• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

which stylus for an AT14SA cartridge

eidling

Active Member
There are three choices that appear to be options on the page at the URL below. They are all priced the same, so which would be best? :dunno:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen= CTGY&Store_Code=LG&Category_Code=AS1


ATN14 Audio-Technica ATN14 ATN-14 phonograph needle stylus

ATN140LC Audio-Technica ATN140LC ATN-140LC needle stylus, ATN440MLa needle stylus

ATN140ML Audio-Technica ATN140ML ATN-140ML needle stylus, ATN440MLa needle stylus

thanks!!
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks Howard - are these the same item, just priced differently? They both are Shibatas....

Also - I also have an At140LC. Which cartridge is better the AT14SA or 140LC? And which is the best stylus for the AT140LC? I've primarily used Shures, Stantons / Pickerings, but never Audio-Technicas, but I've been reading so much about them on AK, I am very interested in getting a JICO or something else that will be an upgrade for these carts.

thanks again!!

Michael
 
Last edited:
Michael, yes, they are the same styli from two different dealers, priced differently.

Very hard to say about the difference in quality from the 14Sa and the 140LC. The 140 was the successor to the 14Sa. I believe the LC was just the new name for a Shibata after the quadraphonic craze fizzled. My understanding, though is that the microline stylus is even narrower and more refined.

The styli you see for the 140 at lpgear are the same--they are actually for the AT-440MLa, which is the same body type. Stereoneedles carries the original 140LC stylus. I would guess the 440 stylus is better, but I never heard the 140.

These styli are the top styli--there is nowhere to go in upgrades other than the ATN-155 and 160 you see on the Stereoneedles page, or an ATN-150MLX. Actually I've never tried that, but considering it's almost half the cost of the cartridge, it might be worth a try. JICO only has the ATN-152LC and ML (both the same, a Shibata, just listed twice for the benefit of those owners of each original cartridge) which will fit the 140. It's excellent, but no better than the originals IMO.
 
Michael: In addition to what Howard already said, other than the genuine Shibata ATN14 you could also use several high quality ellipticals, namely the ATN13, the ATN13EaX/EaV, the ATN14E and the ATN14Ea, on your AT14Sa. Just so you know that you have an alternative in case you don't want a Shibata...

Well, and as Howard already said, the AT140LC practically was the successor of the AT14Sa, just like the AT440ML(/OCC) and AT440MLa were the successors of the AT140LC. Disadvantage of the AT14Sa is that the ATN14 is already the best needle you can use on this AT body without modification, whereas there are several even better needles one can use on the 120 family body of the AT140LC, both of the 120 family and of the very closely related 102P family for T4P/P-Mount. Most attractive one I'm currently aware of would be the ATN152LP (that's a nude LinearContact with square shank on a beryllium cantilever) for almost exactly 100 bucks from Garage-a-records. However, a nude Shibata with square shank on a tapered alu cantilever isn't bad either, and in addition the AT14Sa has a CD4 Quadro optimised body with lowered inductance. Hence it's rather hard to predict which one will suit better to your taste and system.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Thank you Howard and Manfred, and please forgive me if I take this further, but my funds are limited, and I want to get the best results for my money, and I really don't understand enough to decide on my own.

My impression from your comments is, if I must choose, the AT140LC seems preferrable, particularly given the fact it is a closer relative of the oft-discussed and revered AT440MLa.

Manfred - by "most attractive" are you saying you think the ATN152LP is the best stylus for my 140LC?

Howard - In the last paragraph of your message - are you saying the stylii from the ATN-155, ATN-160, ATN-150MLX would also work?

So, ML = microline and LC = line contact and Line Contact is better ("even narrower and more refined")?

I am getting clearer on this and more confused at the same time, but I thank you both!!

Michael
 
My understanding is that ML is a narrower tip shape than LC, but the original 152LP dates from when beryllium was still used for cantilevers--it is preferable to the aluminum used in the AT440MLa because it is lower mass. For $99 this (ATN-152LP at garage-a-records) appears to be the best value. The 155, 160 and 150MLX will cost more. On rethinking, I cannot confirm that the 150MLX will fit/work. Maybe Manfred has some thoughts on this. But in any case that would cost $175 or so.
 
I have the 120 with a 440/MLa stylus. It fits just fine, but is not worth it sonically. I have not tried to mount my 150MLX stylus in either the 120 or 440 bodies, but I suspect it will fit fine. The MLX is a gold plated boron tube and is a very elegant stylus design. It should fit the 140 body and would offer miclo-line diamond and boron tube for the 140 body. I'd call LPGear and discuss? They will say if the have tried the fit up :)
 
I will take this further, and as you have mentioned though, your limited amount of funds, but I'll assume, that probably one of the best, if not the very best retrofit Stylus replacement for the AT-14Sa, would be the ATN-15SS Stylus, which has a Beryllium Cantilever and nude Shibata Stylus.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, that the Stylus' for the 14, 15, and 20 series of Cartridges are all interchangeable. Howard can reconfirm this. The ATN-15SS Stylus though, is about $109 from LPGear. Mark
 
Thanks again Howard and thank you Broc. Good to know the 440/MLa on the 120 series cart does not seem worth it. The price of the 150MLX is prohibitive for me. Perhaps someday!! I'm leaning toward making the AT140LC the priority and most likely going with the ATN-152LP at garage-a-records.

But (another!!) question... the JICO site lists a quadraphonic Shibata stylus for $87 plus shipping of about $10. Is it the same stylus? see: http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=110

I may still order from garage-a-records, but I am curious.

thanks again to each of you who have replied so far...

Michael
 
Just to comment on Mark's statement about the 14, 15, and 20. It's the 13 and 14 that are compatible and the 15 and 20 that are compatible.

The ATN-152LP at JICO is their aftermarket version of that stylus. It's excellent (I got one back when it was $19--apparently it was an oversight and they made sure to correct that :tears:) However being new, it is not beryllium. The garage-a-records version even at $10 more is the best buy.
 
Thanks Howard!! So, if I understand correctly, the ATN-15SS Stylus would not be compatible with the AT140LC, correct? thanks!
 
Last edited:
Michael: By most attractive I meant that the ATN152LP for 100 bucks should be the most priceworthy of the top class needles for the 120/102P family at the moment.

Howard: Sorry, can't confirm it either, but I'm 99,99% sure that the ATN150MLX fits on any 120 family body. I don't intend to try it myself, though - at least not anytime soon, as my cart & needle stock is still pretty well filled anyway. In addition, there still are nice new old stock goodies out there, including a couple of brands that are yet missing in my collection - hence trying an ATN150MLX ranks pretty low on my personal curiosity list...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I can confirm that the ATN150ea stylus will fit on a AT440MLa, and also on Signet TK6/TK4, SLT96, Realistic RX1500.... in other words all members of the 102 and 120 families respectively....

bye for now

David
 
Back
Top Bottom