• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which one to keep (PF-1000, SL-1025)

Vinylcalle

Active Member
Well I have the oportunity to either keep my Yamaha PF-1000 or to sell it and buy a friends Technics SL-1025 (including epa-500 with to changeable tonearms). The problem is I´m not sure what to do. Of course im going to evaluate both by listening to them etc. but I think some "expert" opinions could be helpfull too.

Best regards Carl
 
Register to hide this ad
I've yet to better my PF-1000.

I have a Linn Asak on it as we speak and it's really quite nice.

Good luck.

Eric
 
I own four SP-25s/SL-1025s and three EPA-250s and one EPA-100.

Fantastic arm, really nice table, and best yet, shares plenty of electrical parts with the SL-1200MK2's inner guts.

I imagine the Yamaha is excellent, but you see where my alliance is.
 
I say get the SL-1025 and be done with it forever. The Yamaha is excellent but nowhere near as flexible or as versatile. Lots more upgrade options (you could replinth it if desired and change or add tonearms even). And with reasonable care, it will outlive you. The motor unit in it is the SP-25, it was built to survive radio station use and perform to high standards. Unless a SP-10 Mk II comes your way, you'll really not need anything else when set up really right.
 
Yamahas TOTL turntables the PX-2 and PF-1000 are excellent but I have to advise if you have an opportunity to get a Technics SL-1025 with two Technics tonearms and SH15B2 plinth/dustcover DON'T pass it up. The SL-1025 with a very nice cartridge will run with the big boys, I'm talking up to $5,000 new turntables.
 
Well the Technics will stay. It was better than the Yamaha. The bass is especially better I would say. You can also feel that the quality is even higher in the Technics.

Well I have serviced it and setup everything but there is one problem left, the armlift doesn´t work properly. If I choose for it to go down it takes about 1 minute before its fully down and when i want it to raise up it takes perhaps 20 seconds. The proplem is I don´t know how to get into the arm lift mechanism. Any help would be very appreciated.

Best regards Carl
 
Well the Technics will stay. It was better than the Yamaha. The bass is especially better I would say. You can also feel that the quality is even higher in the Technics.

Well I have serviced it and setup everything but there is one problem left, the armlift doesn´t work properly. If I choose for it to go down it takes about 1 minute before its fully down and when i want it to raise up it takes perhaps 20 seconds. The proplem is I don´t know how to get into the arm lift mechanism. Any help would be very appreciated.

Best regards Carl

That's hardened grease on the lever mechanism.

I've had two of these bases apart (I own three)- they are a royal pain to take apart, and harder to put back together correctly.

You need to remove the half-moon crescent decal (the one with the serial number on it) from the bottom, and that's how you free the lower mechanism from the upper mechanism.

The innards then need to be cleaned out from that old grease- it turns the consistency of caramel or molasses, or worse, glue. Once the old grease is cleaned out, re-grease.

That should cure it. If not, you'll need to clean then re-pack the piston with hydraulic fluid, as used in things like model RC cars.

The
 
Back
Top Bottom