• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which 10" Idler Drive Dual - 1228 or 1215S

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
I'm setting up small vinyl system for my office. I have limited space, so have decided to go with a vintage 10" platter Dual turntable (combined with a Sherwood S-7100A receiver and a pair of JBL 4301B Control Monitors).

Assuming price and condition is comparable, which would you choose, the 1228 or the 1215S.

A few notes...

Both come in the original United Audio walnut veneer plinths. So, no difference there.

The 1228 is a 2-speed model (33 1/3 and 45 rpm). The 1215S is a 3-speed model (33 1/3, 45, 78 rpm). I don't own, nor do I ever plan to buy, any 78s. So, this difference has no impact on my decision.

The 1228 is a changer, but the one I'm looking at does not come with either of the multi-play spindles. Should I be able to locate a multi-play 33 1/3 spindle, it might be nice to throw half a dozen LPs on the machine and let it do its thing. So, not a must-have, but a potential nice-to-have in favor of the 1228.

The 1215S is the upgraded model with the cast alloy, dynamically balanced platter, four pole motor and upgraded tonearm (compared to the original 1215 model). So, very similar in specs and construction to the 1228 (but single play only).

Both are functional, but need cleaned and lubed. For those with experience servicing these, is either model easier/more difficult (for a reasonably competent DIYer) to work on? Does the changer mechanism of the 1228 make it less reliable and/or more difficult to service/maintain?

In terms of cartridges, I have plenty of vintage Sure cartridges that would be a good match for either Dual. I'm thinking about running an M31E (actually an M32E body with a NOS N31E stylus) on this. The cart and stylus are both inexpensive (I just bought a NOS N31E off eBay for $8.00 shipped - quite a deal for a NOS Shure 0.2 x 0.7 elliptical). I also have an M91ED with a NOS nude elliptical, but don't think I want to risk that one to an office environment where it could be at risk for damage (or I could just throw an $18 JICO made EVG replacement on it). Whichever table I decide, I'll probably try it at home first with both carts to see which I prefer before bringing it into the office.

In any case, given the above, if you were setting up a vintage vinyl system for a small office, which table would you prefer, and why?
 
Register to hide this ad
You can find the changer spindles every now and then, if you look hard enough. If that is a feature you would like to have I would say go for the 1228 and look for one. If you dont find one you still have a great turntable.
As far as service, because of the changer aspect there are additional things that will need to be addressed to service the 1228. There is a collar on those units that controls the tonearm height for the changer that hardens and breaks. Otherwise functionally they are similar, so either is easy enough to service if you have the abilities. I have serviced several 1219s and a 1019 and there are differences but not enough to make one more or less difficult than the other.
 
Don't rule out a 1209 or 1218 either. They're also changers and they play 78s. You can often find them free to a good home.
BTW, the 1228 doesn't have the single-multi play adjustment for the arm, so the broken dearing ring isn't an issue. The 1219, 1229 and 1229Q, and (I think) the 1249 were the only decks to use that system.
 
The 1215S is also a changer, no? In theory the 1228 is a better turntable. Better tonearm, synchronous motor, strobe light. However there are more plastic parts involved, and it's more finnicky. Uses the failure prone steuerpimpel, where the 1215S uses the white nylon one similar to on the 1019.
Like the 1218, the 1228 it came with a cartridge sled that adjusted the tonearm angle depending on single or multi play. At this point though if you look at them funny the plastic breaks due to pressure from the spring, if it isn't already broken. So you're better off with a regular cartridge sled.
The 1215S is actually a bit more solidly built underneath. If they're both working great, I'd say the 1228. If you're worried you're going to have to service it at some point soon, maybe the 1215S.
 
I'm just considering what is currently available locally within my modest budget.
I only paid $50 for my 1019. It was dirty as hell but everything worked. The only issue was the contacts in the cartridge sled, but that was easy to fix. It even came with a Shure V15 Type II, a base, and a dustcover.
 
I only paid $50 for my 1019. It was dirty as hell but everything worked. The only issue was the contacts in the cartridge sled, but that was easy to fix. It even came with a Shure V15 Type II, a base, and a dustcover.

If there was one available locally at that price, I'd be all over it.
 
If there was one available locally at that price, I'd be all over it.
Be patient. Check craigslist, etc. If you have a turntable repair specialist near you, pay him/her a visit.
Most important, be patient.
I got started with Duals when a friend of mine gave me a 1209 that had been sitting in his attic for at least 20 years. An hour or two and about 30 Q-tips later, it was working and playing records. Even with a cheap AT cart, it sounded better than my Technics rig with its air bearing LT arm.
The great thing about old Duals that have been sitting is that they don't work. People think they're junk and either give them away or let them go cheap. But usually it doesn't take much to get them working again, especially the 1019, 1209, 1218.
 
Too bad people use Google before they sell Turntables nowadays. And then they find forums like this and suckers like us and boom goes the price also on those old "junk" decks :).

But if a 1225 pops up on your search, that is a pretty nice little 10 incher too.
 
Last edited:
I also wouldn't rule out a 1009SK. I have one and like it a lot. Little brother to the 1019. Not sure if one is available in your area, but just another one to keep in mind
 
Back
Top Bottom