• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who got the AR3s at NJ estate sale?

Register to hide this ad
I used to live in the area and frequently went to those estate sales until the stupidity of the people handling them and the "feeding frenzy" behavior of the people who showed up to them soured me off them for good.

The list of complaints are the usual ones. Things that were pictured in the listings were somehow already "sold" even if you were among the very fist people inside on the first day of the sale. Plus the insane pricing where total junk had huge price tags and "good" stuff went for practically nothing...except if it was damaged or in obvious bad shape. In that case the price jumped up significantly.

One score I did make was a mint Minolta SR-T 102 SLR with it's prime lens intact for $20 only because it was under a pile of literal junk and no one had noticed it beforehand or knew what it was when I asked about it. I had to laugh as I paid for it because there was an old Kodak *instamatic* they were selling for $40. Strange....:screwy:

It sounds like those speakers never made it to the sale at all. I 'm sorry if that was the main reason you went to it for. Did you have to wait on line and use that silly numbering system?
 
It sounds like those speakers never made it to the sale at all. I 'm sorry if that was the main reason you went to it for. Did you have to wait on line and use that silly numbering system?


Nah, I refuse to show up an hour early to get a number. If there was some guarantee I'd get what I want, I might consider it, but I'm sure either there'd be someone ahead of me, or I'd find out that the speakers are priced at eBay levels anyway. There was a guy at the sale buying up all the better furniture and I overheard him tell someone that he left his house at 4 AM that morning. He had a commercial van. I can't compete with those professional pickers.

Despite the competition, I do score occasionally at northern NJ sales, but pretty much never on anything pictured in the estatesales.net ad.
 
Early Boids

Nah, I refuse to show up an hour early to get a number. If there was some guarantee I'd get what I want, I might consider it, but I'm sure either there'd be someone ahead of me, or I'd find out that the speakers are priced at eBay levels anyway. There was a guy at the sale buying up all the better furniture and I overheard him tell someone that he left his house at 4 AM that morning. He had a commercial van. I can't compete with those professional pickers.

Despite the competition, I do score occasionally at northern NJ sales, but pretty much never on anything pictured in the estatesales.net ad.

Sometimes I score at estate or garage sales. Prices however, remain pretty stiff in the first hours of the sale. In the second day the prices drop.
In an area as densely populated as is the case here, I think you really do have to get to these sales earlier rather than later, or get really, really lucky.
Most cool things move fast, and a bird in hand is worth two in the 'bay, as they say.
On occasion, I have scored later in the day, especially when, say, a camera is missing an accessory item, like a battery. Something like that, I can pick up and later return with to test the functions.
 
Back
Top Bottom