• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which of these 2 cartridges would be best suited for my Philips GA-312 tonearm (specs inside)?

Hi Fraga,

I happen to understand Spanish and Portuguese as well. Yes, effective MOVING mass is quoted as 18g and, by looking at the GA-312, it's highly likely that they are including the cartridge weight into this calculation. Because by itself this tonearm probably has less than 12g, this is a light (and short) tonearm.

I advise you not to worry about these figures and just try an AT-VM95C. It is very cheap and matches OK with many tonearms. And it sounds very nice!

Later if you can source a Philips 401 or 4XX cartridge with its ORIGINAL stylus, it would be a perfect match and is a very good sounding cartridge.
Hello Flavio! Why do you suggest the AT-VM95C instead of the VM95ML? I would like to know more. Thanks!
 
Had an AT VM540ML on a SME 3009 Improved II tonearm with 7 gram arm mass. Sounded nice! I would get the VM530EN cartridge with elliptical stylus for your Philips turntable. The 540ML with it's Microline stylus needs precise VTA adjustment. Would only recommend for tonearm with adjustable VTA. With wrong VTA the Microline stylus sounds bright and edgy sounding! Elliptical less forgiving.
I have 3D printed an alignment jig for the Philips GA (found the blueprint online). It's my understanding that when the turntable was originally sold it came with this jig. Unfortunately, I believe the Philips GA-312 does not allow VTA adjustments (as in, changing the height of the tonearm). Will precise-adjustment with the jig suffice in this case, or would it be kind of risky (risky meaning that I would not be able to set it up properly)?
 
Last edited:
One other thing that I forgot to add (that by reading your replies I think it is important to say): the specs of my receiver. It is a Gradiente Model 80. Will the impedance (or other setting) on this thing possibly affect the sound if I go with a microline stylus such as the VM95ML or VM540ML? Thank you so much everyone, I am learning a lot :)
1698407790570.png
 
Hello Flavio! Why do you suggest the AT-VM95C instead of the VM95ML? I would like to know more. Thanks!

The C is cheap and sounds just fine, and I'm afraid the tonearm on the Philips won't really extract the best potential of the ML stylus. However if you want to spend more money go for the ML.

I have tried and compared the VM95ML and the VM95C on the same tonearm ( a rega RB330), the ML is better but the better value is on the C (conical) stylus, given the price difference.
 
One other thing that I forgot to add (that by reading your replies I think it is important to say): the specs of my receiver. It is a Gradiente Model 80. Will the impedance (or other setting) on this thing possibly affect the sound if I go with a microline stylus such as the VM95ML or VM540ML? Thank you so much everyone, I am learning a lot :)

No, it's a normal, common amplifier.
 
I have 3D printed an alignment jig for the Philips GA (found the blueprint online). It's my understanding that when the turntable was originally sold it came with this jig. Unfortunately, I believe the Philips GA-312 does not allow VTA adjustments (as in, changing the height of the tonearm). Will precise-adjustment with the jig suffice in this case, or would it be kind of risky (risky meaning that I would not be able to set it up properly)?
It's amazing what those 3D printers can do! :thumbsup: My brother in law has one and he makes stuff for my sister all the time. ;)
 
Hello everyone! Sorry for ressurrecting this thread, but I just wanted to provide some closure :)

From the 2 cartridges that I was looking at, I ended up going with the relatively cheaper AT-VM95ML, not only because of the price but because of the fact that it seemed to be easier to set up. By having the Philips GA alignment jig 3D printed, it was actually pretty easy to have it aligned, and I couldn't be happier with the sound it is giving me. It was like hearing some of the albums for the first time, especially since I was used to an Ortofon 2m Red.

If you are a person who has a Philips GA turntable and has come across this topic when looking for the AT-VM95ML as a viable option for your table, I strongly recommend purchasing it. I believe the VM540ML could sound even better but what made me hesitate on purchasing it was the fact that it seemed to be a harder cartridge to set up, especially since my GA-312 does not have any VTA adjustment. So yes, the AT-VM95ML is definitely worth it! And thank you everyone for the inputs and help!
 
Sorry for ressurrecting this thread, but I just wanted to provide some closure
Always good to have someone drop back into a thread and provide closure. Easy to direct folks to the question they have that is answered in the forums.

especially since my GA-312 does not have any VTA adjustment.
The use of shims with the alignment gauge is the VTA adjustment on these turntables. So you do have it, just not a knob on the tonearm to move it up and down.
 
Hello everyone! Sorry for ressurrecting this thread, but I just wanted to provide some closure :)

From the 2 cartridges that I was looking at, I ended up going with the relatively cheaper AT-VM95ML, not only because of the price but because of the fact that it seemed to be easier to set up. By having the Philips GA alignment jig 3D printed, it was actually pretty easy to have it aligned, and I couldn't be happier with the sound it is giving me. It was like hearing some of the albums for the first time, especially since I was used to an Ortofon 2m Red.

If you are a person who has a Philips GA turntable and has come across this topic when looking for the AT-VM95ML as a viable option for your table, I strongly recommend purchasing it. I believe the VM540ML could sound even better but what made me hesitate on purchasing it was the fact that it seemed to be a harder cartridge to set up, especially since my GA-312 does not have any VTA adjustment. So yes, the AT-VM95ML is definitely worth it! And thank you everyone for the inputs and help!
Thanks for updating with your findings! I have an Ortofon Super OM 20 on my 312 but I’ve been considering trying an Audio Technica next since I like my VM540ML on my Technics 1210GR so much. The VM95ML does seem like it would make more sense for the 312 from a cost perspective.

By the way, I’m not sure if they are still available, but I’ve bought a jig (a repro), a spare power switch and additional cartridge sleds from Pat’s Audio on eBay in the last few years. They were all high quality.
 
Thanks for updating with your findings! I have an Ortofon Super OM 20 on my 312 but I’ve been considering trying an Audio Technica next since I like my VM540ML on my Technics 1210GR so much. The VM95ML does seem like it would make more sense for the 312 from a cost perspective.

If you like the VM540ML a lot, and can't afford another one, i would suggest the AT-VM530EN or AT-VM520EB or even(yes!) AT-VM510CB. Sound is more similar to the 540ML than to the 95ML. How do i know this? I have both the VM95ML, 540ML, and also the 510CB. And nowadays I think i prefer the 510CB, with conical stylus, than the VM95ML.

The cantilevers and body generators on the VM-5xx line are different than the VM95 line, and this is a big part of the sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom