• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which to keep, which to gift: Rogers LS2, Royd A7 or Linn Tukan?

webwebster

New Member
My best friend is building his first vintage system and asked me to help. I'm no expert but I know what I like...usually. When he asked me to help him put it together on a tight budget, I steered him towards a Yamaha CR-400 in excellent condition at a great price and offered to give him a set of my extra speakers. Now the receiver has arrived and I need to choose which set of speakers to gift him. I have a four-speaker set-up in my living room and simple stereo in my office. The main speakers in the living room - connected to a Sansui AU-555a, TU-505 tuner, RA-500 reverb amp and MIcroSeiki DD-24 with a Grado Gold cartridge - are, and will remain, AR6s; the secondary set at present are Royd A7s. The office system is currently Linn Tukans on a Jolida FX10 tube amp; and the spare speaker set are Rogers LS2s. All are either restored or otherwise perfect. So my question is, which speakers should I give to my friend? Keeping the AR6s, and the Royds hold a certain nostalgic value for me (I owned and loved a pair in the mid-80s) but I will pass them along if the consensus seems to be that they should go.

Many thanks in advance for your input.
 
Register to hide this ad
I ended up giving him the Rogers. I also had n old pair of Tannoy 635s that we compared, and they sounded awful. He loves the Rogers (they’re white and go with their decor, on top of sounding beautiful with the Yamaha). So does his girlfriend.
 
I ended up giving him the Rogers. I also had n old pair of Tannoy 635s that we compared, and they sounded awful. He loves the Rogers (they’re white and go with their decor, on top of sounding beautiful with the Yamaha). So does his girlfriend.
You are an excellent friend!
 
I ended up giving him the Rogers. I also had n old pair of Tannoy 635s that we compared, and they sounded awful. He loves the Rogers (they’re white and go with their decor, on top of sounding beautiful with the Yamaha). So does his girlfriend.
Should have kept the Rogers. Tell him you want them back because I said so. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom