• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which version of the B&W 802 is the best (with the diamond tweeter)

Currently, B&W has created 4 variations of the 802 (with the diamond tweeter): 802d, 802 diamond, 802 d3, and 802 d4.

After listening to all of them over the years, I believe the first version actually sounded the best.

Does anyone else agree with me on this conclusion? (let's not include the N802s).
 
Register to hide this ad
You lost me, when you restricted the discussion to the ones with the diamond tweeter...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
You lost me, when you restricted the discussion to the ones with the diamond tweeter...

Regards,
Gordon.
Well, I didn't want the discussion to get confusing with too many models or variations of those models. I primarily focused on the 802's w/diamond tweeters because for every new version most forums and reviews praise the new version and disregard the older version.
 
Well, I didn't want the discussion to get confusing with too many models or variations of those models. I primarily focused on the 802's w/diamond tweeters because for every new version most forums and reviews praise the new version and disregard the older version.

I go back even farther. My favorite 802 models were the Series 80s, and the Matrix 802s, from the late 1980s.

I thought they had a general, gradual progression of increasing brightness after that.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I go back even farther. My favorite 802 models were the Series 80s, and the Matrix 802s, from the late 1980s.

I thought they had a general, gradual progression of increasing brightness after that.

Regards,
Gordon.
You are getting to my point in a roundabout way. I feel that every version of the 802 with the diamond tweeter, has gotten brighter and more annoying
 
You are getting to my point in a roundabout way. I feel that every version of the 802 with the diamond tweeter, has gotten brighter and more annoying

IMHO, you are not wrong.

It's a bit out of control- when some company actually designs an amp (the Audiocompaniet Nemo), specifically voiced with a rolled-off top end, to counter the brightness of the Nautilus 802 and 801. That's a pretty strong indication that something is out of whack.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Currently, B&W has created 4 variations of the 802 (with the diamond tweeter): 802d, 802 diamond, 802 d3, and 802 d4.

After listening to all of them over the years, I believe the first version actually sounded the best.

Does anyone else agree with me on this conclusion? (let's not include the N802s).
I am happy to report that I have a pair of s1's. LOVE THEM! :)
To be honest, I have not sampled the s2 or s3 versions. Given a chance Id love to. But Im happy with my s1's. Easy on the ears. Geat dynamic range. Next on the try list are a pair of earth anchors. Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom