• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which 'Bozak' speakers?

Register to hide this ad
Those are very interesting! I haven't heard of many ported Bozak cabinets. I will look over at the Bozak group on Yahoo - here is the link:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bozak_speakers/?yguid=346432932

The woofer is probably Bozak's standard B-199a, which is a 12" woofer. I don't know of a 10" driver made by Bozak. Because the cabinet is ported, this is probably one of Bozak's last attempts to meet market demands for smaller cabinets. This also means that the woofer probably has a very nice ceramic magnet structure.

The midrange appears to be the B209b with the aluminum cone. This is an excellent 5" midrange speaker, considered to be among the best cone midrange drivers ever.

The tweeters appear to be the B200x, again with aluminum cones. With updated crossovers, these tweeters are good for extending the high frequencies beyond original Bozak designs.

I would take the plunge on these, if they are in great, working condition. $200 isn't bad at all for a fully functional, great condition 3-way vintage loudspeaker pair. However, that is about full value, if you decide you don't like them. They will sound different than other vintage speakers - Bozak used the infinite baffle design approach. The cabinets that these famous drivers are mounted in could actually limit the performance of the woofer. It would be very interesting to listen to these. I have a pair of B302a, with essentially the same driver layout. Here is an interior picture of mine:

Bozak+B-302A+Interior+Left.jpg


My tweeters are spread a bit more, but because of the mounting angle on the ones advertised, I would imagine that the dispersion pattern is similar.
 
Last edited:
Must be a set of DIY 302s as the factiry mounted the 2 tweeters in front of the woofer on the 302a system. Alos the aspect ration of the height to width does not look to be the same as the 300 cabinet. I have a set of 302a speakers and love them.
 
Original CL Advertisement for Posterity

Two Bozac speakers for sale by owner.
Walnut cabinets - 18" wide x 32" high x 12" deep
3-way stereo speakers, 10" woofer, 5" midrange, dual 2" tweeters
Excellent condition.

$200 for both speakers OBO.

Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you!

attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Bozak Ported 302a pic1.jpg
    Bozak Ported 302a pic1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Bozak Ported 302a pic2.jpg
    Bozak Ported 302a pic2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 271
Thanks tensleep.
These are 10 minutes away but I have enough speakers for now.

The 'OBO' part may tempt some local Akers..
(How about you elgato? :yes:)
 
The 'OBO' part may tempt some local Akers..
(How about you elgato? :yes:)

Huh???:banana::banana::banana:

In all seriousness though. I've actually seen a pair of these when I was at the Salvation Army a while back. The ones I saw were trashed and painted blue but I will tell you this about them... They are A LOT bigger than they look in the picture. They're heavy as hell too. Also the woofers that are in them are 12 inch and not 10 inch if they're the same ones that I saw which I'm fairly sure they are.
 
Bozaks

Hi,
I have two sets of Bozaks, I think the 302's and 305's.
The 305's have one more woofer and two more tweeters. The 302's were the budget ones without the mids but I put the aluminum 8" mids and redid the crossovers and they sound great. I think someone built these, not factory?
My guess. I agree $200.00 is a good price, not a give away but fair enough.

Brian
 
The 302's were the budget ones without the mids but I put the aluminum 8" mids

The 302 system does include the B209 midrange driver, which is a 5" driver, not an 8" driver.

I would love to hear a set of 305 someday.
 
Bozaks

Hi,
I guess I meant to say I have the b-300's. This was the same as the B-300A's
but without the mid range speaker. It had the hole cut but covered with a wooden plate. The idea as expressed in the brochure is that you can get this cheaper and always ad the Mid when you could afford it going from a two way to a three way. Thats explained on page six of the catalog. I have the Urban style in both the B-300's and my B-305's. I am amping the 300's with a Mac 275
and the 305's with a Phase Linear 400. both pre-amped with a Mac 110
Brian
 
Hi,
I guess I meant to say I have the b-300's. This was the same as the B-300A's
but without the mid range speaker. It had the hole cut but covered with a wooden plate. The idea as expressed in the brochure is that you can get this cheaper and always ad the Mid when you could afford it going from a two way to a three way. Thats explained on page six of the catalog. I have the Urban style in both the B-300's and my B-305's. I am amping the 300's with a Mac 275
and the 305's with a Phase Linear 400. both pre-amped with a Mac 110
Brian

Sweet! I'll bet they sound great. Pictures sometime?
 
THe ad has "Bozac" in it and the title. I do not know about Bozaks but based on the spelling could these just be a knock off?
 
THe ad has "Bozac" in it and the title. I do not know about Bozaks but based on the spelling could these just be a knock off?

I believe the spelling is just a typo. The drivers in the pictures are definitely Bozak drivers. Just the cabinet is unusual, being a ported design and loaded with a 302 system.
 
Sweet! I'll bet they sound great. Pictures sometime?

They do sound sweet...I stole a pair of near mint B-312's (2-way) and switched out the crossovers (Tobinized) to the three-way setup and added the aluminum cone mids (by pulling the wood plate over the mid-hole). They sing :music:, though the bottom end is a little weak when unfairly compared to the B-4000's or the B-302A's.

The speakers pictured just bothers me....porting a Bozak system is just wrong, on many levels. These had to be made when Rudy was relegated to a corner or he was already occupying his place in heaven. I hope it was the later, rather than the former. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind having the drivers out of those speakers!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom