• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which speakers should I keep?

CitizenNorm

New Member
I am trying to decide which of my speakers to match up with my Marantz 4270 and am looking for suggestions.

The sets of speakers I currently have are:
Pioneer CS 99A (two pair)
Pioneer CS 77A
KLH model 6
University Medallion XII
Ampex 620F
Wharfedale W60
Pioneer CS 63DX
Electrovoice (older, unsure of the model as they have no markings)
Sansui SP 1500

The two that I'm pretty set on keeping are the Ampex and the KLH. As far as receivers go I have a Sony STR 6055 that I can't bring myself to part with because its been so reliable and a Fisher 500C that I've been waiting months for my repair guy to finish working on it. Thats pretty much it.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sell them all. Get a pair of ADS L1230s, recap the L1230s with polyprolene caps, and hook them to your Fisher 500C.
 
Well first of, you keep as many gears as possible :D, but I realize that sometime you have to thin the herd.

The following are only personnel polites suggestions, and not meant to offend the OP. :thmbsp:

I like Pioneer speakers although some are just OK for sound.
Keep one set of CS 99A, great looking, can bring a ton of money on Ebay, but sound wise, they are marginal.

The Pioneer CS 77A, better sounding than the 99A, and they look fantastic.
I would keep them, if you can.

The Pioneer CS 63DX, marginal Pioneer, you decide, me, I would sell them to the highest bidder.

The KLH-6, that a no brainer, you keep, for ever.

University Medaillon XII, don't know anything about them ??

Ampex 620F, you already made your decision.

Electrovoice, keep them for now, and do some research. I don't know much about them, but they do have a following, and some claim to be excellent speakers. You could have a treasure in your hands ??
http://hifilit.com./hifilit/Electro-Voice/Electro-Voice.htm

The Wharfedale W60, keep them if you can, they are excellent speakers.

Sansui SP 1500, don't know much about them. ??

But at the end of the day, keep the one that sound and look the best to you.
 
Last edited:
Keep the KLH 6's.

The Pioneers seem to have mediocre comments, the others I have not heard.

The 6's seem to really shine with tubes from what's been said on AK.
I have two pairs and are keepers.

Just my 2c.
 
Keep the Wharfedales and Universities... That 500c will make them sound glorious... Believe me this...
hand-gesture.jpg


The Medallion XII's are wonderful speakers according to every person I've talked to that owns them. And I own a pair of 2-way alnico W60's myself along with an 800c. The W60's sound best when placed on their sides and about 30" off the floor (Tweeter on the left for each cab... Don't try to mirror-image them). They were actually designed as bookshelf speakers and were meant to be placed that way. If you look at the old W60 magazine ads, you'll see they have the speaker sitting horizontally rather than vertical (Vertical placement is okay too, but they sound best on their sides, but you have to raise them an additional 10 or more inches to compensate for the repositioning of the tweeters... You always want the tweeters sitting at eye-level, regardless of how you place them). One important thing to remember is that you need to get them both equal distance from you. Break out the tape measure. The real magic lies within that last half-inch of tolerance.

Oh, and the Sixes too... That's a great, well-designed speaker.
 
Last edited:
Out of the 2 pairs of the CS-99a's that you have, does one of the pairs have the "FB" stamp on all the cones? If so, I'd sell the pair that doesn't have the stamps and just keep the pair that does. Trust me, you'll regret selling the "FB" marked pair over the other pair that don't have it.
 
Out of the 2 pairs of the CS-99a's that you have, does one of the pairs have the "FB" stamp on all the cones? If so, I'd sell the pair that doesn't have the stamps and just keep the pair that does. Trust me, you'll regret selling the "FB" marked pair over the other pair that don't have it.

What's the significance of the "FB"? Just wondering... for future reference.
 
Keep the KLH 6's.

The Pioneers seem to have mediocre comments, the others I have not heard.

The 6's seem to really shine with tubes from what's been said on AK.
I have two pairs and are keepers.

Just my 2c.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind scoring a cheap pair of Sixes or Fives with "utility" cabs someday so I can try them with tubes. I like the KLH sound better than most other mid-level east coast brands from the '60's and '70's (I like a very-musical-sounding speaker).
 
I would def sell the KLH 6 to me for a good price.
My buddy had stacked CS99's that to me sounded awesome.
 
The "FB" stamp implies that the mids, highs and the woofer have been reworked for improved damping and they never rot. Also, they produce a more "natrual" sound and not so "boomy".
 
Last edited:
Keep them all. Every pair of speakers I've sold our given away in the past I now wish I had kept, except for a pair of Panasonic's. :D
 
"FB" on the Pioneer cones stands for "free beating". Beileive it came from the way the pulp fibers for the cones are beaten during the process. IIRC. As far as the sound goes, the weren't my cup of tea for the classic rock and stuff I listen too. The guy who bought mine brought some bluegrass music to listen too and I (and him) thought they sounded pretty darn good playing that type of music. I imagine they might do jazz pretty well also.
 
Last edited:
Out of the 2 pairs of the CS-99a's that you have, does one of the pairs have the "FB" stamp on all the cones? If so, I'd sell the pair that doesn't have the stamps and just keep the pair that does. Trust me, you'll regret selling the "FB" marked pair over the other pair that don't have it.

All CS-99's were "fiber beaten" cones early productions were not marked.
Out of the whole lot i would keep the KLH 6's FOREVER! in fact get another pair, running four is audio nirvana
 
Back
Top Bottom