• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Which Infinity models are the most capable

tomlinmgt

Lunatic Member
When I say "capable" I mean to ask which models seem to reproduce all types of music well above average. And actually I'd be interested in knowing which models in particular are exceptional at rock, but keeping in mind that I'm not looking for a one trick pony. I'm talking Cerwin Vega or JBL type bass with the mid range and top end refinement of Dahlquist or Vandersteen. I'm finding my Studio Reference Monitors to be very, very good at rock, jazz, acoustic, and blues. Haven't tried out classical or vocal, but I'm sure they'd do well with those also. Just has me wondering what I should be on the lookout for if I want to take it to the next level as I'm quite impressed with my Infinities.
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, I can only speak from the models I personally own...although I've heard other series/models. I have a pair of Quantum 3's and RS-IIIa's and both play about anything I throw to them. My musical tastes will range from Megadeath to Allison Krauss to Diana Krall to Black Label Society to Jamie Johnson to Alter Bridge and on and on. I'm in agreement with you about the one trick pony....my speakers have to cover a variety of music for me to want to keep them. I've gotten rid of a lot of speakers that members here love and probably think I'm crazy for doing so. But, to each their own as we all hear differently.
 
I can give you a little input of what music I think is better suited on a few different models of Infinity's. I don't have any of the small models of Infinity's other than one pair of QLS-5's which I have very little listening time on. But on the larger models I can give you my opinion. Kappa 9's are pretty good with rock music, pop, and heavy metal. QLS-1's have great bass, mids, and a little more refined on the high's, just as the QLS-2's. Don't get me wrong they sound very good with the rock and heavy metal, but they shine on classical, strings, and vocals. I really like their sound with violins and cellos, and solo female artist, including a quite a few pop recordings. I love the way they reproduce Aliason Krauss, since you mention her name, and they are very good with the likes of enya, Loreen Mckennett, Shakira, and most female artist. They are really good with opera as well, Renee Flemming, Anna Netrebko, Angela Gheorghiu, to name a few. And they really shine with violins and female voices, Lucia Micarelli, Vanessa Mae, Ikuko Kawai, AVassilis Tsabropoulos, Kim Kashkashian, the last being two cello favorites of mine. Some heavy metal is good as well, mainly the Finns and Norway bands of Sirenia, Within Temptation, Leaving Eyes, and nothing better than the crossover of pop and opera of Shara Brightman.

The RS-1b's sound great with all types IMO as they can really play loud music great and still play soloist good, but I would say they are a little less good at playing quite solo music as well. They still shine with strings, brass, and percussion instruments, but they really excell with powerful passages. They can reproduce a very large soundstage and they can play very loud passages so good it is sometimes scary, I can only imagine a pair of Betta's or IRS.

As far as older rock which I grew up with, I find it somewhat lacking, IMO older recording lack complexity and details that more complex recording mixing of new music. I know some people might argue this matter, but when I listen to my older recordings on records of groups like Led Zepplin, Jetho Tull, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Beatles, Doors, Bob Dylan, and lots of Classical recordings they just seem to lack so much over newer recordings.
 
Last edited:
"As far as older rock which I grew up with, I find it somewhat lacking, IMO older recording lack complexity and details that more complex recording mixing of new music. I know some people might argue this matter, but when I listen to my older recordings on records of groups like Led Zepplin, Jetho Tull, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Beatles, Doors, Bob Dylan, and lots of Classical recordings they just seem to lack so much over newer recordings."

Dark Side of the Moon lacks complexity and detail? Actually, I get what you're saying. I'm a musician (drummer) and newer recordings can be more revealing, no doubt. I mean, even DSOTM was only, what, 4 channel?

And thanks for the run down. Great info.
 
I find my QLS1s to be extremely good with music that has alot of bass and or treble
The Watkins woofer and the Emits just seem to have something extra that I dont hear on some speakers. Especially upper range detail, Of course it doesnt hurt that they have multiple drivers, and that may very well be one of the reasons they shine in that regard.
I may get flamed for this but I dont find the Mids to sound much better than my newer Infinitys (primus 362s) Wich are Tiny by comparison.

I dont really listen to Rock much on the QLS1s because my home isnt large enough to really crank them up.:D:D

For some reason Ive always felt I should go easy on them, Maybe its the cost of repairs. Anyway like most Infinity's they sound outstanding on Acoustics and Vocals. I can say that about my Newer Infinity's also.
But the detail on the Quantums is Special to my ears.
 
I find my QLS1s to be extremely good with music that has alot of bass and or treble
The Watkins woofer and the Emits just seem to have something extra that I dont hear on some speakers. Especially upper range detail, Of course it doesnt hurt that they have multiple drivers, and that may very well be one of the reasons they shine in that regard.
I may get flamed for this but I dont find the Mids to sound much better than my newer Infinitys (primus 362s) Wich are Tiny by comparison.

I dont really listen to Rock much on the QLS1s because my home isnt large enough to really crank them up.:D:D

For some reason Ive always felt I should go easy on them, Maybe its the cost of repairs. Anyway like most Infinity's they sound outstanding on Acoustics and Vocals. I can say that about my Newer Infinity's also.
But the detail on the Quantums is Special to my ears.

