• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

When Drummers Were Born...

Register to hide this ad
Neil Peart has been in quite a few tributes to Buddy Rich. Those big band drummers were pretty talented. Rich's speed in that video is unbelievable, and he stays in perfect control.

But after seeing Peart live, I'm gonna say that he's the best to pick up the drum sticks. He has mastered so many styles of drumming.

Watch Neil show his speed at about 6:40 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVrN9SdRuk.
 
Lots of great drummers out there but you do not see many female drummers. I have been watching this up coming female drummer and I do say she will have a great career.

Watch the left hand on the snare, no matter what its always rolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X24ZoratZTE

This guy is multi talented if I do say so myself. Watch all....who says you cant be in 3 places at once!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/corporeal
 
Last edited:
Neil Peart has been in quite a few tributes to Buddy Rich. Those big band drummers were pretty talented. Rich's speed in that video is unbelievable, and he stays in perfect control.

But after seeing Peart live, I'm gonna say that he's the best to pick up the drum sticks. He has mastered so many styles of drumming.

Watch Neil show his speed at about 6:40 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVrN9SdRuk.

Buddy Rich is still one of my favorites. For rock, I like Peart and Carl Palmer. I also really like McCartney's current drummer Abe Laboriel. He just looks like he's having a lot of fun when he's playing. Then again, if your drumming for McCartney and Clapton anybody would probably be happy.

I also feel Charlie Watt and Ringo are both underated. Watt's jazz stuff is really good. You can tell he really likes jazz and seems bored when playing with the Stones. Of course, playing with the same band for close to fifty years has to get boring after a while even with his $130 million estimated worth. Come to think of it, Watt or Ringo are probably the wealthiest drummers. Amazingly, Watt has remained married through out to the same woman and Ringo and Barbara Bach are going on thirty years.
 
Last edited:
I have to say Buddy myself. Not much on power drummers, but they are fun to watch.

My second would be Mitch Mitchell. Hendrix could go way out there and Mitch would go get him and bring him back.
 
Buddy Rich was amazing. I recently found a collection of 7 Rich LP's at a thrift in great condition.

The cover on this one says it all.

BuddyRichTheMonster.jpg


and the two of them. :music:

KrupaRich-1.jpg
 
Carl Palmer is one of the best in the business; very technical and classically trained. Other greats IMO would be Ginger Baker (a protoplasmic metronome) and Danny Seraphine.

If you are looking for a truly talented female drummer, check out Hannah Ford. She is all over You-Tube; here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4t4lYUJ1gk

Goldwing
 
But after seeing Peart live, I'm gonna say that he's the best to pick up the drum sticks. He has mastered so many styles of drumming.

Agreed, except years before I saw him live I became convinced of this by simply listening to all the Rush albums (up to that time: '91). :D Seeing him live 9 times since '94 only solidified my belief (although I haven't liked his past couple of drum solos as much as earlier ones).

Btw, Neil has repeatedly referenced his debt to many earlier drummers (and even some parallel to him, right up to now), including Rich, Krupa, Baker, and Moon.
 
A lot of great ones, and so many get overlooked. As a drummer myself, I'd have to go with Buddy Rich as the "standard". He set the bar and blew away his contemporaries. Peart is probably the best of the modern day drummers, as mentioned before he has mastered so many different styles, even mimicking Buddy himself quite well.
 
I'm not real familiar with the sound of early drummers. As far as the second generation of real drummers Mitch Mitchell was my favorite.Born drummer IMO.
 
Come to think of it, Watt or Ringo are probably the wealthiest drummers.

Don't forget a drummer named Phil Collins, who played in a fusion band called Brand X while he was still the drummer for Genesis. He has also released a big band album as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom