• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who Do You Think Is Bigger In Popularity Nirvana or Foo Fighters??

Nirvana had one great album (Nevermind), that's about it. As groundbreaking as that album was, I would rather listen to The Foo Fighters. Better musicianship, good to great songs, and a better perspective on life.
 
I guess where I'm coming from on this, is that a huge bunch of us were already far away from White Lion and Winger. There was a ton of excellent underground music then and before, you simply had to go Left of the Dial (purposefully making a reference some might get). They're popular because they were the most palatable of the bands to switch the top-40 format. I remember the first time that I heard them, I had no idea what they looked like, and I dismissed them as just another metal band of some sort. Outside of the context of 'grunge', Teen Spirit did not sound that different from a lot of other stuff going on at the time. I was 17 when that song hit. Nobody I knew listened to Winger or White Lion. We were listening to The Pixies and The Replacements (among other stuff). Smoosh those bands together and ad a singer more attractive and marketable than Frank Black and less incoherently drunk than Paul Westerberg, and you get Nirvana.

That is very true. Listen to Nirvana and you can hear The Replacements.

As good as it all was- and it was all very good- wasn't it just a marriage of Led Zep and the Clash? The return of power rock with a punk tinge so as to avoid the retread label and the return of Arena Rock accusations?

Nothing wrong with it. R&R is a very moldable art form.
 
That is very true. Listen to Nirvana and you can hear The Replacements.

As good as it all was- and it was all very good- wasn't it just a marriage of Led Zep and the Clash? The return of power rock with a punk tinge so as to avoid the retread label and the return of Arena Rock accusations?

Nothing wrong with it. R&R is a very moldable art form.

I remember a Paul Westerberg video where he walked by a grungy guy (that looked like Cobain) sitting behind a drum kit, that Paul kicked over in his face. It was a nice, not-so-subtle dig at what the genre stole from. Bastards of Young rocked out like Nirvana never could- they were too preoccupied with self indulgent twenty-something-angst (and this from a Smiths fan!).

I think you're giving them too much credit with Led Zep and The Clash. I think they're more like Boston and that boy band from Malcolm McClaren.
 
Without a doubt, Nirvana. They changed the game, for better or worse. That's why they still have a cult following.
 
I think you're giving them too much credit with Led Zep and The Clash. I think they're more like Boston and that boy band from Malcolm McClaren.

:lmao:
So I take it I'm not the only who gets the feeling that Teen Spirit sounds a little like The Pixies doing More Than A Feeling?
 
I remember a Paul Westerberg video where he walked by a grungy guy (that looked like Cobain) sitting behind a drum kit, that Paul kicked over in his face. It was a nice, not-so-subtle dig at what the genre stole from. Bastards of Young rocked out like Nirvana never could- they were too preoccupied with self indulgent twenty-something-angst (and this from a Smiths fan!).

I think you're giving them too much credit with Led Zep and The Clash. I think they're more like Boston and that boy band from Malcolm McClaren.

No, I just mean whether it was the Replacements, Pearl Jam, Nirvana or whomever, the sound had the power chords and heavy bass of power rock like LZ or the Who with the snarl, anger, and angst of the Clash or similiar.

I never saw Nirvana as innovative so much as just a breath of fresh air. After a decade of atrocities like Culture Club topping the charts, it was cool to have a bunch of long hairs slamming their guitars. What can I say? Jack Lord likes feedback.:music:
 
What can I say? Jack Lord likes feedback.:music:

Thin White Rope's 1987 album, Moonhead features twin guitars and lots of feedback. Good Desert Rock/Paisley Underground stuff.

As is often the case, there's tons of great indie stuff out there. What makes Nirvana unique is their HUGE popularity. Seeing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" over and over on MTv was kinda cool after so much Karma Chameleon.
 
Thin White Rope's 1987 album, Moonhead features twin guitars and lots of feedback. Good Desert Rock/Paisley Underground stuff.

As is often the case, there's tons of great indie stuff out there. What makes Nirvana unique is their HUGE popularity. Seeing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" over and over on MTv was kinda cool after so much Karma Chameleon.

