• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which Sansui to pick up?

Nice score. Even with the minor issues, I'd say you made out quite well. And the 9090 is quite the excellent looking bit of gear too. I prefer its look over the somewhat over the top G series - good as they are - because it has just the right amount of "flash" while still being tastefully understated.

Always thought The G's just scream "look at me' by comparison. Which is entirely expected for the time they were made, being it was the tail end of the age of decadence that came about in the 70"s and the look of just about everything at the time reflected that.
 
if you push down on the top of that cap, you'll find its most likely just the plastic disc on the top of the cap.

Yes, that is the case, just plastic on the top and it's not even as bad as it looks in the picture.

Nice score. Even with the minor issues, I'd say you made out quite well. And the 9090 is quite the excellent looking bit of gear too. I prefer its look over the somewhat over the top G series - good as they are - because it has just the right amount of "flash" while still being tastefully understated.
Thanks, feel good about the purchase. All of these issues are minor to me. Don't use AM, so broken antenna holder is not a big issue. I suspect finding a replacement would be a bit expensive. Deoxit and fader lube should do the job on the volume/balance pots. Biggest question are the scratches on top. They don't seem too deep, but it's hard to tell. Sides are actually in really good condition - no scratches or chipping of the veneer that you see on a lot of these cases. Alignment is off, but seems consistently high by about 0.2 MHz, so may be able to just move the pointer a bit.

Like you, I don't care much for the G series in aesthetics. Saw a G5700 locally, and it just didn't do anything for me. I feel the same way about the Pioneer x50 series - all silver is just a bit blah for me. I like the black dial/silver face contrast with blue lights - ooooo! :) And, I'm at the point where I insist on a real wood veneer case.
 
Yes, that is the case, just plastic on the top and it's not even as bad as it looks in the picture.


Thanks, feel good about the purchase. All of these issues are minor to me. Don't use AM, so broken antenna holder is not a big issue. I suspect finding a replacement would be a bit expensive. Deoxit and fader lube should do the job on the volume/balance pots. Biggest question are the scratches on top. They don't seem too deep, but it's hard to tell. Sides are actually in really good condition - no scratches or chipping of the veneer that you see on a lot of these cases. Alignment is off, but seems consistently high by about 0.2 MHz, so may be able to just move the pointer a bit.

Like you, I don't care much for the G series in aesthetics. Saw a G5700 locally, and it just didn't do anything for me. I feel the same way about the Pioneer x50 series - all silver is just a bit blah for me. I like the black dial/silver face contrast with blue lights - ooooo! :) And, I'm at the point where I insist on a real wood veneer case.
I would recommend not physically moving the pointer, it needs to be done properly.
 
No, don't move the pointer or if you ever get it aligned the person doing it may say bad words. If you tune to the bottom, the pointer should line up with the zero mark on the dial when the tuning capacitors hits full closed (knob stops). If that doesn't happen, it needs a bit of mechanical service when the alignment is done.
 
OK, well, I'll likely have to live with the bad alignment then. To get the tuner aligned, closest qualified tech is a 3 or 4 hour drive away, and I suspect the cost is around $100 from what I've read in other threads.
 
OK, well, I'll likely have to live with the bad alignment then. To get the tuner aligned, closest qualified tech is a 3 or 4 hour drive away, and I suspect the cost is around $100 from what I've read in other threads.
Trust me, I align a LOT of tuners, and one of the most annoying things is when people have moved the pointer. 100 is cheap to align a tuner, even in US, am 250-300NZ to align a tuner.
But when you get it back, its perfect and working correctly. Alignment makes a very big difference.
 
Trust me, I align a LOT of tuners, and one of the most annoying things is when people have moved the pointer. 100 is cheap to align a tuner, even in US, am 250-300NZ to align a tuner.
But when you get it back, its perfect and working correctly. Alignment makes a very big difference.
Will it improve reception and sound quality? That would be worth it as I do like to listen to radio. Upon initial comparison, the 9090 is not picking up stations as well as my Pioneer SX-2500, 990 or 828. Those have really good tuners.
 
