• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which components to replace, Klipsch KG 4.2 recap?

Corbin Gross

Lost in Translation
Hey guys. I've got a pair of KG 4.2 speakers to recap. I've done plenty of recaps before, but the capacitors on this crossover are a little different.

There's one that's the typical looking electrolytic, but there are two or three others that I'm not sure.

So the Green 33uf cap is easy. But there's a Blue 2.5uf, a Yellow 3uf, and is that tiny, orange, disc-shaped thingy a capacitor too?

Do the Blue and Yellow caps need to be replaced? I've read that some of the old oil or film caps don't need replacing, but I'm not skilled enough to identify them.

Thanks for the help, all.
 

Attachments

  • Klipsch KG4.2 Crossover.jpg
    Klipsch KG4.2 Crossover.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 95
Register to hide this ad
The green 33uf is a standard 'lytic. Change that to this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dmpc-33-33uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-441

Not sure about the blue 2.5uf. Might be a PP, but it's cheap enough to swap out. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dmpc-33-33uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-420. It's close enough in value with a +/- 5%.

The yellow 3uf IS a Poly cap. No need to change it.

The ceramic disk is fine. Leave it in place.

If you can see the values for the resistors, you might want to change them to Mills. Be advised tho, the standard resistors will mount differently. With some extra wire and hot-glue, it shouldn't be that much of a problem mounting them on the board.

Here's the resistor page: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/non-inductive-resistors/1537

Good Luck.
Have Fun.
 
Thanks, guys.

try1256, the Crites kit is a little expensive for me. I'm sure it's tip top quality components, but I'm looking to spend about 1/4 of that amount of money.

cablephil212, would this

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dmpc-22-22uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-415

or this

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dmpc-27-27uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-416

be a better replacement for the 2.5uf?

Hey Corbin.

I'm having a hard time with the PE website. It seems to be having a problem. It will come up, but I can't seem to look for anything on the site. All I keep getting is an Error message.

Their site is sooo bad to navigate, I'm to the point of not using them anymore. I've informed them about this, but it seems nobody cares enough to fix it.

I'll keep trying to get the links to work, and if they do, I'll post back.
 
OOPS. :rolleyes: Sorry. :bash:

I pasted the wrong link. :scratch2: Yes, the #027-416 is the one I would use. Again, sorry for the confusion. Glad you caught that.

Are you going to replace the resistors? I don't know how much of an impact they make on the overall design in the circuit, but since you have it out .....

I would think they are in the tweeter section, so it might be a good upgrade to replace them with higher quality ones.

Just my .02 cents. It's your time and money.

Have fun. Phil
 
I recapped my KG 4.2s along with some other enhancements. Shortly after I bought some speakers I like better and now they don't get any play time. :sigh:

I replaced the electrolytic with a Mundorf electrolytic and the other two caps with Solen Fast Caps.

IMG_2096_zps9126e536.jpg


IMG_2095_zps8f27fef1.jpg
 
Thanks for the help, guys. I ordered 2x 33uf and 2x 2.7uf. I plan to leave the 3uf where it is.

I'm really just doing maintenance, not so much looking for an upgrade, so I'm sure these will do just fine.
 
I replaced the 3 uf also, yours might be just fine but it's only a couple bucks unless you're using boutique caps. Mine had pretty constant use for about 20 years so I figured everything had been through the wringer.

I'd like to change the horn diaphragms for Crites, everyone seems to like them, but I can say that recapping them opened up the top end with some new sparkle so I'm glad I did it.
 
Back
Top Bottom