• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which ADS bookshelves?

Unless your room is really crammed with stuff, 13' X 17' doesn't seem too small a room for a L-1230.

There are two entranceways that force placement on the long wall and I feel like I have to sit to close to the speakers. I tried them on the short wall and moved back and it was much better, but the entranceways and furniture force me all the way to the other end of the room, which is too far away. I guess its more of a placement issue...
 
I'm currently deciding pretty much the same thing. My bedroom may be too small, I think. A little smaller than yours ( ~10.5'x12'). The L420's were stunning. The L520's were even more so. Now I am trying out the (German made/Braun M9's, M9/90's when I finish the crossover).

This is a crappy answer, but- all of these speakers I've tried in here were great. It really depends a little, I think, on how flexible your room is to speaker placement, where youre going to be listening, etc.

All of the above models were absolutely excellent in my room, and I still have all of them. Still trying to decide which is really best. I could really move the larger models out to the living room. Both the L420's and L520's were great. I even tried stacking them, which was pretty damn cool as well. Right now the current rotation has the M9/90's playing in my room. I just elevated them about 2' 3" off of the floor (as opposed to directly on the floor, aimed slightly up) and they sound wonderful. So really, like you- I don't quite know what to do either!

Really though, I think that the L420/L520's are absolutely wonderful for rooms of this size, though the larger models can obviously be great too, if you are willing to give up the space... In my humble opinion, you may be more than satisfied with the L520's in your room- why not just put the other set in the living room? : ). Again, I have a similar dilemma, so this rant may not have been very helpful. I need more time for testing, DAMMIT! :)

Yeah, my L520s are not lookers and would not look too good in the LR. I will move them down there, though, to get an idea of how they would sound.

I'm curious as to how far from the wall people are placing these speakers; I am able to place these closer to the walls w/o problems than most speakers...maybe the acoustic suspension design?
 
Wow- we think alike. I've also been wondering about how close these speakers should be placed from the wall.

Manual for the M9 says that they shouldn't really be placed closer than 50 cm from the side or rear walls, otherwise the speakers will have more bass. Mine are half that from the rear wall, and maybe 10 cm from the sides. Elevating them removed the extra bass, I think. I didn't really have the space to move them further away from the wall.

Still need to experiment with how far from the wall the L520's will be. Oh- are you elevating your 520's, or do you have them on the floor?
 
Any thoughts on the L10's? They're small two-way bookshelfers.
I've had a pair of them since around '85 or so. I bought them second hand too. I've pushed on them really hard for a good many years, almost abusively, and they still sound fine. The surrounds are all still intact and supple. They've been fine speakers. They mostly do bedroom system duty anymore, which means mostly silent. But when I fire up that system, they still sound fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom