• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which is considered Sansui's best sounding NO frills Amp/Receiver ?

SixCats!

Super Member
Hi all,

I was just wondering, which BASIC, NO FRILLS Sansui Integrated Amp/Power Amp and/or Receiver is a good sounding unit. I once owned a BIG Sansui Quad unit QRX 7001 which I ran in Stereo only. If memory serves, in Stereo mode, this unit produced about 25 Watts per channel. I have to say, of all the Solid State Amps I owned over the years, the Sansui was THE best sounding Amp of the lot (including ACCUPHASE). I no longer have the 7001 and I sure did hate moving/lifting this BEAST of a Receiver which weight in over fifty pounds if I recall correctly. That being said, I wold love to find a nice example of a simple low to mid power Sansui Amp that has the same sweeeet sound as my old 7001. I mostly have VERY efficient Speakers so, low Watts is not a problem. Recommendations please. Thanks all.

Regards,
SixCats!
 
Register to hide this ad
AU-517,717,519,719

All dual mono integrated amps with conservative design and features but outstanding sound and build quality.
 
Thanks kahlfin. Dual mono eh ? Nice. I once had a dual mono HK which was also one of the best sounding receivers I owned. I guess the dual mono design is a good thing!

SixCats!
 
I can attest to the 555a for its warmth and soundstage. But the 117 and 217 I have will give you more clarity and natural sound with great details. So.... Which to pick? :) that au 101 is also warm but the 555a has a better soundstage going by my examples.
 
My heavily modded AU7900 has put many others to shame. I have owned many Sansui receivers (still have several in current use), sold all except the Seven Deluxe, and a couple of G-3000 (sucker for the gold face).
 
Hi Milke,

What actually do you modded?? I also have a sansui au 7900 and i i find it a very special amplifier too.
 
Last edited:
Too many to choose from. Here are my favorite no frill pieces. Sansui AU 777a, 555a, Eight. The 777a is possibly the best sounding Sansui amp I've heard
 
Last edited:
Overall -- I'd have to pick the AU-111.
The AU-717 is a way nicer than average massmarket soiled state amplifier.
 
The tricky part is the BASIC NO FRILL part. So if I can´t go fancy, I'd have to say the 505 for its liquid mid and nice low end. You get an awful lot for its 23 watt rating.

My favorite is the 777a, though - but it has more bells and whistles including, balance check and a six-pack of attenuated tone controls, it is however a very simple late sixties single supply cap coupled design.

The Eight, 517 are great amps too, but way more complex.
 
. . . I was just wondering, which BASIC, NO FRILLS Sansui Integrated Amp/Power Amp and/or Receiver is a good sounding unit. . . . about 25 Watts per channel. . . . I wold love to find a nice example of a simple low to mid power Sansui Amp that has the same sweeeet sound as my old 7001. I mostly have VERY efficient Speakers so, low Watts is not a problem. . . .

My experience with Sansui amps is limited, and I've never heard a 7001, but I would say the AU-555A, one of which I have owned and enjoyed daily for about 6 months, might fit the bill. It has a simple cap-coupled design, 25 watts out, drives my two-way bookshelves without problems, and sounds great to my ears and brain. Nice, warm sound that cap-coupled units are known for. Big, open, three dimensional soundstage. The build quality is top notch, and if you're inclined toward do-it-yourself, it's a breeze to work on.

Just my two cents.
 
I have heard

AU-505
AU-555A
AU-666
AU-517
AU-719

And apart from the 517 I'm love with all of them.

The 719 needed a full rebuild (in fact a rerebuild, since the first rebuild was done badly) before it came to its right, the 517 has not (yet) been rebuilt, but I'm rather sure it will be on par with the 719 once done.

TwoCats!
 
With the description 'no frills' I have heard:-

1000X :)
AU-317 x2
AU-505
AU-517 x2
AU-717
AU-719 x3
AU-D9 x2
AU-D11 II
AU-D101
AU-X701

They are all different - there are as many answers to the OP's question as there are model numbers :)
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

Thank you for all the excellent suggestions. Yikes.....I never realized that Sansui has sooooooo many models! I also had (and sold) a Sansui AU666 (Mark of the Beast) Amp. I found it a bit warm sounding for my liking (sort of Marantz like). I don't know if this was due to age or not. It was an all original unit. I'm trying to find that place were I can "have my Cake and Eat it to" sound. That is to say.....Warmth/Fatness with detail. I'm not sure if such a Amp exist. I want to find the same sound in a TUBE Amp.

SixCats!
 
Only some mentioned here, there are more :)

I recapped a friends Au-777 (and skippy fitted a volume pot into it as the old one was faulty)

After the work it had what you ask, it was warm and full but very detailed and resolving.

For the same sound as a tube amp, get a tube amp, but they all sound different so then it depends on what tube amp sound you want.
 
Last edited:
For a low budget amp, I vote the AU-517. Listening to it you'd think you had a AU-919, just less power.
For receiver, the Model Eight and Eight Deluxe are great sounding receivers. For the best sound on a budget, any of the G series receivers. The higher the number the better the tuner and amp will be. G-7000, G-7500 are good value.
If you are handy and want great sound and a fantastic tuner on a budget, get a 3000A and restore it.
 
Back
Top Bottom