• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who could afford S.L.R. and superior rangefinder cameras back in the days

Telecolor 3007

I love old stuff
I was taking a look on some old photo catalogues, 1958 and 1963. The price of better cameras, rangefinders and S.L.R. where big... at least 2,000 $ for a camera in today's money, but some where around 4,000 $. Who could afford or was eager to spent such money on photo gear back in the days.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've been shooting Nikon since 1971 or so. I could never afford the top bodies new, but did just fine with a used F. Grey market manual Nikkor lenses were generally affordable, and the warranty risk was fine because nothing ever went wrong- no electronics. You have to be careful about "today's money" because back then the priorities and expenses were wildly different than today. No cell phones or plans. Cars were way cheaper. Food was way cheaper. Housing and apartments were way cheaper. I'm talking proportionate to income. Yeah, we didn't make that much, but it seemed to go a lot further. Maybe you made $10k/yr. A new car could be had for $2-3k. A three-year loan was typical. Today you might make $75k, hopefully more. but a new SUV can be $30-60k, or way more. The loan can be six years or more. Back than you could get by if only one parent worked. Prior to that, post war, people were, I think, more frugal. My dad saved up and bought a Retina IIIc. He used that camera the rest of his life because there was no reason to replace it. At least until he got a cheap digital on eBay. That was also the era when people made things. If you couldn't afford a copy stand, you made one. Heck, wood and building materials were cheaper. Heathkits made financial and performance sense. Today the concept is a non-starter.

I have a modest mirrorless setup and a few lenses, but I spent more on those than the combined total of all the cameras and stuff from my film days put together. And you still had to buy film!
 
^^^^^^^^^
Excellent post about affordability and priorities.

Utilities and insurance were also less money, proportionate to income.
No expensive cell phones or streaming services, or in my case at the time, no cable bill.
 
Medical was a lot less too. My dad was in the Army and I was born in an Army hospital. I think the bill was under $10. So now you know what my opinions are really worth!
 
Back
Top Bottom