The high energy emim mid ranges in the renaissance series speakers and IRS omega, IRS sigma and IRS epsilon series speakers sounds very good, i agree with you in that the emits sound unbelievable, love the watkins woofers too..
 
if you can find a good pair of monitor JRs, you will have down to 30Hz capability and excellent imaging and high end extension.

i had a pair that i was selling to a friend. i was playing the wrong kind of music for him (jazz) and he was non-plussed. THEN i put on 'we will rock you' by queen and he quickly coughed up the cash.

i actually miss them although i mhad moved on with rogers LS3/5As and using the JRs as subs for a while. they work best on stands of about 12-16" and made classical, jazz and rock osund as they should.
 
I might have a line on some 2.5 RS's. What's the verdict on this model wrt versatility? I see they are power hungry. I have a modded Hafler 500, Onkyo M-504, Kenwood M2 Sigma, and Denon POA-1500. I would think I could make a pair of these happy with some combination of those amps in a bi-amp configuration....right?
 
My listening is mostly classic rock, 50's and 60's jazz, and large scale symphonic type music. My RS IIs never fail to deliver.
 
Aren't the RS II's different speakers than the RS 2.5's? The speakers I have available to me are the RS 2.5's. Anyone have any experience with these and what I can expect pushing them with the amps I listed? They are several hours away but if they will take me to the next level compared to what I've been using (JBL L100T3, Polk SDA-1C, EV Interface C) then I'd certainly be willing to make the trip...but would like a little background on them first.
 
go to http://www.infinity-classics.de/

Aren't the RS II's different speakers than the RS 2.5's? The speakers I have available to me are the RS 2.5's. Anyone have any experience with these and what I can expect pushing them with the amps I listed? They are several hours away but if they will take me to the next level compared to what I've been using (JBL L100T3, Polk SDA-1C, EV Interface C) then I'd certainly be willing to make the trip...but would like a little background on them first.
look up both speakers they are quite different, I can't comment of RS2.5 never heard them.
 
Last edited:
after you look at references below note

Aren't the RS II's different speakers than the RS 2.5's? The speakers I have available to me are the RS 2.5's. Anyone have any experience with these and what I can expect pushing them with the amps I listed? They are several hours away but if they will take me to the next level compared to what I've been using (JBL L100T3, Polk SDA-1C, EV Interface C) then I'd certainly be willing to make the trip...but would like a little background on them first.
that 2.5 use watkins dual speakers
i would suggest you need lots of clean power.
 
I am hesitant in recommending the RS 2.5's or any speaker for that matter, individual taste varies widely.

That being said, I do own a pair and will give you my impression of them.
Mine have had some crossover work done so they might differ compared to a stock pair.
What you put in is what you get out, they are an accurate
speaker. The highs are very good and some might feel a little hot depending on the room. Mids are good with a little weakness when transitioning to the lower end.
The Watkins 12 inch can go very low and be clean sounding at the same time.

As far as being Hard to drive, that is a bit of a myth. These are not the 4.5's. Yes the Watkins needs
a stout amp, preferably with plenty of watts 200 or so @ 8 and decent numbers @ 4 ohms.
The mids and top end can be driven by tube's lower power or by a good solid state, MOSFET works well. I have had the best results by horizontal bi-amping.

As to will you like their sound compared to your other speakers and the music you like, I really don't know.
 
Generally, you can get the 2.5's for 1/2 of what you can get a pair of RSIIb's. RSII's however can go for about the same as the 2.5's. I have owned alot of Infinities and of them all these I have kept the longest. I have 2 pairs and they are the surrounds in a 7.1 system.

Since they are an older model you need to be aware that they may need some refurbishing. They are excellent rock speakers. As totem mentioned, they go deep and can issue that whack of clean bass. I used a Kenwood M2 amp on them for years. Worked great in a mid sized room and played rock, jazz and minimal classical music through them. Then I went to a home theater setup. The amp couldn't handle the loud lower frequencies and blew one of my woofers. That got me to looking into other Infinities. Kappa 9.1's, RSIIb's, Ren 90's and a whole bunch of smaller size models. Even PSB and Klipsch. Settled on the 4.5's for the front. I would recommend a high current amp more than a high wattage amp. Horizontal bi-amping was good on them as well, although I vertical bi-amp my 4.5's.

Totem hit the sound pretty well, there is a lower midrange loss, but they just do the music in total so well. And they are great rock speakers. Cleaner the better.

They are heavy but they don't really need to be critically positioned. I suspect that I will never be without at least 1 pair of 2.5's.
 
I have been listening to 2.5s for a month or 2 now. I cant say that I hear the lower mid weakness but certainly know they are very revealing - Rolling stones now sound like a garage band on some recodings! sitting back and listening with eyes closed is amazing.
I have just purchased a set of RS4.5 (fortunately only 300 miles of transport required) and I am looking forward to hearing the larger brothers :-). m pretty sure these will be quite rare in Australia and possibly unique down here in Tasmania.
Im Running a single NAD218thx so Im hoping this will be sufficient for a listening area that is not so large. But I do have a separate NAD 2700 THX if biamping is required.

The only problem is that I am rapidly running out of spacein my room downstairs.
 
Back
Top Bottom