• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Where to Buy Vintage Turntables Near DC

InfantOfProg

New Member
Hi all,

I’ve been searching for a vintage, fully automatic turntable for quite some time with zero success. I need an automatic TT because I’m blind and have a very hard time placing the needle at the start of the record. I tried one of the new automatics (an ATLP3) and hated it, hence my search for a vintage table.
I’ve looked on local CL here in D.C., as well as nearby cities from Richmond to Philly with no luck. I was hoping some vinyl loving folks here may be able to recommend places in the D.C. area where I might find a vintage table to purchase. I’m also willing to drive (i.e. have my wife drive me) within a couple hours (up to Philly or down to Richmond).
Any recommendations would be extremely appreciated!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm just up the road. AK'er dualhead is too. We always have our eyes out. I'll let him know. We'll find you something. Did you have something specific in mind?

In the meantime, might I suggest a slightly more modern but decent sounding and certainly much more plentiful deck like a Technics?
 
I'm just up the road. AK'er dualhead is too. We always have our eyes out. I'll let him know. We'll find you something. Did you have something specific in mind?

In the meantime, might I suggest a slightly more modern but decent sounding and certainly much more plentiful deck like a Technics?

Thank you so much! A Technics table would be at the top of my wishlist, actually. I've primarily been searching for direct drive (preferably quartz lock) and fully auto, so mostly Technics or Pioneer from the late 70s or early 80s. I have no aversion to p-mount cartridges or trying a linear tracking table, as well, so I am pretty open.

Cheers.
 
Greetings from a fellow DC-based AK'er.

Just Audio in the Baltimore area sells vintage and new gear. You might find some luck there. I've purchased new and used gear there with good results. The vintage gear is priced well above what you'd pay on craigslist, but you get a warranty etc. A quick look on their website shows a very limited vintage turntable inventory right now, but maybe you could see if they have anything waiting in the wings.

There's also a guy in the Baltimore area that goes by Round2Audio on Youtube and eBay. He occasionally posts some really nice turntables that he has refurbished and they look great. I don't have any direct experience with him though. I suppose you could message him via eBay to see if he has something in his inventory.

I occasionally check local craigslist and it certainly seems like there is a lot less good inventory than there was a year or two ago. But it's worth checking frequently and if you see something good and priced right, swoop in quickly. I picked up a Technics SL-QD35 as a secondary table for a very good price off craigslist a while ago. Not high end audiophile gear, but a perfectly respectable table that I'm very happy with.
 
I was going to mention Just Audio - I've been in there two or three times over the years (they fixed a blown power amp in my Marantz 2245, then it died again and they fixed it again under warranty). Only reason I didn't is because i've never seen a TT for sale in there? Tons of amps, speakers, cd players, tape decks, etc... but no TTs?

Anyway, I just looked on CL and there are several full-auto Technics decks and a Pioneer or two on there now, all local?
 
FWIW, There are some good ones on CL now. All fully automatic.
JVC L-E600, Pioneer PL-560, Sony PS-X55
 
Greetings from a fellow DC-based AK'er.

Just Audio in the Baltimore area sells vintage and new gear. You might find some luck there. I've purchased new and used gear there with good results. The vintage gear is priced well above what you'd pay on craigslist, but you get a warranty etc. A quick look on their website shows a very limited vintage turntable inventory right now, but maybe you could see if they have anything waiting in the wings.

There's also a guy in the Baltimore area that goes by Round2Audio on Youtube and eBay. He occasionally posts some really nice turntables that he has refurbished and they look great. I don't have any direct experience with him though. I suppose you could message him via eBay to see if he has something in his inventory.

I occasionally check local craigslist and it certainly seems like there is a lot less good inventory than there was a year or two ago. But it's worth checking frequently and if you see something good and priced right, swoop in quickly. I picked up a Technics SL-QD35 as a secondary table for a very good price off craigslist a while ago. Not high end audiophile gear, but a perfectly respectable table that I'm very happy with.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have checked with Just Audio. I've been told they are in the process of moving, so their used inventory is low at the moment. I will definitely continue to check with them though, for sure.

I'm slightly weary of purchasing from Craigslist, only because my vision is such that I am really incapable of judging the condition of any table. Similarly, I know that I will not be able to service or DIY anything I might buy, which is why I'd prefer to buy from a dealer or from another enthusiast who has cared for their equipment. To that end, I did post on BT here, so we'll see how that goes.

I did recently come close to buying a Technics SL-QL1 on CL from a gentleman who seemed to be knowledgeable and who took good care of his tables. Unfortunately, he had too much going on to be willing to get together to sell the table, which is a bummer as I'd have been very happy with that TT.
 
FWIW, There are some good ones on CL now. All fully automatic.
JVC L-E600, Pioneer PL-560, Sony PS-X55

Thank you! I've seen that Pioneer come up a few times recently, but I believe it's the later 80s belt drive version, and I kind of have my heart set on direct drive. I will definitely have a look at the JVC and the Sony though!
 
I also see:
Technics SL-L3, SL-QD2, SL-Q200

Thank you! I've seen the SL-QD2 and Q200, but my internet detective skills have determined that both of those are only semi-auto, which is too bad since one is right here in Alexandria. I haven't heard of the SL-L3, so I will check it out.

Cheers.
 
Lots of Technics available regularly on CL and what has worked really well for me lately, Facebook marketplace. Purchased a Q2 there a few weeks ago and have seen at least one more in the past week as well as other models (1950, D2, etc) all for reasonable prices. I am an hour or so outside of DC but be willing to drive a little as the best deals are often a little further out from DC/Baltimore proper.
 
HiFi Heaven in Falls Church has a lot of interesting vintage tables and other equipment, last I was there a couple of years ago. Prices are high, but equipment on the floor has been restored. There's also a couple of rooms across the hallway full of unrestored equipment: I was able to pick up a pair of unrestored Lenco L75 TT's for a great price.

Not too far from Alexandria either!

https://hifiheavenrepairs.com/
 
Lots of Technics available regularly on CL and what has worked really well for me lately, Facebook marketplace. Purchased a Q2 there a few weeks ago and have seen at least one more in the past week as well as other models (1950, D2, etc) all for reasonable prices. I am an hour or so outside of DC but be willing to drive a little as the best deals are often a little further out from DC/Baltimore proper.

Thanks for the suggestion. I abandoned Facebook a few years back, but I do have an eagle-eyed mother in-law who's on FB 24/7, and she loves to find a bargain. So I may outsource the FB search:)
 
HiFi Heaven in Falls Church has a lot of interesting vintage tables and other equipment, last I was there a couple of years ago. Prices are high, but equipment on the floor has been restored. There's also a couple of rooms across the hallway full of unrestored equipment: I was able to pick up a pair of unrestored Lenco L75 TT's for a great price.

Not too far from Alexandria either!

https://hifiheavenrepairs.com/

Yeah, I've bugged Brett at HiFi Heaven a few times over the last few months. He's probably sick of hearing from me by now, lol. Unfortunately he hasn't had anything in stock that would fit what I'm looking for.
 
You might try Music Technology in Springfield VA, they have a small selection of stuff for sale. (But I have no idea what they currently have in stock)
 
You might try Music Technology in Springfield VA, they have a small selection of stuff for sale. (But I have no idea what they currently have in stock)

Yeah, I've bugged them a couple times over the last few months, as well. I almost bought a Pioneer PL-530 from them, but it was at the beginning of the pandemic and I wasn't venturing out much at that point so ended up not going for it.
 
Was in hifi heaven last week to drop off a vintage Marantz model 22 to be repaired and noticed a beautiful Thorens turntable for sale. Way out of my price range but he did have several others there that were more reasonable.
 
Back
Top Bottom