• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which Technics to get?

I had an SL1400 mk2 that I bought new in 70's. The cuing lift mechanism broke twice in 20 years I had it. Second time, told parts not available. And the coil springs supporting the platter wore out so it dragged. Those likely could be replaced with generic. Believe 1300, 1400 and 1500 were auto, semi and manual versions of same. Don't know if cue had design flaw.
 
Last edited:
I had an SL1400 mk2 that I bought new in 70's. The cuing mechanism broke twice in 20 years I had it. Second time, told parts not available. And the coil springs supporting the platter wore out so it dragged. Those likely could be replaced with generic. Believe 1300, 1400 and 1500 were auto, semi and manual versions of same. Don't know if cue had design flaw.
I believe the 1500 is a "mk 1" so the cueing mechanism is less problematic
 
There seems to be a number of people here who value the better build quality/less complicated nature of the sl1500, and some that believe the 1600mk2 is worth almost $200 more. Its interesting, and I think I would probably be happy with both, but I think the simplicity factor of the 1500 is becoming more attractive to me, especially if I can pick it up for less than the advertised price.
 
This is a tough call.

A 1600Mk2 in good operational condition is an excellent deck, but there's a lot that can go wrong, and apparently already has. I've got a parts unit sitting in the shop that's deader than a doornail. Just up and died on the customer one day. Probably a dead solder joint (or a few) but it's going to be a bear finding it. The circuits on that model are insane.

A 1500 has much, much less to go wrong. It's a manual deck! And as has been said here already, build quality was better on the earlier models.

So it's really a question of convenience (the 1600 Mk2) vs reliability (the 1500). In terms of sound quality, the 1600Mk2 gets the edge, but it's not a huge delta. they're both fine performers.

I see you're in Durham, and the CL listings are for your area if you're curious. I'm on the coast but visit the triangle often.

The 1600 mk2 has no pictures attached to the ad for some reason. Perhaps he wanted only serious buyers who knew the table by name.

Do you work on turntables? I picked up a business card from all day in Carrboro a while back and am wondering if its you.
 
I see you're in Durham, and the CL listings are for your area if you're curious. I'm on the coast but visit the triangle often.

The 1600 mk2 has no pictures attached to the ad for some reason. Perhaps he wanted only serious buyers who knew the table by name.

Do you work on turntables? I picked up a business card from all day in Carrboro a while back and am wondering if its you.
Yep -- been doing turntable work for All Day for many years now.

I'm in the Triangle but visit the coast often :D (Emerald Isle/AB/Morehead). I'd be happy to help you out with any maintenance/repair needs. Shoot me a private message and I'll send you contact info.

I'll check those CL ads to see if it's someone I know.
 
I'm looking at three turntables on craigslist. I currently have a Philips 212 that works but needs RCA cables replaced as they occasionally short out. I'm in the market for something a bit heavier duty and reliable and have narrowed in on three technics tables on CL:

1. Technics SL-23 - $100 - Looks to be in very clean condition and has been serviced.

2. Technics SL-1500 - $200 - Has been serviced and is superficially less clean than the 23, missing two feet. I know i can easily acquire replacement feet so that is not an issue.

3. Technics SL-1600 mk2 - $375 - This is potentially too expensive for me at the moment, but if its a great deal, then I might be able to make the stretch, as its likely the last turntable I'll buy for a long time.

I do like the thought of direct drive, but am not so clear on the potential sonic differences between my Philips and these tables (Although I did see a thread comparing the SL 23 and Philips 212, and the philips was recommended).

Any thoughts and recommendations will be much appreciated.

#2 and #3 are the best choices. And what Technics built best. Their turntable expertise is in Direct Drive. Of the 2 DD models, I would err on the side of the SL 1500, simpler mechanically, and would be the best over the long haul. But do bear in mind, it is manual. Like bangsezmax, I repair turntables. And I go for simpler every time. Either #2 or #3 in top condition are lifetime buys. The feet are no issue.
 
Back
Top Bottom