The 9090 has a very good tuner, and should easily match the performance of the listed Pioneers when operating on spec. One thing Sansui did quite well were tuners, and even in their receivers (versus separates) were almost always above average, if not quite well above in the top end models of a series.

Only exception I've noted is the QRX-9001 which deviated slightly from the trend of very good tuners in a top end receiver, and it isn't bad, just not as good as one might expect for a reciever of its specs and [original] price. But, I think that can be explained as a compromise made due to it having so many other top shelf features.

If nothing else, 40+ years of component drift probably calls for doing an alignment on it, and that assumes no one has tampered with it to this point in time.
 
Will it improve reception and sound quality? That would be worth it as I do like to listen to radio. Upon initial comparison, the 9090 is not picking up stations as well as my Pioneer SX-2500, 990 or 828. Those have really good tuners.
Yes, the 9090 tuner should outperform any of those Pioneer tuners, Sansui tuners generally sound better than the Pioneer tuners, but sometimes they don't quite have the selectivity and sensitivity of the Pioneers.
Pioneer always used exceptional front end packages.
Once the G9000 came out, and the G22000, those tuners surpassed anything Pioneer did at that time.
The TU-9900 was a great tuner as well, easily has the sensitivity and selectivity of the best tuners around, can almost rival a MR78...


So yes, get it aligned, you'll be surprised at what a difference it will make.
 
Everybody beat me to it, but I'll add my two cents- If Sansui knew anything, it was sure as heck how to design good tuners!
 
Everybody beat me to it, but I'll add my two cents- If Sansui knew anything, it was sure as heck how to design good tuners!
Yes indeed they did know how to design tuners. Have a look at the tuner in the G22/33000, then for fun, look at the TU-X1, that thing is the most insane tuner design you'll ever see, they thought of everything....
The AM part is as equally incredible.
Its as close to a "pro grade" tuner you'll ever get!!
 
Suggestion: Read some of Dr Audio's thread at the top of the tuner forum and give your tuner a decent cleaning before you take it to a tech for alignment. Make sure you understand the instructions and follow them carefully. Most anything that old (except "antiques") needs a good cleaning once and a while. Just take a clean cloth and run it across the cabinets in your kitchen. Don't tell your wife or she will let you clean them all!
 
Anyone have a qualified tech/shop they can recommend? I live in La Crosse, WI, so closest large metro areas are Minneapolis, MN, Madison or Milwaukee, WI. Beyond that it would be Chicago area.

The local guy that buys/sells/repairs audio equipment does not align tuners. I think he actually might have the necessary equipment, but he won't do alignments - I've asked him before. Not because he can't, but I think because he finds it too complicated.
 
Yes indeed they did know how to design tuners. Have a look at the tuner in the G22/33000, then for fun, look at the TU-X1, that thing is the most insane tuner design you'll ever see, they thought of everything....
The AM part is as equally incredible.
Its as close to a "pro grade" tuner you'll ever get!!

When I purchased my AU-X1 it was being offered with the matching TU-X1 that was also in mint condition. Both were one owner units that had been pampered. I was tempted because I knew the TU-X1 was/is the king of tuners (or at least in a select club among the very best) but since I never listen to the radio outside of my car, I passed on the TU.

Every once in a while I regret that I didn't keep the lifelong pair together.
 
Last edited:
As I received the 9090, the F-2436-1 board in place has the foil side facing the front. I've noticed in pictures and videos that some have the board in the opposite direction. Service manual shows it with VR pots facing the back, so foil side toward the front. Why do people put this board in backwards?
 
The board is symmetrical, comprised of two identical driver stage circuits, one for right and one for left. Therefore, It can be run inserted in the reverse direction without any harm, but should be pulled and reinstalled as intended.
 
When I purchased my AU-X1 it was being offered with the matching TU-X1 that was also in mint condition. Both were one owner units that had been pampered. I was tempted because I knew the TU-X1 was/is the king of tuners (or at least in a select club among the very best) but since I never listen to the radio outside of my car, I passed on the TU.

Every once in a while I regret that I didn't keep the lifelong pair together.
I'm into tuners, I like them, I work on them, align them have a fascination with all things RF related.
I think a TU-X1 would be a welcome addition to my system....
 
Back
Top Bottom