• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which Marantz for this newbie?

cnj

New Member
Hello. Newbie here. I am new to the whole vintage audio thing, so I apologize for my uneducated question. Currently, I have an Onkyo T-4 tuner, Onkyo T-9 tuner, Realistic STA-85 (minty condition receiver) and just picked up a Kenwood KR-6600 receiver, which I am thrilled with. I'll be selling the Onkyos, as the tuner only thing just isn't for me. I would like to add a Marantz receiver to my small collection, but there are sooooo many models......is there a model(s) that will perform similar to my Kenwood (warmth and bright highs as well) and have stunning good looks as well? Are there models to avoid as well? I have no technical electronics background, so I am limited to cleaning and lamp replacement capabilities only.
Thank you in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
I like the later series, like the 2252B. There are a couple of caveats regarding your wish.

The Marantz pieces command a premium price for 'brand cachet', especially over the under-appreciated Kenwood. My 2252B is essentially the same power level as your KR-6600. Are you looking for more power? The price goes up substantially as power goes up. And, at their age, most need work, if it hasn't been done already. So, buy a unit already worked on, and pay the higher price, or buy low, and prepare to pay to have the work done. There are many people, here, trusted for both the quality of their work, and their business practices. Neither are they cheap, nor are they idle. Be prepared to wait for the top performers. Pros are always busy, and there is an excellent reason why, but it's worth the time and the money.

I think that many Kenwood pieces are equal to, or better than the sound of many Marantz units. There are some iconic Marantz receivers, but this status makes them even more expensive than other models in the lineup. For sound, I often prefer the smaller receivers, like the 2230, or 2238B.

Then again, there is a certain rush to be had, when tapping into a powerhouse, like the 2385 or 2500/2600. Now you are getting into very long green. Think multi-kilodollars

Still, for some, that is part of the thrill of that section of the hobby.

Good luck in your quest.
 
Hello. Newbie here. I am new to the whole vintage audio thing, so I apologize for my uneducated question. Currently, I have an Onkyo T-4 tuner, Onkyo T-9 tuner, Realistic STA-85 (minty condition receiver) and just picked up a Kenwood KR-6600 receiver, which I am thrilled with. I'll be selling the Onkyos, as the tuner only thing just isn't for me. I would like to add a Marantz receiver to my small collection, but there are sooooo many models......is there a model(s) that will perform similar to my Kenwood (warmth and bright highs as well) and have stunning good looks as well? Are there models to avoid as well? I have no technical electronics background, so I am limited to cleaning and lamp replacement capabilities only.
Thank you in advance!

I second this^^^^ suggestion. 2252B, 2238B or 2265B. I LOVE the looks of the B-series Blue dial... They are going to be pricey to get into tip top shape, but worth it. Now the thing to consider is, is moving to Marantz from Kenwood going to be noticeable in sound? That is an almost metaphysical / marketing question that only you can answer... and this abyss is where personal truths differ.
Good luck with your hunt, or if you decide not to hunt, good luck with contentment.
 
Just for some balance, I'm partial to the pre-B models -- 2230, 2245, 2270. The 2245 hits a sweet spot for me between price and power. As for sound, only a listen will tell how it sounds to your ears. But I have never heard a bad sounding Marantz (or Kenwood for that matter) if it was operating properly into properly matched speakers. Good luck with your search!
 
I also love the 22xxB series. I have a 2265B and it is gorgeous.
Your choice depends a lot on your budget so you will need to decide that first.

Another great choice would be the 2270 which is probably the most produced of the marantz receivers and really is the classic marantz.
 
I have a 2230, 2245, 2252b and a 2270. The go to for me is the 2245. I feel the music with this receiver. I also have a stack of Mcintosh gear ran through some vintage Altec 604e's. Had some of my Mc gear out for repair. I substituted the 2245 in and was pleased with it as a backup.
 
Lower power range 2252b, 2250, 2245
Mid power range 2270, 2275, 2285b, 2265b
Upper power 2325, 2330b
The even more powerful 2385, 2500 & 2600 are for the collectors with some serious coin and shelf space. Obviously budget will determine your selection. Any of these models are excellent choices. If you buy models below these units you probably will want to step back up in about 3 months because you caught the Marantz fever like so many of us.

My personal suggestion from this list would be the 2270, 2275 or the 2285b. Out of these 3 they are close in features but all different in looks. The 2270 is not quite as good in the fm section as the 2275 & 2285b because the 2275 and 2285b were its replacement models.

Good luck with your selection!!!
 
What are your speakers rated for?? RMS Watts

What is your budget??
$300-$500
$500- $800
$800-1200
More?? Damn.:biggrin:
 
What are your speakers rated for?? RMS Watts

What is your budget??
$300-$500
$500- $800
$800-1200
More?? Damn.:biggrin:

- Speakers are freshly re-foamed Hughes ORB1 (yes, they are oddball, but I like them), and I have had them for ~20 years, so I do not remember the specs. They are bookshelf sized speakers with 5" woofers, so I am thinking 25-60 watts RMS per channel is more than enough.
- Budget is undetermined at this point, but I think $300-400 should be more than enough to buy a solid, lower powered Marantz in good shape.
- The unit must have phono and aux inputs.
- No oddball or low volume or very high end units need apply.
 
With your budget, you are talking about a 2230, 2238 or possibly a 2245 or the equivalent B models. Any of those should work great with your speakers.
 
I agree that once you get your first you will be looking for another pretty soon. I started with a 2230 and it was fantastic. Seams these are "coupled" different than others and have a slightly different sound. ( maybe some one with more knowledge could expound on this).

I ended up with a couple others and then found a 2250b and just love it. The power is all I would need and I have a sub that I haven't even hooked up since the bass is so sweet and solid. I payed $200 for mine with a recapped power board.

Definitely the beginning of the powerful ones for reasonable money. I also like the larger black plastic area that includes the push buttons.

Let the fun begin.
 
Back
Top Bottom