• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wheres the best place to order good belts for my Sansui SC 3000 cassette deck

Tim Chandler

New Member
Need good quality drive belt set for Sansui sc 3000 cass deck. Called a place in Des Moines . They said We dont work on sansui and hung up. Sure its old but dang. No bussiness for them Thanks Later Tim
 
Register to hide this ad
I bought a huge stash of NOS belts years ago, it's been really good to me but when I have to order these guys deliver in a few days and have an awesome search engine.
https://www.turntableneedles.com/

That's a neat looking deck, make sure you get the counter belt as well, they always look good but they get hard and slip, some decks need it function properly.
 
Thanks Boneyard. looked at website . I have no idea what belt does what. My belts are melted goo. Also have no service manual to tell me what belt numbers are. I think theres 3 belts Later Tim
 
Your going to need lots of Q-tips and IPA to clean the goo off, it can take forever and a million Q-tips. You're a lotto winner if the service manual even mentions belts, most don't, it's an exercise in patience and taking a lot of photos of the tiny screws your removing. Most machines have 1-3 belts, two will turn to goo, the counter belt rarely does but it gets hard. Read the thread on JIS screwdrivers if you haven't, sometimes you'll run up against a screw that will not come out, it's not stuck, you need a different screwdriver. Good luck, I don't think there's many of those players around and it's pretty nice looking so take care of it.
 
Hi Tim,

Welcome to ak.

Here's some help: Service manual is available at hifiengine and for turntables vinylengine. Need to sign up to download but these sites are fine we all use them and don't get spammed.

Service Manual is here: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/sc-3000.shtml

To find your own belt kit, PRB makes belts. I downloaded the 06 application book and it shows FR7.7, SCQ11.1, SCX7.0 as the belts you need.

I find that https://www.electronicsupplycorp.com/ is a great supplier.

He had the belts I needed and a few other things and when I dropped one unit from the order he changed the shipping to save me over 5 bucks. Not many do that. I think he is a one man operation. Just put the belt number in the search and click the linked page for the results. It shows all three in stock, 11.35 total and well padded envelop shipping would be a buck or two. Belt kit less than $15, probably the same as others sell.

You can google PRB belts and download their catalog and find the belt numbers to verify what I put down.

There are a number of different ways to get belts, I like selecting them myself and getting them from someone that has a large stock of different sizes.
 
I have the SC5100-it has 4 belts. I got mine from Russell Industries. I have had good success, but I can't say my deck meets WF specs, but it runs great and sounds very good.

I did remove the transport to clean and replace. It is possible I could have done it with removing it, but the cleaning would have taken forever. If the Sansui had been my first deck to replace belts, I would have failed. I have learned a lot by doing a few units. Primarily: Take pictures, be patient-walk away when frustrated, go on the assumption that the engineers did intend for belts to be replaced, so look for logical points to remove fasteners to remove the transport. Many decks were designed with removal of the transport being necessary for successful servicing.

Case in point-I began servicing a Teac 3300S R2R, and I could see a small board in the way of where I needed access. It has two screws attaching it to a bracket-just unscrew-right? Well, one was easy-but the other had a tiny nut on the backside of the board, and nothing I could try was allowing me to hold the nut in place while I removed the bolt\screw. Stopped-tried again a day later-nada. Day 3, reasoned that the bracket must be held in place with it's own fasteners-which were below it-on either side of the power cord receptacle on the outside of the case.
I removed screws-bracket out-with the board attached-that's how they designed it-the engineers never intended for that little nut to be removed!
 
Thank you to all, above and beyond friendly help , Ill take heed to all suggestions Take pics for sure. i havent turned it on for 20 years. Like others use newer music formats tho dont understand USB and downloadable formats Later Tim
 
Back
Top Bottom