• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which is the better keeper - Technics SL-Q2 or Thorens TD 145 (?)

ByChance

New Member
I recently purchased a Technics SL-Q2 as my rebirth into vinyl. I've been enjoying it for a little over a year. I just found my self in possession of a Thorens TD 145 that will need some work and parts. I've loved vinyl since the 80's, but I have never been deep into turntables or electronics. I love the SL-Q2 and I've realized what I have been missing for 45+ years....

Is it possible that if the Thorens TD 145 was restored that it would/could sound better?

I am trying to decide if I should pass the Thorens on to another owner, or restore it and pass the Technics on to a new owner.
I'm grateful for your input.
 
Register to hide this ad
A suspended belt drive deck like the THORENS has a completely different sound to the direct-drive, unsuspended TECHNICS.

I recommend that you find your way to hearing a fully fettled suspended deck, before deciding which deck to keep.

Personally, I would opt for the THORENS, but be aware that compared to the TECHNICS, the THORENS will probably take a lot more DIY involvement to get it sounding it's best.

How confident are you about getting under the hood and understanding how the THORENS works? This question should be a big part of your considerations.

image_e27c40b4-a67f-428b-b157-11b2653b0206_1296x.heic
 
I'm also inclined to say the Thorens, but your specific environment will affect that quite a lot. Are your floors really good and solid? If they are not, you may find you hate the suspended table. My TD-160 (same as a 145, but no auto-lift) sat un used and unusable for years because the upstairs floor in my house is basically a trampoline, and the old plaster walls were just too annoying to deal with when it comes to mounting a wall shelf. My 13 lb dog walking across the floor was enough to sent it into bouncing fits and throw the arm around. I'm now in a different space that has a concrete floor and it works absolutely fine. I could hire a troupe of dancing hippos to put on a show out here and it wouldn't skip a beat.
 
How confident are you about getting under the hood and understanding how the THORENS works? This question should be a big part of your considerations.

I am not very confident...
I have located 2 places within 50 mins that repair/restore turntables. I would probably have to pay to have it restored.

Although, as I type this, I am starting to think, YOLO.
I am very happy with the Technics. Why not attempt to restore it myself. I will need to find more than the basic users manual I have. I know it is missing deck the records sit on. I have identified a broken plastic piece. I have a small container of screws (and other oddities) in the box...

@Sondek, that is one beautiful TT!
 
I came from a Thorens TD145mk2 over Dual direct drives and am now in Technics camp.
I would never go back to the Thorens again.
People liking a vintage phono sound (ahhh the good old times) will enjoy an old Thorens, but when you are after a neutral, precise sound (closer to a CD - in the best way) then a good quarz controlled direct drive is for you!
 
I've got an old suspended belt drive Fons turntable, similar principle to the Thorens. I set it up right when I got it probably 15 years ago and haven't had to adjust or tinker with it since then. Old turntables aren't that unreliable.
 
A decade ago I went from a Technics SL-220 belt drive to a Thorens TD160 (and later a 145 - they sounded virtually identical) and found the Thorens had this much better sound in almost every way. Dynamics, detail, speed accuracy, quiet background.
That was a BOTL Technics deck; since then I have added DDs Teckies, and now use an SL-D2 and SL-6 in the bedroom. I find Technics sound very neutral, with good specs, but are a bit more ‘polite’ than my main decks (modded Lenco with Grace arm, Mission 775S with Rega arm, Denon DD with electronic arm damping).
The main reason I got rid of my Thorens is that there was a very soft hum, either with the motor off or on,depending on which way you plugged it in. People said the arms need rewiring, but that is one job that seems too finicky for me.
 
I am trying to decide if I should pass the Thorens on to another owner, or restore it and pass the Technics on to a new owner.
I would advise you to keep both, you may find after some time that you appreciate each one in different ways.

There are no absolutes in audio, especially when vinyl playback is involved. There are way too many variables to say with certainty that one turntable is better than the other.

You already have them which is half the battle. Restore and listen to them before you make a decision.
 
Last edited:
I have to thank you all.

Coming of age in the 80's, I have vast experience of listening to music on vinyl. I have spent countless hours listening to records.

I think what I have learned here is that there is a much deeper appreciation for music, or sounds than I have explored. In reading this thread and a handful of others, this group has details and opinions of aspects that I was not aware existed.

