• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Where to buy new vinyl?

I live in LA. So I frequently visit the Amoeba music store in Hollywood. I have noticed in the last couple of years a lot of old titles are being reissued on vinyl. I was there Friday and it seems for most popular records, there were more new pressings than used. But most of these new records are going for $20 - $25 for a single disk and $40 for a double LP. It also seams used record prices are going up too. I have only bought a few new records in the last year. All of them seamed to be in perfect condition except one. It had enough of a warp that it sent the needle airborne from the record surface. I took it back and was cheerfully sent back to the stacks to get a new record. When I got it home, same problem. Well on my next trip to the store, the person working the return counter suggested I put a dime on the tone arm. I said that was unacceptable. So I was given another new replacement. Strangely enough, third time was the charm. It plays without am incident.
 
I buy from Barnes & Noble, absolutely no issues with returns...

Just placed my first vinyl order with Barnes and Noble on Sunday (Sgt. Pepper's 50th anniversary pressing and R.E.M. Automatic for the People 25th Anniversary pressing). With free shipping and online discounts/coupon code it was cheaper than buying in the store and much greater selection to choose from. I started a thread in the Turntables forum, but I'll share my comments here once they arrive and I have a chance to inspect and listen to them.
 
Just placed my first vinyl order with Barnes and Noble on Sunday (Sgt. Pepper's 50th anniversary pressing and R.E.M. Automatic for the People 25th Anniversary pressing). With free shipping and online discounts/coupon code it was cheaper than buying in the store and much greater selection to choose from. I started a thread in the Turntables forum, but I'll share my comments here once they arrive and I have a chance to inspect and listen to them.

I like buying through them, easy return if needed.
 
Depends on who has the best price for what I'm looking for. Had one return to Amazon and they were cool about it.

Amoeba Music
Rasputin Music
Soundstage Direct
Amazon

You can't buy from Soundstage Direct anymore, they closed shop back in June/July after taking large sums of money from customers and not delivering products. I'll stay clear of using the word theft, that will be for the courts to decide. Lots of info on the SF forum.
 
You can't buy from Soundstage Direct anymore, they closed shop back in June/July after taking large sums of money from customers and not delivering products. I'll stay clear of using the word theft, that will be for the courts to decide. Lots of info on the SF forum.
Wow... I hadn't known. That really sucks taking advantage of their customers.
 
Last edited:
I buy from Barnes and Noble. Returns for refund are accepted without question. I also buy from used book store in my neighborhood, new and used. No problem with return for refund there. 35 years ago before CDs, I complained a lot about LPs. I couldn't wait for CDs to come out. Now, new LPs seem to be even worse; therefore, I just buy used ones for the most part, digitizing them with application of a pop filter to conveniently enjoy from my iTunes Library. It's all the entertainment/distraction I can handle.
 
Back
Top Bottom