• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which Philips amps are worth buying

I am living in Holland and thought "Philips"! Which old Philips amps are top performers and worth buying? I have seen reference to "Lab Series 578 and 572", but are these available in Europe, or do they have different names/numbers in Europe? Here, I have already seen AH-280 preamp and 380 power amps for sale. Are these any good? Are they European versions of Lab Series? Help please.
 
Register to hide this ad
I used to have Philips separates. Had the touch features. Used them both for about 15 years till lightning got the amp. It was rated at 220 per channel, with 3 db headroom. I still have preamp in the attic. The rca plugs were wearing out on it. Had to jiggle cables to get it to play both channels sometimes.
 
I've seen a few of the 280/380 combos on eBay but never heard either. I think I'd give them a shot but not sure what would be a fair value. The Lab Series appears to have been exported to Europe as there has been traffic about them from there, especially the tuner. I've been using the Lab Series for the last few years. Very recently the amp will not shut off with either the front panel or rear panel power switch. We've been hit with thunderstorms big time during the period and may be the cause of it.

I really like the set and recommend to anyone coming across a set to grab them as they are undervalued big time.
 
Back
Top Bottom