds great, but I've got the itch to roll some different cartridges and see what I hear. So far I've used a Denon 310 mkII, and Denon 304. I don't think these are usual suspects for this arm, so I'm looking for cartridge recommendations. What is your favorite cartridge pot pair with the SME 3009 S2? Old, new, MM, MI, MC, whatever, let me know what you like and why.

I have a Pickering V-15/ame3 I'm going to set up and give a listen too. I've got a Pickering XV-15/625E on another table I've been happy with, so maybe the V-15/AME3 will perform nicely on the 3009.
 
Register to hide this ad
V 15 AME 3 not a good match for a SME 3009 II. Shure V 15 Type II improved (or the trickle down M 75 ED) or Pickering XV 15/750 or higher ideal matches for the arm.
 
@KentTeffeteller thanks for the info. What about the Pickering XSV 3000, 4000, or 5000? Are they a good match? The arm came with a Shure V15 (1). The body is a solid chunk of aluminum.
 
The Pickerings you mention with genuine styli, are ideal in this tonearm. And being MM, I think Jico with some work could make some aftermarket styli for them which would be on par with what they do for Shures. Jico's improved their Pickering/Stanton MI offerings along, the classic 680/681/Pickering XV 15 family. In conical and elliptical styli, they're very good now.
 
I have that arm. I requested it on a TD124 I got last summer. My intention was mounting a 681EE which I did and am happy with the combination. The shop owner who sold me the outfit said "magic is supposed to happen" when using a Shure V15 III. I tried my V15 III and it hums in that arm so I'm back to the 681EE. There's nothing compelling me to experiment further.
 
I'm getting the itch to try another cartridge on my Thorens TD125 with SME 3009 S2 not improved. I started restoring my TD125 late last year and finished up around February. I documented my restoration in a thread here on AK. The table got a full recap, new plinth, new bearings, new belt, and a fully rebuilt SME 3009 S@. The S2 is a very early S2 serial number, not the improved version. The table looks and sounds great, but I've got the itch to roll some different cartridges and see what I hear. So far I've used a Denon 310 mkII, and Denon 304. I don't think these are usual suspects for this arm, so I'm looking for cartridge recommendations. What is your favorite cartridge pot pair with the SME 3009 S2? Old, new, MM, MI, MC, whatever, let me know what you like and why.

I have a Pickering V-15/ame3 I'm going to set up and give a listen too. I've got a Pickering XV-15/625E on another table I've been happy with, so maybe the V-15/AME3 will perform nicely on the 3009.
How was the 304 with that arm? I have the 304 but I am selling it because I came up on a Denon DL-S1 and plan on using it on my 125/SME combo.

Audiofreak71
 
How was the 304 with that arm? I have the 304 but I am selling it because I came up on a Denon DL-S1 and plan on using it on my 125/SME combo.

Audiofreak71

It's really great. It sounds very real, with great width and depth. I probably should just leave it alone and enjoy it, but I seem to want to change my system continuously. I think I have a problem. :eek:
 
It's really great. It sounds very real, with great width and depth. I probably should just leave it alone and enjoy it, but I seem to want to change my system continuously. I think I have a problem. :eek:
Yes back in the day, SME worked side by side with Shure so the arm was designed around a V15 II.
But that was then and many cartridges will work on it, I wouldn't be swapping a Denon 304 to use a V15 on it. I would use my 3009 II Improved with cartridges like the Sumiko EVO III and a Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso DTi. Before I had those cartridges on it I was using a V15 II, I wouldn't take them off to put it back on.
 
@4-2-7 my 3009 series 2 is the early not improved version. I believe that makes it a better match for cartridges that like higher mass arms (I can't keep it straight if that's low or high compliance).
 
The best cartridge at the time was a V-15 iv, As cartridges improved I changed to a linear arm. Made all the difference with Ortofon MC's at the time. V-15 V MR and 881 and 981S sounded great, too later on. If I wanted a period cartridge I would want a Grace F9E. But I live today and not in the past, so I'll stick with my Dynavectors. 10 X 5, 20 X and 20 X 2 high output moving coils.
 
Effective mass of Series 2 non-improved is 12g. According to various resonance calculators, you should be more or less OK with cartridges that have compliance up to 25 and mass of 5g or with cartridges that have compliance up to 22 and mass of 8 grams. So this tonearm is actually light enough to run such high compliance cartridges as, say, Ortofon VMS20E Mk II.

At the same time, if your cartridge is relatively heavy (about 10g), you're golden even with cartridges that have dynamic compliance as low as 10.

Personally I would use something like Goldring Eroica LX with this tonearm. It's a very nice LOMC that is medium-high compliance (18) and would be a perfect match for SME 3009 Series 2 non-improved.
 
The choice of which pickup to use on it is all about the actual stylus being used, otherwise the cart is just mass to the arm.
 
Hi, I have 3009 2 non improved, with removable headshell. It just came back from SMETONEARMS here in Canada. Alfred did a complete refurbishment on it, new wire from headshell to RCAs, new bearing and rear stub, it is basically brand new. I use Signet TK9 that sound amazing, until recently now it’s riding on a Grace F9 with a soundsmith OCL red stylus. It’s marvellous, a lot more refined , more mature than the signets.
EB820D48-A5D9-4CAE-A8DB-77DA9967982F.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom