• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's your gear?

addylo

Active Member
With so many talented shooters here I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of "stuff" is being used. Even software would be fun to know.

I'm sure quite a few of you have multiple camera bodies. In those cases just list the gear you use the most often.

I'll start. I've got a couple of other point-and-shoots but this is my main gear.

Camera body:
- Nikon D80

Lenses:
- Sigma 150mm f/2.8
- Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
- Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5
- Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
- Sigma 1.4x Teleconverter

Tripod/Ballhead:
- Gitzo GT2540
- Really Right Stuff BH-40

Flash:
- Nikon SB-800

Bags (Hey, I'm kind of a bag nut!):
- Domke F-6 (my main around-town bag)
- Tenba Messenger (laptop and/or camera bag)
- Tenba Shootout Sling (for travel, hiking, etc)
- LowePro Toploader Zoom (for light-duty)

Software:
- Lightroom 3 (my primary editor)
- Capture NX2
- Bibble (now defunct)
- GIMP
 
Register to hide this ad
OK, I'll bite

Camera Bodies - Digital
Nikon D300
Nikon D40 (always in the car)
Olympus ELP 2 (travel)

Camera Bodies - Film
Nikon N90
Nikon FM w/ MD12 Motor Drive

Lenses
Nikkor 50MM 1.4 FX
Nikkor 35MM 1.8 DX
Nikkor 18-200MM 3.5-5.6
Tokina 11-16MM 2.8
Tamron 90MM 2.8 Macro
Tamron 28-300MM 3.5-6.3
Nikkor 18-55MM (kit lens on the D40 in the car)
Olympus 14-42MM 3.5-5.6
Lumix 45-200MM 4-5.6

Flash
Nikon SB400

Tripods
Bogen Manfrotto 3021 w/ 3030 Head
Benro C1690T

Bags (I don't ever seem to be happy with bags)
A couple of Lowe Pro Backpacks from the film days, 1 large, 1 smaller
Tamrac sling bag that's my main bag for the D300
Think Tank Retrospective 5
Kiva Sling bag that I carry the D40 in

Software
Aperture 2.0
Photoshop CS3
 
Minolta 7000
Nikon FG
Kodak C613...6MP
Fuji AV100...12MP

75-200mm maxxum lens
80-205mm nikon lens

various lighting/flash equipment, tripods and lightboxes
 
Digital
Nikon D-300 body with MB-D10 grip
Nikon 17-55 f2.8
Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR
Nikon 50 mm f1.4 AI-s

Nikon SB-800 flash

Sandisk Extreme IV 16 Gig card

Bag is a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW

Film
Minolta 5xi body
Tamron 24-70 lens
Minolta 100-300 manual zoom lens
 
Glass
Canon 85mm F/1.8 USM
Canon 135mm F/2L USM
Canon 200mm F/ 2.8L USM
Canon 300mm F/4.0L IS USM
Canon 300mm F/2.8L IS USM
Canon 17-40mm F/4.0L USM
Canon 70-200mm F/4.0L IS USM
Canon 100-400mm F/4.5/5.6 IS USM
Canon 1.4x Tele-converter
Sigma 50mm HSM 1.4
Sigma 24MM HSM 1.8

Flash
Canon 580EX Flash

Bodies
Canon 5D Full Frame
Canon 1D Mark II 1.3 Crop Factor
Canon 40D 1.6 Crop Factor

Bags
Tumi Limited Edition Camera Bag
Lowe Pro Treker
Crumpler Million Dollar bag
Naneu Pro Backpack

Tripods & Monopods

Manfrotto 057 series Tripod
Manfrotto 190 series Tripod
Manfrotto 3055 Ballhead
Manfrotto 3265 Grip Type Ballhead
Classic Series Monopod
290 Series Monopod

Software and Tools
L.R. 4.0 main editor
Photoshop CS4.0
Filters that came with different Items I have purchased
Wacom Bamboo Graphics Tablet
 
Last edited:
Digital DSLRs I have:
Sony a330
Olympus E-420
Olympus E-410
Olympus E-300
Nikon D70s
Nikon D100

EVIL Camera:
Olympus E-PL1

P&S digital cameras:
Nikon S6100
Panasonic DMC FZ20
Panasonic TZ-FZ3
Kodak Z990 super zoom

Film SLRs:
Nikon F60
Ricoh KR-5 Super
Ricoh KR-5 Super II
Pentax K1000
Minolta Maxxum 5000
Minolta 3000 i
Vivitar v2000
Pentax Auto110
Minolta 110 Zoom SLR
Each camera has it's own case or bag
Most of my cases, bags and backpacks are Lowepro, Tamrac or Kata brand.

Have about 6 tripods of various brands with different kinds of heads and
about 3 monopods
Various flash units, soft boxes and bouncers
Light meters and flash meter
A lot of lenses, both manual and auto focus
Cokin filters, holders and adapters

My favorite cameras to use, are the Sony a330, Olympus E-300 and Olympus E-PL1
 
I'm in...

Nikon F3/MD4
D7000
Canon SX-30/IS Quasi

Nikkor 20/3.5 MF
Tamron 28-70/3.5-4.5 MF
Micro Nikkor 105/4 MF
Tokina 80-200/2.8 ATX MF
Tokina 400/5.6 SD MF
I may swap most of these for modern Nikkors to cover 11-400mm very soon. My D7000 resolution just shows too many problems.

Gitzo 320 legs
Manfrotto 3221 legs
Bogen 3047 pan/tilt head
Bogen 3055 ball
Manfrotto 697B mono

Cokins- mainly grad ND filters

Domke F2X

PowerMac Quad 2.5 PPC / GraphicConverter & Photshop CS6
 
Last edited:
Boy is this embarrassing.

Cameras

Panasonic FZ15 - Use when I go close.
Panasonic FZ35 - Used for everything else.

Software

Gimp 2.6

That's it.

Jim
 
Last edited:
Well, mine is short:


Film Camera:
Canon AE1 with 50mm lens and 70-200mm lens

Digital Camera:
Canon T1i with stock kit Lens

Lightroom 3

Gotta start somewhere, right? :D
 
I may swap most of these for modern Nikkors to cover 11-400mm very soon. My D7000 resolution just shows too many problems.

I notice the same thing with my D300. Yet on my N90 and film, not so much. Wonder what gives?
 
Dan,
I think that the newest stuff is of such high res. that lens imperfections manifest themselves. I used to shoot K25 and had no problem with the non-nikkors under a 10x loupe. As I understand it, the problem arises because film was more forgiving in that adjacent silver grains were not a lattice structure as CMOS sensors are (5 to 8 micron square photosites) and actually cover less than 50% of the sensor in the camera. But I still do not have the answer. :dunno::headscrat

Here are a couple of relevant sites.

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/lens-sharpness.htm
http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF7.html
 
I notice the same thing with my D300. Yet on my N90 and film, not so much. Wonder what gives?

Some older film lenses just do not work well with digital cameras. Like Tybrad said, it has to do with the way the lenses interact with digital sensors. The distance between the lens and the focal plane is probably different too.
 
My modest collection:

Digital...
Canon EOS 30D
EF 50mm F1.8 (Nifty Fifty)
EF 24-85 f3.5-4.5 USM
EF 28-80 f3.5-5.6 USM (the very first ring-motor USM lens)
EF 75-300 f4-5.6 III
Canon Speedlite 550EX
Canon Powershot G10
ProMaster 2500EDF flash

Film....
Canon EOS 10S
Canon EOS Elan
uses same lenses as the 30D plus the 550EX works, too!
Ricoh KrII-Super
Pentax Takumar M 50mm f1.7
Riken 28-70 f4-5.6 zoom
Olympus Pen 1/2 frame EE2
Olympus Stylus 105

Ponder & Best Professional tripod with 1 Slik MF head (I used this when I shot a Mamiya 645 but it works great with my Canons)
Velbon 60" quick-release tripod (cheap and handy)
Velbon 65" monopod

I don't use the film cameras much these days.
 
The camera I use for everything:
Canon EOS 300D

The old one I used until a few months ago:
Canon EOS 300 (Rebel 2000 to anyone from the US)

Random ones laying around:
Minolta XG-7
Canon AT-1
Fujica GER
Yashica MG-1

Lenses:
EF-S 18-55mm kit lens (non-IS)
EF 80-200 f/4.5-5.6 II
FD 70-210mm
FD 50mm
MD\MC Vivitar something on the Minolta
Universal Vivitar 75-260 f/4.5 with an unknown mount on it

Point-and-shoot cameras:
Sony DSC-H7 with a missing (odd) shutter button, but still works with the remote
My brother has some random Fujifilm 9 MP.

Flashes:
Vivitar Zoom Thryristor for the SLRs other than the EOS 2000
a random Minolta flash with batteries corroded inside and can't figure out how to open the battery door.

Software:
Adobe Photoshop CS3
Gimp (when using Linux).
 
In the bag:

Canon 7D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400 4-5.6L IS, 430EX II

Backups:

Canon T2i, 18-55 & 55-250 IS kit lenses, the 18-55 is particularly notable as the biggest piece of crap ever to carry the Canon name
 
What I use.
Panasonic LUMIX GH2 w/G Vario HD 14-140mm, Mega O.I.S.
Olympus OM, F.ZUIKO 1:1.8, 50mm
Panasonic DMW-FL500 flash, Vello Softbox
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB, SDCH Class 10
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3, P&S
Benro Travel Angel Tripod
Nikon & Tiffen filters
Lowepro bag
Photoshop
 
Minimalist here...

Digital -
Canon Powershot G10
Canon ELPH 300

Film -
Nikon N80 and lenses plus some old SLRs I revive at times.

Someday when I can afford it, I'll get a DSLR. I can't get narrow DOF with my small sensor digicams.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom