• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

When more is more. One of JVC's Best, the QL-Y7.

Lest we forget the Goldmund TTs used JVC DD motors, although I cannot say that they didn't also used others.
 
I know this was posted several years ago. Anyone familiar with the turntable that can give me some advice on the STOP "Brake" - when you press stop the brake extends up under the platter to help slow it down. Mine makes a scrapping sound - I can't figure out if this is normal or not. Any help would be great!
 
Hey Guys,

My fascination with JVC started with a middle of the line Integrated amp and tuner I got at a thrift store. Its build quality and performance blew me away considering how abused it looked and the fact that it used "darlington power pack" drivers. I made a thread about it, and many people came out of the "JVC Fan closet". http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204813

My brother then came home with an interesting integrated amp, the A-X5. It has some trick circuitry that lets it play Class-A for the most part, with little to no crossover distortion. The sound was laser sharp, clean, and extremely revealing. It was love from then on. I had to have the bigger brother, the A-X9, and I finally came across one a few months ago. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3359/3214918920_bd20cdda4f_b.jpg . Hooked up to an extremely unforgiving pair of Infinity speakers, the JVC still held its own.

I then found a pair of speakers I never knew Victor/JVC ever made. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219087 Back loaded horn cabinets with heavy duty drivers, and again...a complete pleasant surprise.

Where does this lead me? Well...I think I finally found a turntable that matches the performance of the above items. The JVC QL-Y7. It's a direct drive turntable, with a servo operated tonearm, and semi-automatic control.

Most purists go for belt drive with a fully manual tonearm. Remove ALL chances of distortion in the signal path, just pure analog. While the british press ridiculed direct drive turntables, the japanese manufacturers soldiered on, and brought us some gear that kept up with or out performed the purist turntables in most any measurements. The QL-Y7 was one of them.

The direct drive system was the standard in japan for radio broadcast. Very heavy duty, absolute speed, and no motor noise were some hallmarks of this drive system. Denon and some other companies used this drive system in some expensive decks. The servo controlled tonearm is semi automatic, but fully motorized. The goal was to reduce resonance, and keep tracking forces as accurate as possible. Damping, tracking force, and anti skate are all electronically controlled, and adjusted by knobs that take the guesswork out of adjusting. There are two more adjustments that are manual. A knob adjusts the VTA, and there is a traditional counterweight installed to get the tonearm to balance at zero. The plinth is mirror gloss, rosewood veneered, and acoustically deadened enough to contribute to its 30+pound weight.

The result? Well...its wonderful! I am swapping between a Shure M95ED and a Grado silver, and its real cool to have a table that reveals the character of each cartridge. I still prefer my Beogram 8000's cartridge, but that cartridge cost me more than the whole JVC! And while i'm still a linear tracker kind of guy, the gadgetry in this "traditional" JVC is a great compromise for a geek like me. I can swap cartridges, and put less wear on the beogram. Plus I can fit in, with a non B&O turntable ;)

Does anybody else have experience with this turntable? I'd love to get more opinions. Does anybody have magazine reviews? From what I have read, this table tested at the top or near the top in magazine reviews.

Some shots...
3469492354_a5e827a678_b.jpg

3468677997_f8bbe30780_b.jpg

3469491228_4ca7098aff_b.jpg

3468678353_54f42b0e72_b.jpg

3468678563_9f3abb2251_b.jpg

3468677767_582c0f75aa_b.jpg


Love seeing god JVC posts!! :) it's fantastic gear! Beautiful table. Thanks for sharing and the pix.
 
At the end of a record, the the brake engages and the platter instantly stops. The brake makes soft “poot” sound then releases so the platter is free to spin. Around the pushing metal brake finger, there is a small felt pad. It reminds me of carpet padding – the brown fibrous kind.
 
as mentioned, the tip of the stop rod is now metal to metal. You can adhere something onto the end to replace what is worn, such as sticky felt, or perhaps a piece of rubber? remember, it's just to slow down the platter
 
I have what I think is their top dog, not sure though, the QL-10 w/TT-101 drive. Makes wonderful music and I really like the 7045 arm as well. Best sounding TT I've owned for sure.
 
Reading this older post brings back some of the earlier Victor/JVC AK fans seldom seen today
or no longer participating.

I have what I think is their top dog, not sure though, the QL-10 w/TT-101 drive.

Top at that particular time and certainly one you could surmise was a design and development statement for the company
gong forward.

Primarily in Japan was Victor known to be one of the primary supplier's and dispenser's of Table engineering and expertise
used by other companies when TOTL products were required. That convoluted web of the "secret society" tags and labels.

The point, none really other than shedding light on historical accuracy.
 
I have a cosmetically challenged QL-A2 and I really love it. The speed is always rock solid and no bad noises at all. I wish it was prettier and higher up the JVC ladder like the OP deck but it serves me well.
 
I have what I think is their top dog, not sure though, the QL-10 w/TT-101 drive. Makes wonderful music and I really like the 7045 arm as well. Best sounding TT I've owned for sure.

That's an end game setup for sure. I'd put that deck up there with the DP-80, SP-10mk2 etc. Really a fantastic piece of engineering.
 
Reading this older post brings back some of the earlier Victor/JVC AK fans seldom seen today
or no longer participating.



Top at that particular time and certainly one you could surmise was a design and development statement for the company
gong forward.

Primarily in Japan was Victor known to be one of the primary supplier's and dispenser's of Table engineering and expertise
used by other companies when TOTL products were required. That convoluted web of the "secret society" tags and labels.

The point, none really other than shedding light on historical accuracy.
Thankfully Japan Victor Corp utilised their Direct Drive motor engineers to blueprint superb motors for other corporations. The motor and motor control electronics in the Yamaha GT 2000 being only one of the products of one such collaboration.
 
Last edited:
I have repeatedly said that the motor/motor control electronics are the beating heart of the Yamaha GT 2000. That is the greatness of the GT 20000. That greatness came from the mind and fingertips of a JVC employee. Everyone might think that I acclaim Yamaha since I acclaim the Yamaha GT 2000. The Yamaha GT 2000 is great because Yamaha had the good sense to approach Matsushita Corporation and purchase a design via their factories(National and Victor).
 
I have a number of JVC's including one with the same tonearm just a slightly different platter arrangement. I also have the QL50 great DD but you install the tonearm of your choice, of which I have the SME 3009 III, a great tonearm. But my favorite is my JVC QL Y66L a beast of a table with Mag levitation on the platter, which is oversized as well. A choice of three types of tonearms, one extreme low mass, one low mass, and one mid mass. Servo controlled fully auto tone arm.

WIN_20171129_22_15_06_Pro.jpg
 
I'm using a wonderful QL-7 in my primary stereo rig w/ a DL-103 cart and Schitt MC pre. Sounds marvelous. I've been a big fan of JVC gear since the 80s. Likely because it was all I could afford back then! :)
 
I have a number of JVC's including one with the same tonearm just a slightly different platter arrangement. I also have the QL50 great DD but you install the tonearm of your choice, of which I have the SME 3009 III, a great tonearm. But my favorite is my JVC QL Y66L a beast of a table with Mag levitation on the platter, which is oversized as well. A choice of three types of tonearms, one extreme low mass, one low mass, and one mid mass. Servo controlled fully auto tone arm.

View attachment 1180326
Are you saying that their are 3 arm wands for the Y66? I only know of two. Could you elaborate?
 
Back
Top Bottom