Exactly. Of course it came with frustration for those who had been making the effort to divine good underground music for a decade.
 
No, I just mean whether it was the Replacements, Pearl Jam, Nirvana or whomever, the sound had the power chords and heavy bass of power rock like LZ or the Who with the snarl, anger, and angst of the Clash or similiar.

I never saw Nirvana as innovative so much as just a breath of fresh air. After a decade of atrocities like Culture Club topping the charts, it was cool to have a bunch of long hairs slamming their guitars. What can I say? Jack Lord likes feedback.:music:

Wait, I thought Nirvana saved us from long-hairs slamming their guitars. So what if they were long haired in a way that made them look lady-like?
 
Wait, I thought Nirvana saved us from long-hairs slamming their guitars. So what if they were long haired in a way that made them look lady-like?

Well, if you found ole Kurt to be attractive in that way, well, whatever floats your boat, bro.:scratch2:
 
I like them both equally. I've never heard the full catalog of both, but I think they both have good stuff. Plus the newer Foo Fighter's don't sound like Nirvana, so I wouldn't compare them to each other anyway.
 
I don't think either left the impact that people think they did or do. Grunge was a flash in the pan and just lead to copycats, and even that only lasted a few years (and was itself a copycat of other things, including the much better (IMO) Pixies. Is it really something to say that your sound lead to Candlebox or Creed or Bush?

I dont' recall hearing a Foo Fighters song played in the past 10 years. It may be on top-40 radio (I saw they're playing the grammies) but they're completely outside of influencing anything my friends and I listen to.

:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Popular? Certainly Foo Fighters, as others have said, because of sheer longevity. Just going by definition here. Influencial? I guess I'd say Nirvana...

I like Nirvana FWIW, although I've always prefered Alice in Chains and Soundgarden out of the "big four". As for Foo Fighters, I find them to be MOR, which in a sense is not such a bad thing. They have always sounded about the same and I can't say I ever was crazy about anything they played, nor did I strongly dislike any of it. I have to admit to a fair dose of nostalgic-bias here though; I was starting high-school when grunge was peaking and that indelibly marked my musical tastes.

Lots of other cool music was going on back then, about which I did not have much of a clue. Look at my current avatar (Slint - Spiderland cover for posterity ;) ), this came out 1991 and I've only discovered that a few years ago, crazy! :)

az
 
Last edited:
The one band that I enjoyed the most fom that era was Screaming Trees . In fact , they just put out an unreleased album . It is good .

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Words-Re...86C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327591810&sr=8-1

Now this got my attention:yes:

I like Nirvana ok, I liked them better when they first came out:scratch2: I don't listen to them at all anymore.

I much preferred Soundgarden and the Screaming Trees, and to a lesser extent Alice in Chains. I don't listen to them at all anymore but I do have an abiding love of Mark Lanegan's solo work. Bubblegum is one of my all time favorites. I realize this is completely off topic:D

Foo Fighters I find to be immediately forgettable, although I do like Dave Grohl's drumming in Them Crooked Vultures.

As far as a popularity contest, who knows?
 
Now this got my attention:yes:

I like Nirvana ok, I liked them better when they first came out:scratch2: I don't listen to them at all anymore.

I much preferred Soundgarden and the Screaming Trees, and to a lesser extent Alice in Chains. I don't listen to them at all anymore but I do have an abiding love of Mark Lanegan's solo work. Bubblegum is one of my all time favorites. I realize this is completely off topic:D

Foo Fighters I find to be immediately forgettable, although I do like Dave Grohl's drumming in Them Crooked Vultures.

As far as a popularity contest, who knows?

Some of the songs from Screaming Trees new album called Last Words .

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...8l62438l0l63297l11l11l0l8l8l0l172l422l1.2l3l0
 
The one band that I enjoyed the most fom that era was Screaming Trees . In fact , they just put out an unreleased album . It is good .

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Words-Re...ing Trees) solo work since is quite good too.
 
Back
Top Bottom