In the early 80's I had a standard Kenwood component system. A pretty fat stereo for a 16 year old. I thought I was at the top of the game then. Now it is clear, I had just barely gotten into the game.

I need to train myself to hear the details I am reading about here.

I think I will roll with @malden 's advice.
I would advise you to keep both, you may find after some time that you appreciate each one in different ways.

First, I have to learn and understand these different ways...

Thank you everyone.
Please feel free to continue your thoughts here. I am all ears!
 
I have no experience with either of these models but if I had to choose one blindly I would go with the Technics. If I had both like you have, I would service the Thorens, spend time with both and see which I like best. Or if I like both. Having two turntables it's a nice small luxury, I always liked the idea.
 
I have no experience with either of these models but if I had to choose one blindly I would go with the Technics. If I had both like you have, I would service the Thorens, spend time with both and see which I like best. Or if I like both. Having two turntables it's a nice small luxury, I always liked the idea.
Yes, more is better ! I have four, and each is different. The OP is wise to keep both and enjoy them for what they are. It is fun to mix and match components until you get the right mix. Currently have the Sl-1200GR2 with Schiit Freya+preamp, Skoll phono amp, and Tyr mono block amps and Monitor Audio Silver 500 speakers - sonic nirvana. My old Marantz 6200 is in the office with my Rega P3 based Azure table both with Schiit Freya+ preamp, Pro-ject Tube Box DS2 phono amp, Parasound A21+ amp and ancient infinity RS4b speakers- sound is delicious ! I also have a Rega P3 50th Anniversay Edition in the bedroom- sound is MEH
 
Last edited:
I have to thank you all.

Coming of age in the 80's, I have vast experience of listening to music on vinyl. I have spent countless hours listening to records.

I think what I have learned here is that there is a much deeper appreciation for music, or sounds than I have explored. In reading this thread and a handful of others, this group has details and opinions of aspects that I was not aware existed.

In the early 80's I had a standard Kenwood component system. A pretty fat stereo for a 16 year old. I thought I was at the top of the game then. Now it is clear, I had just barely gotten into the game.

I need to train myself to hear the details I am reading about here.

I think I will roll with @malden 's advice.


First, I have to learn and understand these different ways...

Thank you everyone.
Please feel free to continue your thoughts here. I am all ears!

And since you have decent examples of belt drive and direct drive, you need to add a good idler drive to the mix (did I hear someone say Lenco?) ;) :rockon::banana:

For $20 these isolation feet improve the performance of most stock turntables. Place them under a heavy board and put your table on top of this.

 
The problem with having two turntables is that they will reproduce, and before you know if you're sitting in a room with 5, and have several more in various places that still have flat surfaces to park them on.

I don't care for turntables with electronics in them. My concern is unobtainable components that will fail. I can fix an AC mains powered motor. Everything I own at this point is either belt or idler drive running a regular old 120v motor. The Rek-O-Kut even has a spare motor that came with it, so it should be good for a lot longer than I'm going to be around.
 
The problem with having two turntables is that they will reproduce, and before you know if you're sitting in a room with 5,
They only reproduce within their breeds...... a belt-drive won't mate with an idler or d-d

now, if you have two of one breed, that's a different story. To be safe, I keep my belt drives in separate rooms since they seem to be the most promiscuous.

Idler-drives on the other hand are old and need some coaxing to get going, I don't worry about them reproducing. They're happy with a warm glass of bearing oil
 
Last edited:
in my case, a few months or years
For turntables and cartridges it is pretty easy since a couple/few are hooked up. but amps take seasonal changes, preamp, not changing that much and speakers, gonna need help moving all the stuff around for the change to fit the room. but yes, sometimes months or years.
 
Last edited:
They only reproduce within their breeds...... a belt-drive won't mate with an idler or d-d

now, if you have two of one breed, that's a different story. To be safe, I keep my belt drives in separate rooms since they seem to be the most promiscuous.

Idler-drives on the other hand are old and need some coaxing to get going, I don't worry about them reproducing. They're happy with a warm glass of bearing oil
I do technically have a second belt drive, a cheap linear tracker someone gave me. Its in the process of being rehomed into a 1940 radio to replace the 78 changer. Its not that its ideal, but its free and fits with no modifications. Keeping the 78 changer but its not getting restored.

All the rest are idlers and all but one are Garrard changers.
 
Back
Top Bottom